• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

On BBC Sport website:

Wolves’ preferred candidate to replace Nuno Espirito Santo as manager will have his work permit hearing tomorrow.

Former Benfica boss Bruno Lage does not meet the criteria required to be allowed to move to England.

However, Wolves hope the 45-year-old’s recent stints as assistant manager to Carlos Carvalhal at both Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea will count in his favour.

Lage has quickly been identified as the right fit to take over at a club that already has a huge Portuguese influence.

It is anticipated Wolves will get a decision from the Football Association tomorrow, which would allow them to tie up the final stages of Lage’s arrival at Molineux.

Nuno guided Wolves from the Championship to two seventh-placed finishes in the Premier League but the club have decided to move in a new direction.

Every journalist connected with the club - Tim I, Tim II, Percy, Hale, Leister plus national guys all say it was a sacking, but people are still trying to come up with alternatives.
What do you mean come up with alternatives? The official line from the club is that it was a mutual decision. Nuno said in his post match interview, when specifically asked, that all decisions since he came to the club were made as a collective. I mean you think it’s naive of people to be taken in by that but let’s at least be fair about this.

Why does it bother you anyway what people chose to believe? None of us really know what happened for sure, not even the journalists you mentioned and take as gospel. If they did, where are the details?

I guess we'll know for sure if Nuno rocks up at Goodison or Selhurst Park soon

Nuno to Palace.

What the actual fuck. No idea what to make of that.

He'd be fucking mad to go there. No money, Zaha about to throw another tantrum, Eze completely broken...

It will confirm he got sacked and there was nothing "mutual" about it, if he goes to Palace.

Well at least we know that Neves, Neto and Raul won't be following him!

It's a good move for Mendes - they have plenty of squad spaces to fill out.

There's also an argument to say that Palace being his next move kind of vindicates his sacking; if it *was* that much of a fuck up, then he'd be going up a rung, not down a rung.

Where did Nuno's family live pre Covid ?

Were they always back in Portugal , or did they reside over in these parts ?

In other words - if they never moved to the UK , then he was always away from them for longish periods of time .

Well at least we know that Neves, Neto and Raul won't be following him!

It's a good move for Mendes - they have plenty of squad spaces to fill out.

There's also an argument to say that Palace being his next move kind of vindicates his sacking; if it *was* that much of a fuck up, then he'd be going up a rung, not down a rung.
Yeah, on your last bit - it's really thrown me. The Lazio link made far more sense to me.

Where did Nuno's family live pre Covid ?

Were they always back in Portugal , or did they reside over in these parts ?

In other words - if they never moved to the UK , then he was always away from them for longish periods of time .
His son lived in England but I think wife and other kids in Portugal but he'd go back to see them very often, which obviously in last 18 months was far more difficult to do.

I think being away from them is different to not being allowed to see them. Lots of covid issues still ongoing, potential restricted travel etc I can fully understand wanting to leave the country to go back home to ease any concerns like that, if that turns out to be the case.

Be gutted if he goes to another Premier league club (a completely selfish view) would have thought he was more aspirational than Palace...Everton and other big clubs in the market

What do you mean come up with alternatives? The official line from the club is that it was a mutual decision. Nuno said in his post match interview, when specifically asked, that all decisions since he came to the club were made as a collective. I mean you think it’s naive of people to be taken in by that but let’s at least be fair about this.

Why does it bother you anyway what people chose to believe? None of us really know what happened for sure, not even the journalists you mentioned and take as gospel. If they did, where are the details?
What details are you looking for?
He was sacked because Fosun/Jeff thought the style, performances and league position weren't mitigated enough by the head winds of this season and weren't convinced next would be any different. Nuno goes along with mutual consent because it gets him his chance to say a limited gooodbye to the fans, walks out with his head held high and he and his staff are owed £10m a year until he finds another job, or whatever the net between the 2 salaries is once he finds one, so being cordial is his best option. It also may well have come as a relief

It will confirm he got sacked and there was nothing "mutual" about it, if he goes to Palace.
We already know he was sacked.

Just some people like to bury their heads in the sand.

His son lived in England but I think wife and other kids in Portugal but he'd go back to see them very often, which obviously in last 18 months was far more difficult to do.
His son Joao is at Manchester Uni. You’d often see him in the away end at matches with mates. Wife and kids live in Porto / Guimaraes area.

Back