• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Car Thread

At the age of 43 years and 10 months, I have decided to once again try to learn to drive.

I have my first lesson for over 20 years on Friday. I would recommend you all avoid driving around the Tipton area on that day (well, you should probably avoid driving around Tipton on any day really).

At the age of 43 years and 10 months, I have decided to once again try to learn to drive.

I have my first lesson for over 20 years on Friday. I would recommend you all avoid driving around the Tipton area on that day (well, you should probably avoid driving around Tipton on any day really).
Most cars are automatic nowadays and a pleasure to drive. You can get a licence just for autos, and I know because a guy at work had one and couldn't drive anything with a stick. Pretty much like most Americans.

Ultimately it's not hard to learn the controls and gear changes. It just takes a bit of practice. Confidence is the biggest thing that makes a difference. Get comfortable doing the clutch and gears and you'll be flying along in no time.

Good Luck!

Good luck mate and just stick at it, I took way too long to get back on the road for various reasons, mostly out of my control, but it was infuriating not driving. I did a handful of lessons, about seven I think, just to learn to drive to test standard again and get rid of the bad habits* then spent a few hours driving Cassidy’s car to get used to it and did my test in that.
It was so weird this morning dropping Helen and her daughter at the train station to go to Brum, it’s the first time I’ve been out on my own in a car in a long time and it was ace.

Stick at it mate and just be determined and you’ll nail it. And you won’t regret it.

*They were back within minutes of getting a pass!

Passed my theory test this afternoon. It may be quite a while until I’m ready for my practical test though! :ROFLMAO:
All depends how fast you want to do it, you could have lots of lessons quickly, 3 or 4 per week if you have the time and money.

Most cars are automatic nowadays and a pleasure to drive. You can get a licence just for autos, and I know because a guy at work had one and couldn't drive anything with a stick. Pretty much like most Americans.

Ultimately it's not hard to learn the controls and gear changes. It just takes a bit of practice. Confidence is the biggest thing that makes a difference. Get comfortable doing the clutch and gears and you'll be flying along in no time.
I can drive stick once it’s moving. It’s getting off the mark that sucks.

Stalling out is just so embarrassing!

I often toy with the idea of trying to learn again but can't think of a car I'd do so with that I wouldn't also be worried about breaking or wrecking.

Interesting (well for me anyway), looking at my electric bill for June.

I only really do one big journey which is most Thursday to and from Leeds. So I charge my car before I do my drive to Leeds and then top up at work (for free). So get home with around 65% battery left. That gets me around before charging again for the next Leeds trip.

My fuel bill for that month with the car charging on the 7.5p tarif (dropped to 7p late in the month) was under £12.

Interesting (well for me anyway), looking at my electric bill for June.

I only really do one big journey which is most Thursday to and from Leeds. So I charge my car before I do my drive to Leeds and then top up at work (for free). So get home with around 65% battery left. That gets me around before charging again for the next Leeds trip.

My fuel bill for that month with the car charging on the 7.5p tarif (dropped to 7p late in the month) was under £12.
We’re paying around £65 a month in total for gas and electricity with 2 electric cars. Got a battery for the house last year which we either charge on solar or on the 7p overnight rate.

If you can do it, and it’s a big if as the upfront cost is not cheap, you can make some huge savings.

My car decided to do an emergency stop this morning thanks the collision assist or whatever it’s called. Was overtaking a parked car with a person waiting to open their door, left loads of space but as I was alongside the bloody thing just slammed the brakes on. Scared the shit out of me and I’m very lucky no one went into the back of me because there was no reason for me to stop. I hate all these auto systems in newer cars, like the lane assist it just causes more problems than it helps.

My car decided to do an emergency stop this morning thanks the collision assist or whatever it’s called. Was overtaking a parked car with a person waiting to open their door, left loads of space but as I was alongside the bloody thing just slammed the brakes on. Scared the shit out of me and I’m very lucky no one went into the back of me because there was no reason for me to stop. I hate all these auto systems in newer cars, like the lane assist it just causes more problems than it helps.
Turned mine off, sick of it momentarily braking, must have happened 4/5 times in a few weeks when I first had it.

Yeah some of those newfangled features are quite nice (Subaru’s application of speed-matching on cruise control is very good for example), but the whole “we can actually smash on the brakes for you” has always seemed like a step too far.

Glad everyone was okay, Carrot! Must have been a hell of a scare in the moment.

Yeah some of those newfangled features are quite nice (Subaru’s application of speed-matching on cruise control is very good for example), but the whole “we can actually smash on the brakes for you” has always seemed like a step too far.

Glad everyone was okay, Carrot! Must have been a hell of a scare in the moment.

Yeah all good but it wasn’t ideal, especially with my 9 week old daughter in the back! Luckily we were going quite slowly anyway (presumably that’s why it did it?) but was a shock. Also made me look like a complete dick to everyone around as well!

Also annoying that these setting default to being on everytime you start a new journey so have to remember to turn them off each time.

Used to be a pain in the arse when weaving between parked cars, if one directly in front and fairly high speed bumps, untill I managed to work out how to bypass it.

Back