• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football Coaching Thread

Really gutted for my u12s yesterday. Cup quarter finals, had to play with one less man (it's 9-a-side) as had a few players away. All I asked was for them to keep their shape without the ball, and restrict their chances. They did it brilliantly, and had it not been for a cheating linesman (the opposition's coach) we'd have been one up too! Ended up losing one nil to their only real chance of the game but very pleased with them. Showed they have good discipline to go with their ability. With some new faces, got some good players training with me at the moment hoping to sign, they have a good opportunity to do well next season.

Booked onto that too and the Module 2 a couple of months after. Sounds good and educational!

bit too long winded for me that! I saw on the Bundesliga show on ESPN (the one that the really tall guy presents) that you need to have an elite level academy to be in the top two leagues and that you need to have a certain amount of your spaces given to local players. I can't remember who it was, but one of the teams in the Bundesliga have there players sleep at the ground, some of the corporate boxes are actually dorms that house the players. So they live and sleep at the stadium and work there during the home games.

Anyone coaching a team at any summer tournaments? my u12s will be in a few 5/6-a sides. Always enjoy it, kids have a good time, weather is usually nice and my boys will show everyone what good football they can play :D

started my fa module 1 today and am not massively impressed if I am honest, there are some right bellends on the course which doesn't help as they won't shut up and a couple are really over opinionated. The world of amateur/grassroots football coaching doesn't half attract some tools. It mainly seems to be about the social development side of players (specifically younger players) which, without trying to sound arrogant I know about as I have literally just studied it as I did a PTLLS as I am trying to become a teacher, I imagine if you don't have that background its more enjoyable though, although its always good to meet other coaches.

Some of the things from today that people said:

England need to play two out and out wingers, and get someone like crouch back up front
England don't produce good technical players

Grassroots football is full of wannabe Mourinhos who think they are tactical masterminds... just smile and nod and move on aha!

Eventful weekend for me. Had an incident with the u8s I help with, doing a game with a guy (younger than me) while the main coach did a game on an adjacent pitch. At half time as we had no goalkeeper we had to work out who's turn it was and it was a boy who had been in voluntarily before. His Mum and grandad see me telling him, and come rushing over telling me he's not going in goal and if he does, they are taking him home. We find a solution as we get a boy a few years older to go in goal as it is non competitive anyway, so with an extra man the kid who wasn't going in goal started as sub. While the game's going on, the grandad comes over to me and the other coach effing and blinding, ranting about other kids not going in goal and how we are treating him badly. Goes back to the other side and starts getting in an argument with a few other parents! Think they are getting kicked out, feel sorry for the boy as he's a lovely kid and cracking player.

On a positive note, that club want me to do the current u7s lot next year which will be a brilliant experience for me and the u13s I help my Dad got in their cup final!

Parents just ruin football for kids sometimes. Fucking ridiculous.

It's horrible. This kids is really good too! He was with Tottenham development before (got let go) but could definitely progress to be an academy player if his family weren't such wankers.

today has been slightly better, more people were speaking today so it was good to get some opinions of other coaches.

The same guy was moaning about the fa trying to do away with leagues at the lower levels as he was saying "whats the point of me getting up to coach u9s having a kick about if there is no league to try and win or measure how they are doing" :facepalm: it is literally like he hasn't been listening for the last two days.

on a side note though I found out today that there is a sheffield coaches association (as the lad that runs it was on the course) and that once a month they get a guest coach in. This year they had Thelwell up and they were raving about him to me today when they found out I was a Wolves fan, I am signing up to it and the lad that runs it told me that Thelwell said he would be more than happy to come back and do more work with them, said that when he came in he went round and shook everyones hands and tried to find a little bit out about who and where they coach before he started his session.

Some people genuinely don't get it, ha! They are so focused on measuring themselves by how much they win it's quite sad.

Nice to hear good things about Thelwell :)

Went to St George's park this morning for a CPD event and i've got to say i'm impressed with the setup and standard of everything there i just hope that we don't take it for granted and think just because it's there that it will just happen. We need the F.A. and everyone involved in football to make things happen and use the facilities available.

So I started some new coaching last night, there is a centre near me that does footy for the kids in the local area. I went down to speak to them a few weeks ago as I am interested in doing some additional work and they told me to come down yesterday to work with the u21s, I hadn't planned anything or thought I would be involved but when I got there the coach told me I was doing the first 25 minutes so he could see what I was like!

proper nerve wracking however it went fairly well and I got some really good feedback on what he wants to see more of from me. The feedback was really concise and technical too and the lad told me that whilst I will be working with the players, he will be working with me, he is a level 3/Uefa B holder and played professionally and has coached for the last 25 years or some.

I have to take a plan next week as I am in charge of the first 25 minutes again. Yesterday was the first time I have really felt like a coach though, as I was put on the spot and managed to come through. I literally asked the players what they wanted to work on and then went from there.

so despite my moaning I actually really enjoyed this weekend of the youth module 1, the booklet they gave out has some really good practises in it that I will be doing with my adult side as well as my youth so will try and scan them in and get them up if I can't find a version of them else where.

Got my Level 2 now :) Youth Modules 1 and 2 in July and September too which will be good

Back