• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That cunt from Portsmouth with the bell used to hard fucking work & we only used to hear him 1 game a season.
When City played at Maine Road, there was that...Rotund lady... who used to ring a large handbell when City were attacking.
God!!
Think her name was Helen...?

That must have been a while ago! Don’t remember a bell being particularly noticeable on the Kippax when I went in the mid eighties

Not sure but around early to mid 90's.
She always stood about a yard to the right of the goals in the front row.
Goalie must have had his Walkman + Headphones in....
OOps!! Late edit for a typo. .....
LATE 80's.

Found this - bit of a long read...

#1 HELEN TURNER AKA ‘HELEN THE BELL’​

Who: Helen Turner was a City fan who also sold flowers outside the Manchester Royal Infirmary during the week. She was a larger than life character who rang a large brass bell during games when she thought the crowd needed to get behind the team.

BIOGRAPHY:​

You couldn’t miss Helen the Bell.

To say she is City’s most famous supporter is something of an understatement. On match-days, she was a constant presence and with her big blonde beehive, City scarf and bell, you literally couldn’t miss her.

view

Advertisement

Helen would sit behind the goal on the first row of the North Stand and it became her custom to hand a sprig of lucky heather to the City goalkeeper before each game. This became a huge part of Joe Corrigan’s pre-match routine for more than a decade.

Joe Corrigan : Helen supplied his lucky heather sprig

Joe Corrigan : Helen supplied his lucky heather sprig

No matter what the weather, Helen would be there and several times during the game, she would ring her bell and when she didn’t, the Kippax would demand “Helen, Helen, ring your bell! Helen, ring your bell!” Of course, she would respond, and the terraces would cheer followed by a chant of “Come on, City!” or similar.

The North Stand roof ensured that anyone sat in the first dozen rows was susceptible to the elements. This is Manchester… Helen often got soaked in the line of duty.

In time, the Club recognised her commitment and place in the hearts of the players and fellow supporters and issues her with two free season tickets each campaign as a reward.

One of Helen’s most treasured moments was when she was invited to join the City players on a lap of honour at Wembley after winning the League Cup against Newcastle. The clip below shows the game, and on 9 minutes and 40 seconds, Helen appears, holding the trophy with Asa Hartford as the City fans celebrate in the background.

Helen wouldn’t stand any nonsense and woe betide anyone who swore in her presence! And on away trips, it’s fair to say that if you were on the coach Helen was travelling in, you’d better keep in line or face the consequences!

A tireless fundraiser for various charities, by the mid-1980s, Helen was suffering badly with arthritis and had to attend games in a wheelchair, but it didn’t stop her attending every game she could and, of course, ringing her bell. It was unique to City and visiting fans of that era all recognised as part of the Maine Road match-day experience.

MENS TEAM

Introducing '125 years: City DNA '​

In 2003, just before City left Maine Road for good, Helen was given a standing ovation by those attending the final game at our old Moss Side home against Southampton. It was the last time Maine Road heard those chimes. Just two years later, aged 85, Helen passed away.

A one-minute silence was observed at the Blues’ next home match against Chelsea.

She would have relished the last decade and all the trophies that have come with it and the football that has been played under Roberto Mancini, Manuel Pellegrini and especially Pep Guardiola.

The next time you hear her bell ringing at a game, think of Helen and her dedication to Manchester City and her place in our history. She may be gone, but her legacy lives on.

Speaking for England, you can't get a drum into a ground unless it's club approved so therefore manufacturered by definition. They are horrendous, try going in the away end at Huddersfield and hearing some talentless moron bang away tunelessly for 90 minutes in the enclosure next to you, it's painful. The England band can get in the bin as well.
The England band did a takeover of crowd generated noise to give us all a regular reminder that we are subjects of the wretched royals and not citizens with a constitution. Terrible.

Helen sounds like she started with the bell a lot earlier than late 80s. Joe Corrigan left Manchester City in 1983.

The few games I attended were 85 and 86. She must have been there but I don’t remember it. I was young so I probably simply missed it.

Helen sounds like she started with the bell a lot earlier than late 80s. Joe Corrigan left Manchester City in 1983.

The few games I attended were 85 and 86. She must have been there but I don’t remember it. I was young so I probably simply missed it.
The old Kippax immense side terrace

Heaven forbid it ever ends up like the NFL where the crowd just roars ‘WHOAAAA’ and if they don’t the screens remind them to.

Sounds as pathetic as Ali Bongo the ex-dictator of Gabon asking for his friends to make noise. The long suffering good folk of Gabon took the piss....

He’s changed a bit since he was on the tv doing his magic show

Pompey away another one of those grounds that gets dressed up as old and traditional but is actually a dump of a ground.

He's a prick. Banned last season for going into a women's toilet claiming he was transgender
"Stewards asked the season ticket holder to leave at half-time. Mr Westwood told The News: ‘I walked into the passageway before the toilets and didn’t go any further.

‘This woman came out of the toilets and told me to get out, so I left. I was just having a laugh and a giggle. Given it was women’s day, I thought I would identify as a woman to show solidarity with them.

‘There was no malice intended.’

Mary Williams, 57, said she confronted the seemingly incoherent fan, who was ‘ranting and raving’ in the loos. She added his behaviour was ‘massively offensive to anyone who is transgender.’ "

What a tosser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back