• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Poor Ollie Pope slapping one to a fielder second ball (great catch as well) watching the rest of the batters pad their stats nicely.
Poor nothing, he's basically being protected by being vice captain, his record is extremely iffy.

This year:

1, 196, 23, 23, 39, 3, 0, 0, 11, 19, 57, 121, 51, 10, 6, 6, 1, 17, 154, 7, 0.

You cannot have that many failures - 15 times he's failed to reach 25 in 21 innings.

Agreed, though I’m not sure who would be next in line anyway for that position? This was a bit of a weird one in that he normally looks scratchy as hell and gets bowled/edges behind early. He’s just hit a bad ball to a fielder here

Jordan Cox presumably. Or Stokes could bat three if he isn't able to bowl. Beyond that maybe Josh Bohannon although he had a pretty poor season for Lancs.

Not particularly calling for him to be dropped, but he's definitely the most vulnerable of the first choice top seven (he's got a degree of artificial protection through the vice-captaincy, and in all honesty he looks a pretty shit captain to me so far).

Poor nothing, he's basically being protected by being vice captain, his record is extremely iffy.

This year:

1, 196, 23, 23, 39, 3, 0, 0, 11, 19, 57, 121, 51, 10, 6, 6, 1, 17, 154, 7, 0.

You cannot have that many failures - 15 times he's failed to reach 25 in 21 innings.

I'll give him a bit of a pass as he wouldn't have been expecting to open.
That being said I heard he's got the 2nd worst average ever in a calendar year when a test batsman has scored 3 tons. You'd pick him at the Oval every time though.

Root since 1 Jan 2021: 50 Tests, 4,755 runs @ 57.98 (18 x 100, 15 x 50)

Also Harry Brook now has more Test hundreds than Moeen Ali, Andrew Flintoff, Basil D'Oliveira and Alan Knott. Level with Bill Edrich and Graeme Hick. Only one behind Matt Prior, Derek Randall and Keith Fletcher. Two behind Tony Greig and Mark Butcher.

Root has more hundreds since 2021 than the following made in their entire Test career:

Denis Compton
Graham Thorpe
Mike Atherton
Jack Hobbs
Alec Stewart
Allan Lamb
Marcus Trescothick
Ian Botham
Nasser Hussain
Peter May

And level with Michael Vaughan and David Gower.

In great news for Pakistan, part 197,332, Abrar Ahmed won't be bowling today as he is in hospital with a fever. He got a lot of tap yesterday, but a bowler down and Pakistan are going to be really toiling.

Great news for Pakistan part 197,333

Dropping a straightforward catch from Root is probably not a good idea.

And now the 300 stand. Not quite chanceless this morning, and the ball is doing a little bit, which bodes well for getting at Pakistan this evening and tomorrow.

Popped out to walk the dog. Fairly confident I wouldn't miss a wicket. 658/3 at lunch, 400+ stand, 200 for Brook. Best test innings for Root in the bag as well. This is a walk in the park. Only problem is finding a victory on this pitch might be challenging.

If only England had a reliable top order.

Last edited:
Only way you can win this is with scoreboard pressure, the pitch is an absolute road

Multan always has been. Got to pile on a huge total and then see if they crack. Never going to be time for four innings in this one.

Sri Lanka scored 952-6 once
The record stand for a wicket is 624 (i think) (Jayawardene and Sangakarra)
Record 4th wicket partnership is 450
Individual highest score is 400* by a certain Mr Lara
England highest score is 364 by Len Hutton, in an innings where England compiled their highest total of 903-7

Some of those are miles out of reach if you want to try and get a result.

Back