• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Football changes fast, that's all. We're playing lovely football going forward but we're incredibly open, we'll pay for that eventually.
Are we? Everton didn't have a shot on target today, and whilst Brentford had pressure for 20 mins of the 2nd half they didn't create anything of note.

Granted Chelsea should have done better though.

Also i see we have one point less after 20 games than Nuno did in his first Prem season when we finished 7th, no one had any concerns about Nuno's tactics back then did they? Just seems a little sniffy to not give GON much credit for his tactics at this stage?

Yeah. GON has been good but has some way to go to match Nuno 18/19 and 19/20. I felt like those teams could beat anyone on their day

Have to be careful since I didn't see the majority of the match today so I'll bow to it having worked a treat in this instance.

Still, it's something to improve on. No shame in that.

I'm fully on board with GO at this stage, no two ways about it. I tried to be positive about his appointment but even I didn't think he'd have us playing like this. Now I'm thinking about him longer term, and good managers will figure out ways to nullify what he has us doing. It's up to him now to show he has the flexibility to change and the intelligence to make the right changes when called for.

We weren't actually very good in the first half of 2018/19. People mesh the good PL two seasons under Nuno together.

We were like 14th when we beat Chelsea in early December and a Ryan Bennett challenge away from losing that one.

Yes though worth noting that on paper that team/squad was of a higher, more established calibre than the current one
Oh definitely. And I’m not complaining. We over-performed in a similar way under Bruno though so let’s not blind ourselves that we might drop off if we don’t keep improving. This is more enjoyable than under Bruno though in the sense that we are scoring goals this time.

As well as we played today we are nowhere near the level of the team we were that season under Nuno.
Impossible to compare really as Nuno had better players available. Nuno’s team was a machine and it was fantastic watching us compete in the PL but but I enjoyed today’s performance just as much from a group of players that man for man would be considered far less talented.

We've scored 7 more goals than we had at this stage under Nuno in that first 7th placed season too. 😲
I truly think the difference is that Nuno had an enormous amount of credit in the bank by that point, for two reasons.
  1. We trampled the Championship with scarcely any strain
  2. He was fucking Nuno, and you don't often get managers who connect with supporters the way he does
GO is doing fantastically, I'm absolutely not arguing against that. But he doesn't have a 99 point promotion winning season underpinning the current success.

Oh definitely. And I’m not complaining. We over-performed in a similar way under Bruno though so let’s not blind ourselves that we might drop off if we don’t keep improving. This is more enjoyable than under Bruno though in the sense that we are scoring goals this time.

Very very rare I walked away from a Lage game thinking we played really well.

We beat Rafa's Everton under him (just) and it was clearly because they gave us a goal and just didn't turn up for an hour.

I'd imagine that it will drop off over the next month or so because we are losing Hwang and RAN, as fans we need to be patient regarding that.

We weren't actually very good in the first half of 2018/19. People mesh the good PL two seasons under Nuno together.

We were like 14th when we beat Chelsea in early December and a Ryan Bennett challenge away from losing that one.

Difference is Nuno had heaps of credit in the bank for that 18/19 season. O’Neil has very much had to, and still has to, win fans over.

We beat Rafa's Everton under him (just) and it was clearly because they gave us a goal and just didn't turn up for an hour.
Was the Watford 4-0 under Lage? That was a good performance.

I was trying to think earlier of games since Nuno that we have played as well as today in.

United away we were very good throughout the game and deserved to win. Not sure anything as comprehensive as this.

Back