• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Some stats

Well I certainly wondered at the weekend what might happen if we stuck a quick forward on as well as Afobe and Le Fondre, or what might happen if it weren't Sheyi Ojo and James Henry out wide in the last 25 minutes and actually someone who could run at defenders. But whatevs.

I really wouldn't have thought many fans, Wolves or opposition, have wandered away from games this season thinking 'I don't know how Jackett has made a team so dull when he's got Byrne and Enobakhare available, unbelievable!'

Lots of people across forums and social media have wondered just that, indeed in a lot of the verdict threads is: Why not play Byrne instead of Ojo/ Henry as they were rubbish and we've spent £1m+ on Byrne. At least Byrne has pace.

Lots of people across forums and social media have wondered just that, indeed in a lot of the verdict threads is: Why not play Byrne instead of Ojo/ Henry as they were rubbish and we've spent £1m+ on Byrne. At least Byrne has pace.

That's not quite what I'm saying.

It's all well and good pondering what may happen with different players included, what I was disagreeing with was the feeling that Byrne and Enobakhare are attacking talents of such merit that it defies belief that a manager could turn out such turgid line ups when these enticing options are available to him. That's not to say Enobakhare and Byrne couldn't potentially improve things, perhaps they would, but they certainly aren't proven performers to the extent that it would guarantee a marked improvement. It's not like when Derby were signing Ince and Johnson, everyone knows they're two very good players for this level so for other fans looking in on Derby, that's a big statement of intent there and you expect them to perform strongly as a result of those signings. Byrne may have had a good season at Swindon and Enobakhare put some good performances in for the kids but neither have done anything like enough at this level to make anyone stand up and think that the team's going to immediately more exciting if they were to be included.

As I initially pointed out, it's quite the black mark against Jackett/Thelwell and their squad building that these two are being held up as some sort of yardstick for entertainment or improvement. They're relative nobodies.

Yet Wolves as a club do have back room staff who analyse each game to minute detail before providing the head coach with everything they see relevant to performance.
I'm never completely convinced by stats. Stats say that in terms of crucial passes Henry had a good game on Saturday as he played the final ball for all of Afobe's best chances. However I know from seeing the game first hand he didn't play well and would be surprised if too many disagreed with me.

Raw data is relatively worthless. It's how it's applied and interpreted that's important.

we are not good enough to challenge from owner and ethos , to manager and squad. Thats a summary

I do wonder how much the loss of Dicko has affected our attacking options. I know one man should not make such a big difference, but this appears to have happened at Wolves.

Dicko is an easy out ball, that's the biggest loss. It means our aimless hoofs just gift possession back whereas when Dicko plays he chases it down and invariably at least gains us territory.

Losing him is bad luck but Alfie is not a bad second prize and to fail to adapt to being able to accommodate him is an awful mark on Ken. Most teams at this level would kill for Alfie.

Dicko is an easy out ball, that's the biggest loss. It means our aimless hoofs just gift possession back whereas when Dicko plays he chases it down and invariably at least gains us territory.

Losing him is bad luck but Alfie is not a bad second prize and to fail to adapt to being able to accommodate him is an awful mark on Ken. Most teams at this level would kill for Alfie.

And play him every feckin week in a heartbeat

I do wonder how much the loss of Dicko has affected our attacking options. I know one man should not make such a big difference, but this appears to have happened at Wolves.

Dicko is a loss. But we knew that from last November. I cannot believe however that the squad even with its limitations , is currently being utilsed to the best of their collective abilities. Too many times too many players have been shoe horned to fit a system rather than being played in their more natural positions. Why buy players and not play them at all? What changed from the time of purchase? Recruitment is and has been poor but selection is equally poor.

I knew this thread was going to depress me as soon as I saw it. Stat #3 is just bloody appalling isn't it? I agree that stats aren't everything, but I think they're more important than most people accept. 5 assists in 67 games for a #10 is simply unacceptable. it's not even poor. And re Frank's point, yes, the loss of Dicko is a blow, but that's the manager's job: all teams get injuries. Coping with them is what separates the good from the mediocre.

What was that one the other day that someone put up about Edwards? Five assists in Ken's time here? He's started 67 games in that time, so that's an assist every 13-14 games. Just what you want from a number 10.

12 assists in 239 Wolves appearances.

Thats some horrible stats right there..not the old wolves, push the throttle and dont think so much of defending

- Wolves have signed nine players (Tommy Rowe, George Saville, Rajiv Van La Parra, Jed Wallace, Nathan Byrne, Sylvain Deslandes, Conor Coady, Benik Afobe, Jordan Graham) on a permanent basis since June 2014. Of those nine, three are currently out on loan and two didn't even make our bench at the weekend

- Since January 2014, Kenny Jackett has signed Leon Clarke, Yannick Sagbo, Danny Graham and Grant Holt. Those four players have contributed a total of four league goals for Wolves in that period

I think more a few incorrectly subscribe to the Sako is God theory (when he wasn't) and fail to digest this. Good stats.

The other idly peddled fallacy is the contribution of Stearman.

In short a massive failure to build a team rather than replace.

We can now manage a maximum of three home wins before Christmas. In 2000/1 and 2004/5 when Colin Lee and Dave Jones were sacked before Christmas, we'd managed four home wins by that stage. Stale Solbakken also managed four home wins before Christmas. We only managed three home wins before Christmas in 1995/6 (Graham Taylor sacked in mid-November) - therefore Kenny Jackett can at absolute best manage to equal our worst half season at home at this level since we came back up in 1989.

Thats just crazy bad, KJ needs to go..

I never wanted or rated him, but I didn't actually think he'd turn out to this bad. I expected us to constantly finish between fifth and tenth under him, but he's surprised me. Very, very surprised that his failure is being allowed to continue. The season isn't dead, if a change is made. Granted, I've only seen one game this season, but there's some good players in that dressing room, and clearly performances are as bad as results suggest.

Do we have assists/goals stats for Henry? Should be OK seeing as he played in league one for us. Just wonder how productive he really is as thought a lot of moves came to a dead end with him last night

89 games, 19 goals for us which is a good goalscoring record for a winger. 9 in 57 in the Championship which again is ok.

Three assists this season according to whoscored, which is not enough - though we never have more than three people in the box at absolute most when it's out wide, McDonald and Price never provide any threat that way so it's Edwards (who is a crap finisher anyway), whichever forward is playing and sometimes (but mostly not) the other winger will bother to get on the back stick.

I don't mind Henry but he certainly shouldn't be an automatic pick, he has too many games where he doesn't contribute anything of value. Especially when we have Byrne available to us and Eusebio doing well in the U21s.

Back