• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Spoilt Princesses moaning about Media Coverage of Wolves

I can't listen to it, Jon Parkin is an absolute thundering moron.

I liked Mick, he restored the pride in the club, played quite a swashbuckling style in the Champ with his wingers fit, and got the most out of a very limited group of players in the PL.

I used to get in to the press box from time to time with a friend who's in the trade. Away at Palace all the journos left their dictaphones on the desk in front of MM, I thought I'd record him too, on my phone...

All was going well until I received a text. My text alert was the sound of scrapping cats lol. Couldn't retrieve the phone quick enough, Mick wasn't impressed.

looked at the E&S website today for the first time in ages.
Fuck me, it is majorly bad.
Articles you can read without registering have an advert inbetween each fucking sentence. Horrendous!
Then you have woeful "articles" like this:
https://www.expressandstar.com/news...verhampton-amid-severn-trent-water-roadworks/

when do these roadworks start? How long do they last? Tells you absolutely nothing.
Fucking shambles.

From an Athletic piece about signings who exceeded expectations:

If we are keeping the conversation into the 21st century, then what about the Irishman who was spotted by Wolves when he played against them in pre-season, cost just £75,000 and went on to help them reach the top half of the Premier League, an FA Cup semi-final and a Europa League quarter-final?

While Matt Doherty’s second spell at Molineux has been underwhelming so far, his first was a fairytale success that secured his status as a modern-day cult hero.

Why does Madeley persist with this? Doherty was fucking awful for years.

From an Athletic piece about signings who exceeded expectations:

If we are keeping the conversation into the 21st century, then what about the Irishman who was spotted by Wolves when he played against them in pre-season, cost just £75,000 and went on to help them reach the top half of the Premier League, an FA Cup semi-final and a Europa League quarter-final?

While Matt Doherty’s second spell at Molineux has been underwhelming so far, his first was a fairytale success that secured his status as a modern-day cult hero.

Why does Madeley persist with this? Doherty was fucking awful for years.
3 good seasons, Nuno made him, he'd started to revert to type just before we scammed Spurs.

He debuted in 2011/12 but really his first proper go was under Saunders.

So:

2012/13: Dreadful, in a team that got relegated to L1
2013/14: Started in the team and did sort of ok (couldn't defend for shit) but after getting injured in Oct/Nov barely started again
2014/15: Lost his place to untried Iorfa around Christmas, once teams figured out the gap between him and Batth he was a disaster
2015/16: Barely played before Christmas, was so bad at LB we had to sign someone to hold his hand in front, then inexplicably won POTY
2016/17: Absolute shite and at one point was dropped at LWB for George Saville
2017-2020: Extremely bespoke role where in fairness, he was largely very effective if unconventional. As @sycophantia rightly says, was notably dropping off by the end
2023-present: Abysmal on every conceivable level

Yeah, what a fucking hero. Fuck off Steve, you didn't even watch him for all those years you're lauding him.

He only survived long enough to get that bespoke role under Nuno because he was cheap, too. I remember season after season of us posting on here in despair about how he was the turd that just wouldn't flush, but it was obvious that the reason he wasn't going anywhere was because the club clearly thought he was good enough—in an era where we weren't particularly flush, even allowing for parachute payments—that trying to find an upgrade was probably futile when there were other parts of the squad more immediately problematic.

He should have had the same career as, say, Ethan Ebanks-Landell—another beneficiary of our habit of holding onto cheap homegrown players for far, far too long out of some doomed sunk cost fallacy.

But on the plus side, Doherty's rep outside of the club, due to his luck of landing with exactly the right manager at exactly the right time, is why we got crazy money for him. I'd almost still be happy with that if we hadn't then spent it on shit.

Last edited:
I reckon I've dedicated more time than anybody on Earth to defending, praising, and fighting the good fight for Doc. To call him a cult-hero is fucking ridiculous. PTS either doesn't understand the term, or doesn't understand football. Or both, I guess.

Shit for 5 years. Excellent for 2 years. Waning for one year. Even at his absolute peak, was still hugely unpopular. Bargain, in the round you could definitely say that. But "cult hero" ffs. Actually insulting.

EEL actually looked better at RB than Doherty in League One!

Even if you restrict it to signings post-2000, I'm pretty sure I could pick 20 that fit the criteria better than Matt Doherty. And even if you accept the very weak argument of "we ended up being good while he was here" first time, it's surely all cancelled out by him being even worse than you would imagine the second time.

In fact, the easiest example of the brief - "turned out way better than you thought" - was here when Doherty was here and at his best.

Ryan Bennett.

In fairness it's not just PTS that's had a shocker. Trossard was the pick for Arsenal and Lingard for West Ham. They're possibly even less appropriate choices given you have a free pick from any time in the last 40-50 years.

10 easy picks that are more appropriate than Doherty, and all post-2000 (he did actually pick Bully, but that's again ridiculous as he wasn't a Wolves fan when we signed him and he was 8 years old. So how the fuck would you know)

Bennett
Kightly
Iwelumo
Ward
Ruddy
Sturridge
K Henry
Breen
Dicko
Jarvis

Doherty might be shit in a back four but under Nuno and his specific wing-back role he was an important part of the attack and scored some important goals for us. Hard to argue that he wasn't a good signing for the paltry fee of £75k IMO.

Well he exceeded the expectation of his fee for me. Same as Kightly did.

The very best though? Really?

He isn't even close.

Bennett, Ruddy and Breen on my list above cost £0 for a start.

And that wasn't the argument either. It was "who turned out better than you thought they'd be". Well Matt Doherty signed as a League of Ireland defender and he's always looked like a League of Ireland defender to me.

Doherty worked well in our system under Nuno and actually looked like a good footballer. However, everything he did for us before or after was awful.

Back