• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold up here. I caveated the whole thing by saying there's loads I hate about the UK.

I'll happily rail about aspects of Germany too if you want me to.

But making funny Chinaman faces, blacking up, the actual national team manager being openly racist, Sergio Garcia, the abuse Vinicius Jr (among others) got only last season...I know you have ties to Spain but that's just awful and decades out of step, isn't it.
Spain has a huge problem with racism. You’re right and it’s shocking. It’s not restricted to the right wing either, though the link is pretty clear. About the only thing that was welcome when I used to revisit the UK from Spain was our relatively progressive multiculturalism (and yeah, that reads like the nieve comment of a white bloke I’m sure - but as you pout out DW it’s a relative fact).

But no, I’m not keen on a thread that could simply spiral into ‘here’s another bellend from Spain I’ve found’. I can’t imagine Alan would appreciate being lumped in with Sarah Palin and Trump either (and yes, I did hesitate there and realised I have no more up to date cultural reference for an appealing American than Sarah Palin. Then continued). I’ve found Spain to be full of wildly progressive, loving and inspiring people. They live there too just as they do in every country - even England! Hopefully some of them manage to kick Rubiales out now, and continue to make progress on multiculturalism as they still come to terms with civil war scars that are very raw and are the context for much of what happens there.

Palin left one hell of a mark; that reference still hits.

When I lived in Germany, the way people of Turkish ethnicity were treated and talked about was like how the South Asian diaspora were talked about in the UK in the 1980s, and that's not a good thing, and I don't think it's improved much in the last 20 years either.

The rise of AfD is even more troubling than UKIP was here, and we know how that ended up.

I really wasn't being snarky, it's just I see and hear things from Spain and it's alien to me, even relative to other European nations. Sorry if I caused any offence.

When I lived in Germany, the way people of Turkish ethnicity were treated and talked about was like how the South Asian diaspora were talked about in the UK in the 1980s, and that's not a good thing, and I don't think it's improved much in the last 20 years either.

The rise of AfD is even more troubling than UKIP was here, and we know how that ended up.

I really wasn't being snarky, it's just I see and hear things from Spain and it's alien to me, even relative to other European nations. Sorry if I caused any offence.
No offence of course 🙂 I mean the stuff you’re flagging up is real and horrific. Spain overall is still a strangely unknown place compared to other European countries anyway I think. I can remember the Olympics in 92 and my parents saying how they knew pretty much nothing at all about Spain until then, thinking, that’s weird. It’s only by chance I ended up there. Oh to have enough lives to visit and live in all sorts of places.

I am quite astonished the crotch grab next to the queen and her 16year old daughter has escaped the net.
A far more sexual/sexist gesture in my book.
Earps would have decked the cunt.

Bringing it back to football… and to show I’m not La Liga TV state TV blinded. Fckin Valencia managed to get away with putting a huge ‘respect for our fans’ banner up in the area they’ve had to leave empty as punishment for abusing Vinicius Jr. I mean, where to start with that? Maybe they are all complete gits after all 🙄 My vain hope is that this current episode with Rubiales plays out in ways they didn’t really anticipate and represents another step forward. What IS is great is seeing those players today (men and women) who aren’t standing for it. Do NOT take a bow at this point Mr Lego head.

Bringing it back to football… and to show I’m not La Liga TV state TV blinded. Fckin Valencia managed to get away with putting a huge ‘respect for our fans’ banner up in the area they’ve had to leave empty as punishment for abusing Vinicius Jr. I mean, where to start with that? Maybe they are all complete gits after all 🙄 My vain hope is that this current episode with Rubiales plays out in ways they didn’t really anticipate and represents another step forward. What IS is great is seeing those players today (men and women) who aren’t standing for it. Do NOT take a bow at this point Mr Lego head.
Spanish world cup winning team have all refused to play for spain again u til he is gone.
Player ( hermanos?) Says not consentual, hated it and he is putting words in her mouth (along with his tongue?)

So Rubiales overtakes Hilda as their number one hate figure

Well done to the Lionesses' for their statement and others in WoSo backing the Spanish players (81 now in protest, wow).

Have noted there's more men footballers supporting Greenwood than showing solidarity here too. Society has a long way to go.

I think the way this has got global attention in could be the kind of thing that rips their FA apart after how they've handled it

I think the way this has got global attention in could be the kind of thing that rips their FA apart after how they've handled it
You'd think their FA would see that his presence has become toxic and cut him loose. But no they've doubled down and fired shots at the woman involved. Bunch of cunts.

Well I think the clear end game is none of their World Cup winning squad will choose to represent the country again. Which is sad.

Complete coaching and fitness team of the Spanish women’s team have resigned

Complete coaching and fitness team of the Spanish women’s team have resigned
Except the head coach, who is a Rubiales supporter and to whom Rubiales recently offered a new contract with a massive pay rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back