• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Always thought he was a bit of a nob, particularly doing his tactical genius masterclasses. I won't miss him.
Don't think he'll get the boot anytime soon though. Think his new contract was the realisation that an actual manager would cost too much, in expected expenditure rather than personal wages, and that someone like GON is the best they could do.

I can't see them sacking him just yet. It costs money to sack managers and even more to recruit them.

I also don't think they'll be as terrified of relegation as they were when they sacked Lage given some of the profits relegated teams have raised since then.

A good manager makes the team greater than the sum of its parts. We are the exact opposite of that. Our squad needs a manager who is clear is in his own mind what he wants from his players, not the fool in charge at the moment whose "plan" becomes more inexplicable by the week. Undoubtedly he hasn't been helped by Fosun's reckless approach to the transfer window but that does not excuse the fact that we are a disorganised shambles at the back and as soon as the midfield ands forwards tire and we get pushed back and fold like a pack of cards.

I see he’s pulled out the fixtures card again…

We got 17 of our 45 points from the top 7 last year.

Just making excuses for self preservation. Making out were bloody Ipswich.

I see he’s pulled out the fixtures card again…

We got 17 of our 45 points from the top 7 last year.

Just making excuses for self preservation. Making out were bloody Ipswich.

Thing is he's including Newcastle, Villa and the "big six" - what message does it send to the players when he keeps coming out with this? That's 16 games of a 38 game season that he's basically alluding to us having little chance of picking up any points in.

I've never been quite GON out, but he's a manager that can't control a football game. He has this heavy, heavy press which kinda works in the first half, but once he's run his players into the ground he doesn't know how to react to that. Some of that is on squad construction which is out of his hands, but he has to play with the hand he's been dealt. He can't manage a full 90 minute, so for the first time I'm going to say he needs to go.

All that said, I doubt we'll employ anyone better

We won't get anyone better is valid, but it's also not a defence.

He isn't learning lessons. That's two games in a row where we were in front and playing quite well and yet we've ended up losing and you wouldn't say it was unfair. Our ball retention is shocking. It's also now six months where we've won literally one league game.

I've never been quite GON out, but he's a manager that can't control a football game. He has this heavy, heavy press which kinda works in the first half, but once he's run his players into the ground he doesn't know how to react to that. Some of that is on squad construction which is out of his hands, but he has to play with the hand he's been dealt. He can't manage a full 90 minute, so for the first time I'm going to say he needs to go.

I've tried to be positive about GON but after today that's it.

He has to go . . . NOW . . . relegation is almost becoming a certainty without a dramatic change in direction.

However, given Shi and the clusterfuck way the club is being run who knows what will happen.

If we don't employ someone better we're going down , and Fosun will not want that . Act now and we have a chance of staying up with the right choice , drag it on and we have none .

The new contract is a worry, and I get there are some things that do feel out of his control but ultimately there are things that do seem to lie with him, worse still I don't know what his thinking or ideas are for the team and he has now pivoted again from what preseason seemed to be.

Football management is sadly fickle, especially at the higher levels. Initially I felt we had given ourselves a disadvantage by hiring him, I have pivoted from that view at times, but now am firmly back there.

We won't get anyone better is valid, but it's also not a defence.

He isn't learning lessons. That's two games in a row where we were in front and playing quite well and yet we've ended up losing and you wouldn't say it was unfair. Our ball retention is shocking. It's also now six months where we've won literally one league game.
It would be stupidly unpopular but I’d say Allardyce might actually be an improvement.

Disclaimer: not a vote for Big Sam.

Back