• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City Away: Build Up Thread

Nah, the tone was really negative imo. I came on here post game expecting to see posts along the lines of
"what an a win! I can't believe we've just won away in Europe and only conceded 1 shot on target! We were a bit sloppy in possession and Nuno correctly identified that neto and MGW weren't playing well. We need to improve but this is a great base to build from"

Instead I felt like I reading posts after we'd just lost away at Burton!

I guess we're all reading it with a different perspective, for me the vast majority of posts were pleased we won, defended mostly very well and finished strongly but that for the majority of the game we were disjointed with some poor passing and ball retention when on the attack.......didn't see anything too negative. Sometimes the criticism of the criticism seems more over the top than the actual criticism to me......does that make any sense?

Nah, the tone was really negative imo. I came on here post game expecting to see posts along the lines of
"what an a win! I can't believe we've just won away in Europe and only conceded 1 shot on target! We were a bit sloppy in possession and Nuno correctly identified that neto and MGW weren't playing well. We need to improve but this is a great base to build from"

So you were disappointed that everyone wasn't parroting bland inanities?

I don't come on a forum to read safe views that mirror my own, I come on because I'm interested how people see things (and there are a lot of savvy people on here) and sometimes I like adding my own contribution.

This 'negativity' thing is a false narrative. Most people who have been critical in the opening months of the season have identified specific problems. Disagree if you like, I don't agree with all of them, but it's hardly mindless carping. We HAVE had a mixed start to the season results and performance-wise, I don't get why it's taboo to bring it up.

On here?

I thought it was quite balanced. Even the boss said it wasn't great but we got the win. I thought that was the general mood on here post game.

Nuno and his relentless negativity innit?

I’d take the same against Man City obviously - doubt we’d manage it without an improvement in ball retention and threat though. I’m always hopeful with this team however!!

Nothing but hope tomorrow but seeing Hoffenheim do Munich away today is what makes us dream.

So you were disappointed that everyone wasn't parroting bland inanities?

I don't come on a forum to read safe views that mirror my own, I come on because I'm interested how people see things (and there are a lot of savvy people on here) and sometimes I like adding my own contribution.

This 'negativity' thing is a false narrative. Most people who have been critical in the opening months of the season have identified specific problems. Disagree if you like, I don't agree with all of them, but it's hardly mindless carping. We HAVE had a mixed start to the season results and performance-wise, I don't get why it's taboo to bring it up.

Exactly this. The Besiktas game was the first time I've ever found myself 100% in agreement with Johnny: we were bloody awful in the first half of that game. But football is a game of opinions and by and large there are some quite intelligent ones on this forum. I have my views - I'm a Traore fan but I know he needs a lot of work, I don't think MGW will ever fulfil his potential - and I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I don't especially enjoy being called a £$%& but I accept that passions run high. But negative for the sake of being negative? There's hardly anyone that applies to.

Football fans are never satisfied; it's part and parcel of following a team. Any perceived backward step hurts. Though many -- including myself -- would say they'd be delighted with a top-half finish and a decent tilt at the EL this year, in reality we soon got used to some exceptional results last season and part of me wants and even expects the same again.

Re. the Besiktas game I did feel that our excellent defensive display didn't get the credit it deserved while people were moaning about us losing the ball in the middle of the park. Besiktas didn't look great but I think we stopped them playing where it mattered, too.

While that is undoubtedly true, it a whole different magnitude of test today. If our defence holds up well against this superlative City team and we get out with a narrow defeat or maybe even a draw, that result would be 100 times better than Besiktas. We are going to have probably 25-30% possession today at best and it is going to take a Herculean effort to stay within sight of them.

Exactly this. The Besiktas game was the first time I've ever found myself 100% in agreement with Johnny: we were bloody awful in the first half of that game. But football is a game of opinions and by and large there are some quite intelligent ones on this forum. I have my views - I'm a Traore fan but I know he needs a lot of work, I don't think MGW will ever fulfil his potential - and I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I don't especially enjoy being called a £$%& but I accept that passions run high. But negative for the sake of being negative? There's hardly anyone that applies to.

Agree with all of this..........except about MGW of course, ya numpty, haha

Also, in the interests of balance, can I say I enjoyed Deano and DW's breakdown on the Besiktas thread about our status as a rookie European team and the different challenges those competitions bring.

Although the Besiktas game still featured a couple of elements that have been worrying features of our season so far for me, reading those breakdowns afterwards made me appreciate other considerations and complexities

Vinagre and Traore at WB.

Not what I was expecting at all.

Cutrone and Raul up front. I expect them to have to work really hard and for the midfield to be quite defensive

Fuck that’s a bit mental

Neto must be injured then

Erm. This didn't look particularly solid against Everton...

Feeling a bit sweaty looking at that lineup a bit to cavalier for me.

Big games for Adama and Vinagre.

Erm. This didn't look particularly solid against Everton...

Very true

I think it’s largely a case of that we prioritised Thursday game - I can live with that. We are going to be very deep anyway so those two shouldn’t be leaving as much space as they did at Everton

Very true

I think it’s largely a case of that we prioritised Thursday game - I can live with that. We are going to be very deep anyway so those two shouldn’t be leaving as much space as they did at Everton
Yes true. One of Raul or Pat is going to have to play very deep.

I saw one suggested line up that had the normal back 5, Neves and Moutinho in the middle and Adama/Vinagre either side of Cutrone. I quite liked that. This one, bloody hell. I think we can say there will be goals...

I'm also not sure about those wing backs... Neto injured? No other decent options up front unless we crowbar Traore or MGW into it.

As long as we don't get thrashed I won't nitpick too much!

Not sure why you'd name Doherty, Jonny, Kilman, Bennett and Vallejo all on the bench. Neto has to be injured.

Back