• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Masters

Spieth leads by 2 after sinking that putt

Tiger in the water...dont change your swing all the time

He can't have the same swing as he did when he was 25, the stresses on his body would have him crippled in five years if he carried on like that. He's already had chronic back and knee problems. He's never been that flash at hitting fairways anyway, it was his ability to scramble to within 10 foot from virtually anywhere and having the best short game of anyone by a mile which made him such an incredible player. He can't do either of those any more. He's as relevant to the business end of majors these days as Michael Owen is in the voting for the Ballon D'Or.

Yeah, i think he has recently changed it again though? Is that because of his past aches or to improve his game?

Tiger in the water...dont change your swing all the time

His back couldn't cope with his old swing and so he's had to change it but he can't find one he's happy with. It's got to be tough when you have to completely remodel your swing that arguably made you best golfer to have ever played the game.

Yeah, i think he has recently changed it again though? Is that because of his past aches or to improve his game?

Bit of both really. The thing is he can't accept that the days of him challenging properly are gone, no-one lasts forever. He had a dozen years at the very top of the game and he wasn't just the best, he was absolutely miles better than anyone else. That in itself is exceptional but it's all in the past now, he won't get near winning another major. Even if St Andrews threw up ultra-benign conditions (which is pretty much the only way I ever see him coming close again) there are players around now who'd batter him.

Very interesting first day. Tiger has shown some good touches.
Spieth has been brilliant.

I actually feel sorry for the guy now. He's pretending he's going this tournament for the love of the game, all smiles and hugs, but his decline must be killing him mentally. It's a shame that he never surpassed jacks major record, as he's the greatest golfer that ever lived, and deserves the stats and trophies that back that up unanimously. For such a fiercely competitive bloke, being reduced to an also ran must be fucking awful.

I actually feel sorry for the guy now. He's pretending he's going this tournament for the love of the game, all smiles and hugs, but his decline must be killing him mentally. It's a shame that he never surpassed jacks major record, as he's the greatest golfer that ever lived, and deserves the stats and trophies that back that up unanimously. For such a fiercely competitive bloke, being reduced to an also ran must be fucking awful.

I suppose different players react to it in different ways, across all sports. Owen gave it all up at 32, he'd accepted a seat on United's bench for three years before that as well when he should theoretically still have been well capable of doing it for a host of clubs just outside the elite. Beckham kept playing for as long as he could, I have no doubt that if he still could he'd be gunning to get back in England's squad even now. Look at snooker, Steve Davis was the world's best, as far ahead of anyone else as Tiger was in golf - hasn't won a ranking tournament since 1995 (plus The Masters in 1997) but carried on playing the tour for nearly 20 years after that. Stephen Hendry took his mantle, took the game even further than Davis did and canned it as soon as he couldn't challenge at the very top any more. F1 - Mika Hakkinen just gave it up overnight despite still being a genuine title challenger because he started a family and he couldn't be arsed with driving for a living any more, Schumacher couldn't leave it alone and came back despite knowing that the car he was jumping into wasn't ever going to get near winning a title, arguably slightly tarnishing his legacy in the process.

In reality I don't expect Tiger to be chugging along in the midfield for very long. Unless the seemingly impossible happens and he regains somewhere close to his old form I don't think he'll be playing regularly in five years.

People talking about changing swings like going out and buying a new pair of football boots are making me smile. Tiger has clear belief the swing he has now and his mental attitude will get him that last chance.

I think the field has caught up with the Tiger of 5 years ago as Tiger could out drive the field and be one of the world's greatest putters from inside 15ft. Those days are gone on physical and mental ability now and he's now ordinary in a quality field.

He has also gone from being one of the longest off the tee to one of the shortest. He might scrape through the cut and finish 15 shots back. And the American networks will STILL give him blanket coverage.

He has also gone from being one of the longest off the tee to one of the shortest. He might scrape through the cut and finish 15 shots back. And the American networks will STILL give him blanket coverage.

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating how much coverage an average golfer is getting.

Jordan Spieth is already on the second. By the time Augusta allow coverage to begin he might have two holes left. It's pathetic and damn annoying.

Weather forecast suggests that there may be thunder and a suspension of play just about the time the live coverage is allowed to start. Ridiculous.

Bloody God messing around with the plans of TV watching Golf fans....the bastard

Bloody God messing around with the plans of TV watching Golf fans....the bastard

Pesky Deity.

If perhaps those in charge started the coverage when play started and the leader was out, that would help.

Tiger on -2 now. He seems to be playing much better.

McIlroy should be teeing off at the 1st just in time for the bad weather to hit.

Spieth gets in with this score and then the weather goes to shit and the tournament is effectively over.

Back