• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Short-term Wolves XI

Think the oldies can have Emlyn Hughes (2 years). I don't know if he was actually any good for us.
Booked nearly every week and in his own words (I saw him at a BRMB fans thing in the 90s) he was finished when he left Liverpool. Eternally grateful for picking up the only trophy that had eluded him at Anfield but he knew he was a rapid downhill slope.
Like @Tony Towner I was just too young to form an honest opinion of his time at the club.

Tin hat on but McIndoe did well in his short spell. Burnt his bridges with our fans due to his nonsensical rubbish about Bristol City when leaving and with every other professional for being involved in the scam that took money from them.

Tin hat on but McIndoe did well in his short spell. Burnt his bridges with our fans due to his nonsensical rubbish about Bristol City when leaving and with every other professional for being involved in the scam that took money from them.
He was fine, but we made money on him and used it to sign Jarvis.

Remember Emlyn appearing in some veterans tournament at Molineux in the 90s where he played in a Wolves shirt with a hoodie underneath

In terms of technical ability, Fernando Gomez would be right up there. Magnificent footballer, but looked and ran like George Graham when he was only 33.

WMA4NI6APRDIVG6EGGTAZ4O2GU.jpg

Been playing LMA manager 2001 recently (starts in the 00 season) and it was a bit of an "oh yeah!" moment when I played against Stockport in that league, them, Crewe, Gillingham, Grimsby in the championship feels insane to remember was fairly normal at the time.

Last edited:
Think the oldies can have Emlyn Hughes (2 years). I don't know if he was actually any good for us.
Topically, the BBC has a Scottish/Irish great players documentary on now and it has just shown Hughes gifting the ball to Dalglish before collapsing on his back for one goal and chasing Dalglish’s shadow for another.

Not sure he qualifies (2 separate spells under 2 years) but one for the oldies - Bobby Gould.

Scored 17 goals in the old First Division 1970/71 (4th top scorer for the season plus Wolves finished 4th and won the Texaco Cup) and was with Wolves for only 15 months.

Second spell scored 13 goals in 34 games from Dec'75 to Oct'77 (mostly in the old 2nd Division when we went up as champions).
I saw him play for us, but I don't think the judgement of an 8 year old is much to go on. From things players from that side have said his strength was his on field and dressing room influence rather than his playing ability at that stage of his career, but gave them the confidence to believe they could win the League Cup Final
This sums up Emlyn Hughes time with us very well.

Can I have Costa?

He technically only played 2 seasons for us.

I think Cav was here for 3 though could be wrong

Mike Williamson.

Seem to remember him shoring up our weak defense at the time.

He could organise basically, which no-one else could. He was only really replacing Ebanks-Landell who was never a Championship level player.

Waste of time as a permanent signing, never fit and on his rare appearances ran like the Tin Man.

Can I have Costa?

He technically only played 2 seasons for us.

I think Cav was here for 3 though could be wrong
Costa and Cav were both here for 3, no technically about it

I saw someone with Teixeria on the back of their shirt after he'd made a handful of decent appearances for us, at the time i though it was brave
I saw a Guedes shirt in 2022/23!

Back