• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I thought you were talking about Kalacs, but that was just genuine incompetence on our part, as that was paying £250k for a player who could never play for us as he couldn't get a work permit.
It's a Wolves classic that one.

The difference is they knew Scott Dann or Steve Sidwell could walk out and go elsewhere. They clearly didn't even know this was possible, ergo incompetent.
I'm going to caveat this with 'I'm not defending Scott Sellars at all I think he's massively out of his depth '.

But this sort of thing happens all the time. Agents don't give the right info, score don't have the right info, contracts contain clauses and players just change their minds. It really could be anything at all. I'm fairly sure the legal opinion should have been sought before Sellars opened his mouth.

It's hard to see all eventualities and if the selling club want the cash and want to sella players contact then that would superceed any agreement a player has once his contact with that club expires.

Hard to bash the club on this one. Sometimes it's just life.

It's a Wolves classic that one.
Was weird all round. We didn't need a keeper and he was shit, McGhee went chasing him though and then Petr Kouba afterwards (a massive dodged bullet there). Then our case seemed strong enough but we seemed to suffer from everyone feeling sorry for Leicester for having two managers nicked inside about 18 months of each other when the mechanism to protect non-player contracts didn't really exist then.

The bigger crime was paying money for Steve "better than Georgi Kinkladze" Corica, I wish they'd blocked his work permit too. A week or so before we signed him, McGhee was on a Radio WM phone-in (a Wolves manager would never ever go on one of those these days) and someone - not me, I promise, I was only 14 or so - mentioned that it seemed Millwall were looking at moving Alex Rae on, would Mark be interested in him.

"We're after better players than Alex Rae".

Fuck off McGhee.

Fixtures out tomorrow.
Players back in a week.
No pre-season fixtures announced/confirmed.
No signings.
Players we thought we had tied up to pre-contracts going to direct rivals.
Players that we decided not to sign less than a year ago now being touted about for more than double the amount we could have had them for.

Classic Wolves*.

*Jeff Shi & Co.

Brazilian law is a nightmare, it’s literally not worth the effort or money we *might* eventually get.

Fixtures out tomorrow.
Players back in a week.
No signings.
Players that we decided not to sign less than a year ago now being touted about for more than double the amount we could have had them for.

Classic Wolves*.

*Jeff Shi & Co.
I'm amazed that anyone thought we'd be making high profile signings in June, we just don't do it? Do we?

I'm amazed that anyone thought we'd be making high profile signings in June, we just don't do it? Do we?
Yeah, why buck the trend when all of our transfer windows in recent history have been fantastic. Amirite?

Not really, Neves signed in July and that was when we had actual intent.

Rui and Raul were in June 2018 but I think we did that early just so it was all done before the World Cup.

the no pre season fixtures stuff is a bit bizarre tbf. They must be scrambling because everyone else has probably already got their games sorted

I hope we don’t do that stupid business of playing two games in two days. Ridiculous. Basically lost Mosquera some important time and Boly never got properly fit til March

You are correct and what Bruno says holds zero weight, but he did say he wanted the majority of new players in before pre season training starts - that is 12 days away, we could have a splurge before then although that seems unlikely. It's the mixed messaging which comes back to bite them time and again. That and the lies obviously

the no pre season fixtures stuff is a bit bizarre tbf. They must be scrambling because everyone else has probably already got their games sorted

I hope we don’t do that stupid business of playing two games in two days. Ridiculous. Basically lost Mosquera some important time and Boly never got properly fit til March
Always difficult to know with Spiers whether there's some kind of message in what he wrote or whether he just wasn't very good at communicating what he meant, but there was very much a sense in a fair few of the pieces that he did in the last 2-3 months that there's a real air of complacency around the club, that everything will be ok, it'll sort itself out, we're at worst a mid-table club so even a bad year isn't a disaster. (I don't think Tim actually meant this as a criticism because he's of the same mindset, but that's by the by and what he thinks is irrelevant now anyway).

That's an incredibly dangerous attitude to have. Everything seems very poorly run and thought through at the moment. I'm not going to keep banging the same drum all summer because he's here and we evidently aren't going to change anything, but I think we've missed a trick by not replacing a manager who increasingly looks and sounds miles out of his depth and everything else follows from there.

There's no sense at all that we have a plan in the market. Yeah, you want to "reset" and move on from what we've done since 2017. Fine, I get that to an extent. But it's no good just saying "something different", what?

Our Twitter idiots will pull themselves off collectively if we sign Palhinha but when they discover in August/September that he's just a slow, bog standard DM, that sheen will wear off. I don't think there's a single neutral fan in the country who if quizzed what Wolves need would say "another defensive midfielder who never scores".

Our executive team are the equivalent of the guy who works from home, checks his email every couple of hours, logs in on Teams purely to mark himself as busy and plays FIFA all day. Yeah, fine. Until you get found out and it all comes tumbling down.

You are correct and what Bruno says holds zero weight, but he did say he wanted the majority of new players in before pre season training starts - that is 12 days away, we could have a splurge before then although that seems unlikely. It's the mixed messaging which comes back to bite them time and again. That and the lies obviously
Well, he has no clout and no gravitas, does he.

The club know he can say whatever he wants, happily ignore him and nothing will ever happen, because he's never getting a better job than this. Also a manager saying "I want new players" applies to roughly 100% of clubs, every year.

Fixtures out tomorrow.
Players back in a week.
No signings.

Classic Wolves*.

*Jeff Shi & Co.
Arsenal aren't our "direct rivals", that would be Bournemouth, Forest, Fulham, Brighton, Leeds etc

Our executive team are the equivalent of the guy who works from home, checks his email every couple of hours, logs in on Teams purely to mark himself as busy and plays FIFA all day. Yeah, fine. Until you get found out and it all comes tumbling down.
giphy.gif

We haven’t signed anyone, because the window hasn’t got going yet, players away on internationals, then it’ll be friendly pre season stuff, so we’ll maybe start looking then, as well have a better idea who’s available after the internationals, we’ll try all through July,but players will be in pre season training by then and settled, then august is the start of the season, so it’ll be busy, September 2nd we’ll release a list of who we tried for

It's obvious why we're leaving signings late, it so at least some of our squad will get a pre-season :-D

Well, he has no clout and no gravitas, does he.

The club know he can say whatever he wants, happily ignore him and nothing will ever happen, because he's never getting a better job than this. Also a manager saying "I want new players" applies to roughly 100% of clubs, every year.
I know that, you know that, but we aren't in the majority for whatever reason

We haven’t signed anyone, because the window hasn’t got going yet, players away on internationals, then it’ll be friendly pre season stuff, so we’ll maybe start looking then, as well have a better idea who’s available after the internationals, we’ll try all through July,but players will be in pre season training by then and settled, then august is the start of the season, so it’ll be busy, September 2nd we’ll release a list of who we tried for
The first part is what will come out next . There's plenty of business been done. A couple of teams have signed 4 players.

I mean you'd rather wait if you have to, for the right deal but I don't get why people always pretend deals aren't there to be done early when there's loads of evidence if it across lots of clubs.

Been waiting for Sellars to say the bolded bit for a while - thought he would say it in his Ask Wolves video

Last edited:
Well seeing as our esteemed manager has actually come out and said he wants all of our business done before pre-season training starts, it'd have to be done in June to meet that deadline.

Not that I actually think that was ever going to happen... This will clearly be another case of him mouthing off in the press without having a clear idea of what's going on above his head. Sellars mentioned in a previous interview about having to 'manage expectations', clearly referencing when Lage has been waffling about wanting X number of players/not wanting to lose Adama etc. He clearly didn't ask anyone what our valuation of Neves was before he blurted out that he's worth £100M either.

Back