• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City Away: Build Up Thread

You know how I've been argueing that its not too negative on here......better put the earplugs in. Our two worst wb's defensively up agaonst one of Europes best attacks, what can possibly go wrong?

I'm expecting Neves and Donck to play as CBs and the WBs to be very counter attacking

Maybe he's trying to flip things round a bit. Start like a train, push the wide men back, nick an early goal and then sit on it. They are vulberable at the back

I said earlier in the thread City's defence could be got at. With that line up we've got little choice as they will have plenty of opportunities going forwards. I predict another 5-2

As I always say. Team selections don’t mean a great deal, more how we play.

3-4-3 is more defensive than 3-5-2 because you end of 5-4-1 but then it also means you can have 3 forward players plus wingbacks to counter rather than just 2.

So not really sure what to make of it on paper. Depends how well the WBs can counter, but if they are pinned back then they will be behind the ball.

If Neto is injured then I guess we had to play 3-5-2 anyway unless we shoehorned MGW in there. Let’s see how it goes. But in reality it won’t make much diffence whatever system and style we play.

Not fussed about Cutrone and Raul up front, but those wing backs could be a disaster. Let's hope its a masterstroke.

Perhaps in the absence of Neto and Jota Nuno feels we're short of pace and trickery in advanced positions??

This is a bit of a free hit tbh, I’ll be happy as long as we don’t get spanked.

Very defensive bench, probably shows that we need the international break to get a few over their knocks

While that is undoubtedly true, it a whole different magnitude of test today. If our defence holds up well against this superlative City team and we get out with a narrow defeat or maybe even a draw, that result would be 100 times better than Besiktas. We are going to have probably 25-30% possession today at best and it is going to take a Herculean effort to stay within sight of them.

Yes: bigger test today. Especially given the starting XI!

As prawnking says, i think without Neto and Jota he has tried to add some pace to get at their back four on the break.

All down to how well we press them and then get the ball out wide.

Let's be honest though, we could try and sit in and get spanked 6-0. So might as well try and have a go. If it's going to shit we can change to 8 at the back...

anyone else having problems with the radio commentary, as in it's dead as a dodo!

All I can think back to is Cities first last season the ball in behind Doc. He's a hundred times more defensively disciplined than Adama (just fact)can see them properly exploiting that side especially after a breakdown and Adama sits for a few seconds and then strolls back.

Shades of the Bright game a couple of years ago so far.

Back