• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City 5-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Yup. The "yeah it's wrong, but not quite wrong enough" bullshit is the biggest problem with VAR imo. I've got no problem with games being 're-refereed' if it means the correct decision

As I've said many times get rid of the 'clear and obvious' protect our mates schtick and it solves 90% of wrong calls/errors.
Two refs (?) had a week to look over the footage and still think it is a penalty. Absolutely baffling. Doing away with clear and obvious wouldn't fix that.

Having looked at DW's footage, RAN's leg misses Gvardiol. Gvardiols follow through catches RAN above the knee, on his other leg/hip and his elbow goes into RANs nose.

The moment you remove the clear and obvious nonsense the moment you remove ambiguity and places to hide.
Just look at the nonsense of all this “ its wrong on field” but “but its right off field with replays” my conclusion is not re-reffing matches.
Explain our disallowed goal v Bournemouth absolute maximum interference.
If VAR is here we want as close to the right call as possible I frankly don’t care a jot about re-reffing games, just acts a refs protective armour that’s all.

I don't think Pawson was even going to give it until Foden did his Kevin Nolan impression.

Pratwell was then as clueless as he always is.

I mean this is just fucking nonsense, isn't it:

A five-person Key Match Incident Panel voted by a 3-2 majority that referee Craig Pawson should not have given a spot-kick.

However, it unanimously agreed the video assistant referee was correct not to intervene.

So yeah we were wrong but also right not to correct an error. Say what now.
I just copied and pasted exactly that and saw you'd already made the point. It's just utter bollocks. VAR will never work unless as soon as something is referred the only thing that matters is getting the correct decision. Clear and obvious needs binning.

“We don’t want games re-officiating” sorry who’s we?
“Clear and Obvious” is just to vague and to flexible so it can be used and abused.
It’s the exact reason why mr Salisbury get himself in a mess when we were at Man Utd in August, it’s the exact reason Tony Harrigton got muddled at Newcastle last year and didn’t account for the ref being 50 yards away from the incident.

Two refs (?) had a week to look over the footage and still think it is a penalty. Absolutely baffling. Doing away with clear and obvious wouldn't fix that.

Having looked at DW's footage, RAN's leg misses Gvardiol. Gvardiols follow through catches RAN above the knee, on his other leg/hip and his elbow goes into RANs nose.
3 former players, a ref and a PL official. I think we can guess who the 2 were.

The clear and obvious thing works in UEFA competitions. The issue in the PL is the over analysis either way. If after a 5 second delay they just stick with the decision then fine. But they don’t, they over analyse things and still make the wrong call.

You might get Sheff Utd pens against you which are clearly wrong but then you shouldn’t get the Bournemouth goal disallowed.

There’s two ways to go. Either over analyse everything and actually get decisions right. Or only change the howlers which take 3 seconds to see. I could take minimum interference and minimum benefit over the current maximum interference, minimum benefit. Stops the delays, stops the forensics. That’s what’s pissing match going fans the most to then still get wrong decisions or legitimate goals chalked off

If anyone were inclined to do so they could go through the whole World Cup thread from 2022, where we're all commenting on games in real time, and how many times did we say VAR was taking too long, or they've fucked this right up here. I reckon it would be virtually none.

So just copy that FFS. What you've got now in the UK (amazing it seems to be even worse in the SPL games I've watched!) is the footballing equivalent of some Round 1 Masterchef contestant thinking they're Heston Blumenthal rather than just sticking to a trusted recipe and cocking everything up. And the only way that is acceptable is if as a by-product Ggreg Wallace gets food poisoning.

Look at the Saka penalty shout against Bayern. Now I think this 100% isn’t one, he’s gone looking for the contact. They made a decision to back the ref very quickly, who had a good view, great! In the PL they’d have spent 3 minutes looking at it slowing it down from multiple angles and then think they might actually have ended up giving it!

The Hwang Newcastle one is a clear example of the opppsite. Taylor has a poor view and guesses a little because “it looks a pen”. They spend ages looking at it because they know it’s wrong but then stick with it anyway. If they’d just stuck with it after a quick glance you can sort of accept it rather than waiting ages. I was actually in the concourse for the replays on that one and was sure they’d overturn it and then to not was even more infuriating!

Obviously I'm down the other end for that one and to be honest, real time, and knowing what Hwang's trampoline touch is like half the time...I thought pen. You've seen them loads over the years, Berra at home to Villa years ago for instance.

But at most two replays there and you can see that isn't what happened. How was that "not wrong enough"?!

I still can’t my head round them giving that Kai Havertz one the other day.

Kicking the ball out of play, doing his best ballet impression and then the ref gives it. No idea why refs aren’t wiser to that (well it’s Coote) then you wouldn’t need VAR to “justify” it as a decision.

Rather than creating half arsed rules like “yellows for time wasting or kicking the ball away” and “you’ve been clattered, I’ve booked the opponent, but you’ve got to go off for 30 seconds now” they need to actually retrospectively punish cheating. Will actually make their jobs easier.

Back