• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Bought a fancy sports car and had it taken by some drug dealers for payment? Or did they smash it up, I can't recall now?

Think it was smashed up, and then he went and shot that bloke in the shop.......
....and Ziggy was his name

The Wire is one of my favourite subjects and I've bored everyone I know with talk of it. Looking forward to the new season of Treme which starts in the US in a couple of weeks. Plus I hear they are currently filming a second season of Boardwalk Empire

The Pacific starts on Saturday at 9pm.

Is this the show people on here were raving about a while back? Think it was only shown on Sky Movies?

Yeah that's the one. I have it on Blu-ray and think it's really good. Just don't think it's going to be as good as Band of Brothers because it's nowhere near. But as Band of Brothers is arguably my favourite drama series of all time, they are pretty heady heights to reach.

Take it for what it is - a bloody good 10 part drama with some very moving scenes and good characters. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Toon - thanks for the heads up on The Wire - is it not scheduled to come on Sky Atlantic soon anyway? I might wait for that because I have way too much on series link right now - we're running out of room on the Sky box!!

i don't have sky so don't watch this channel obviously, though i could download some of the good stuff if i can be bothered. Is anyone watching the george rr martin fantasy series game of thrones with Sean Bean? Just wondered if it was any good?

I haven't been able to see it as I don't have Sky Atlantic in my package. Grrrrrr

Reviews have been tremendous. I love the books as well, so will just wait for the DVD I guess.

Yeah that's the one. I have it on Blu-ray and think it's really good. Just don't think it's going to be as good as Band of Brothers because it's nowhere near. But as Band of Brothers is arguably my favourite drama series of all time, they are pretty heady heights to reach.

Take it for what it is - a bloody good 10 part drama with some very moving scenes and good characters. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Toon - thanks for the heads up on The Wire - is it not scheduled to come on Sky Atlantic soon anyway? I might wait for that because I have way too much on series link right now - we're running out of room on the Sky box!!

It is supposed to be, but they haven't said when yet.

I haven't been able to see it as I don't have Sky Atlantic in my package. Grrrrrr

Reviews have been tremendous. I love the books as well, so will just wait for the DVD I guess.

It starts next Monday on Sky Atlantic, so you haven't missed anything yet Paddy. Though if you haven't got Sky Atlantic in your package SkyPlayer is probably your only option.

Ziggy was an absolute prick, I really disliked him but he`s a great character. The actor also had one of the leads in Generation Kill, he was brilliant in that aswell.

I`ve got to go with season 2 or 4 as my favourite in The Wire. I loved the themes in each of those 2 seaons, hell on fire that series just oozed quality from the first minute to the last.

I really liked the "Hamsterdam" season, whichever one it was, with all the Police top level squabbles and 'duking the stats'!!

Ziggy was an absolute prick, I really disliked him but he`s a great character. The actor also had one of the leads in Generation Kill, he was brilliant in that aswell.

I`ve got to go with season 2 or 4 as my favourite in The Wire. I loved the themes in each of those 2 seaons, hell on fire that series just oozed quality from the first minute to the last.

So many of the characters are great. Omar is my personal favourite character, possibly ever in any series. Stringer Bell and Lester Freemon are also up there as great characters.

FX are re-running The Wire as we speak for those interested. This week was episode 2 of series one ('The Detail'). Not sure if they'll repeat it or do a catch up from episode one, but even if you have missed the first couple it should still be possible to get up to speed with events so far. Can't recommend this programme enough.

This link has all seasons streamed so if necessary you could watch episodes 1 and 2 of series one on here:

http://www.freeonlineepisodes.net/watch-the-wire-online-episodes-free-streaming-full-seasons/

You're welcome...

Just a warning - lots of nasty malware and spyware with this link.

I agree with Toon - Boardwalk Empire, The Wire and 6 Feet Under are top quality. Besides footy, they are the only thing on TV that I watch.

Try projectfreetv instead, I've never had a problem with it regarding malware etc.

So many of the characters are great. Omar is my personal favourite character, possibly ever in any series. Stringer Bell and Lester Freemon are also up there as great characters.
Yep Omar is great. Hopefully the actor will figure more in the second series of Boardwalk Empire. I passed through Baltimore a few years ago, but the other half didn't seem to keen on my tour of the Projects featured in The Wire.

Yep Omar is great. Hopefully the actor will figure more in the second series of Boardwalk Empire. I passed through Baltimore a few years ago, but the other half didn't seem to keen on my tour of the Projects featured in The Wire.

Yeah, his character in Boardwalk was fairly peripheral, which is a shame, 'Chalky' could be such a great character in that series.

Heard lots of good things about Pacific, will have a look, see if it lives up to reviews

The Pacific is well worth watching. I'm Sky+ing for the second time and going to see if it stands up to a second viewing. Sometimes things are better the second time round as you pick up on nuances you missed in the first viewing. But even if it isn't better at the second time of asking, it'll still be worth watching again.

The Pacific didn't really do it for me, i loved Band of Brothers, just thought the characters and story weren't quite up there with BoB, i didn't really feel like i got to know any of the characters or cared much about them.

Back