• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool (H) 28/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Even then, we saw players properly give up under Lage and they did nothing.
Would say he is more inclined to be brutal on a non Mendes client though.

Walt and Lambert got the swift treatment
Nuno was done slowly and even allowed to say goodbye
Lage got time and a £100m worth of players to try and help.

Lop was his man and he just fucked up that when his bullshit was thrown back at him.

GO will fall into the Walt/Lambert box

Fwiw Keen and Judah reckon he's not close to getting canned. Presumably that's what they've been briefed, who knows if it's true.

Keen also predicting (not reporting) a back 3 with Doherty playing at either WB or as the RCH

Toti is back in training, it would be perverse if we played 3 CHs and either he or Santi weren't one of them. If that's the case then they shouldn't even be at the club.

There is no excuse for playing Matt Doherty in the Premier League in late 2024, it should not be happening full stop.

We have tried Doc as a RCB, going back to Nuno. Amazingly it never lasts long, in some cases 45 mins.

I think the only thing that could it worse right now is the announcement that GO has been sacked and Doc put in as caretaker

Might be controversial but I’d rather play a back two, than Toti in a three.

Bloke literally petrifies me with the ball at his feet.

I guess I’d rather play Andre deeper in a central three and tell him not to cross the halfway line.

As for Doherty, if he plays him…….well, he deserves sacking.

No sympathy then, from me.

Assuming we don’t beat Liverpool a failure to win at Brentford would leave us with one win in 19 games. That’s half a season, I doubt any manager has ever survived a run like that.

He needs a win v Brentford and it's not an easy place to go to. If he loses there AND v Liverpool/City as expected, he's basically gone. If they *don't* get rid after Brentford if we fail to win, their plan will clearly be to give him the Palace & Southampton home games. Fail to win any of them and it's 0 wins in 11 PL games this season - so there's absolutely zero chance he survives that. Although if they wait that long, there's no chance we'll stay up either because the damage will already be done.

I don't think we'll lose all those games. We have good players and eventually we've got to win a game, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that first win doesn't come until November and even when it does come, it doesn't mean we should stick with him.

At the moment the players appear to be playing for him so he hasn't lost the dressing room yet.

How can you all call yourself fans you should be getting GON and cheering on the boys.
You can’t call yourselves proper fans with all this criticism.
Fosun are doing their best it’s all the fault of PSR and the premier league who deliberately gave us such hard fixtures.
When we play easier games we’ll pick up points. You all just need to calm down a bit.

Not my words just some of the crap that’s flown my way on social when trying to point out we’re in deep shit.

Since that video has been shared elsewhere on the forum - If we play Doc at CB in the spirit of goodwill, Liverpool should start Cilla Black. Even in her current state of not existing, they will still have the advantage.

I'm not wishing us to lose, but even if we win this game I don't think he is the answer. We beat Man City last season and it turned our season around, however I don't think tactically Gary O'Neil is up to the job. Any win is going to paper over the cracks which is almost half a season and only one win. We're in that phase now where we know it, but we're waiting on him to have too many shit results to then get rid. The same happened with Lage where we hesitated because it was a loss against Man City, gave him the international break and then sacked him straight after.

I'd go with DW's team but fear Liverpool managing to isolate either CB, and I also don't think O'Neil will play that. Some of the noises around who will go at the back (Lemina or Doherty) fill me with dread. Maybe this will be O'Neil's equivalent of playing Neves at CB. I don't think Liverpool played amazing vs West Ham, they are beatable for a team that can stay organised but are very lethal if you leave the defence exposed and give up a lot of shots which are both O'Neil specialties.

Back