• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2017/18

I guess then my question becomes what's the point of having the table if we will just ignore it because the players for whatever club are "average players playing above themselves"?

Not trying to have a go but it seems a bit off to me to kind of brush them off because we think they shouldn't be in 4th.

Not that they don't deserve to be where they are BUT a better indicator is their position come the end of the season and I will be very surprised if they are still anywhere near the top six points wise.

I find Dyche quite annoying but he's a quality manager and doing a very good job. They are regularly out performing their expected goals FOR and AGAINST in terms of the chances they create and concede which very few sides do at all. Fascinating to see where they do end up and if they can keep that up (I expect not but for a side just happy to be in the league it is great for them)

It isn't very good as a whole, certainly not the best league in the world as some would have you believe. Man City are far and away the best side and Liverpool are pretty good to watch going forward as are Spurs and the other big sides are better than the other sides 90% of the time but as you say the rest are a much of a muchness. The football played by the majority of the teams is pretty dull to be honest and serves a purpose rather than anything else. So overall my not very good comment is pretty accurate if you ask me.

It is obviously better than the Championship and when i said the bottom half isn't that much better than the Championship i obviously meant the teams at the top of it not Burton and Blues etc. Thing is though a lot of teams come down and don't get promoted, there is a reason they get to where they are and a lot of them keep the majority of their players but they aren't that good.

I haven't said it's the best league in the world. Quality wise, outside of a handful of sides it most definitely isn't and there are Championship sides who play better football than most. But there aren't many leagues around the world where the quality of football is great throughout. Most leagues have a few sides that play great football, but also have a lot of poor teams in there.

I guess then my question becomes what's the point of having the table if we will just ignore it because the players for whatever club are "average players playing above themselves"?

Not trying to have a go but it seems a bit off to me to kind of brush them off because we think they shouldn't be in 4th.

Whose ignoring the table? They are 4th and as DW says likely to be 7th in 24 hours which is still an incredible achievement for Burnley. They haven't spent the money other teams have, they don't spend the wages the other teams do, they have players who are pretty average and take them out of the Burnley side and how many other clubs would want them? How many Burnley players would we take to put in our first 11? It wouldn't be many i know that.

You don't have to take everything literally. Burnley are overachieving, I've seen enough of them and their players over the last how many years to know this and so has pretty much everyone else that watches football. Like i've said fair play to them but as individuals their players haven't become fantastic suddenly but they are a good, organised and well drilled team that know their jobs and understand how to get the best out of themselves and to nullify others. Sean Dyche has done an amazing job.

Not that they don't deserve to be where they are BUT a better indicator is their position come the end of the season and I will be very surprised if they are still anywhere near the top six points wise.

I don't really disagree with this but I have noticed lately that there seems to be a tendency to assume a low bar for the norm of a player and then sort of write off anything they do above that bar.

All this British negativity getting to my fragile American ego innit :surrender:

Disagree. BFS will get results out of them and he will take it as some sort of justification of his abilities, and start up again about how he never gets a big job.
I'd put it like this. With BFS you are working on certainty, he'll keep you up, but his style of football will always have a ceiling which with Everton will always be best case 6/7th. Something had gone wrong there, Koeman was shot and they clearly didn't respect Unsworth. On the day BFS got the job they put 4 past West Ham, that couldn't have been his direct influence, just the new manager whoever he was sat in the stands. Ashley Williams now looks a competent centre half again, rather than a bombscare that just wants to fight anyone.

Dyche was more the probably/possibly candidate. He probably would have kept them up, he possibly could have a higher ceiling than Allardyce, working with better players. At Burnley he makes the best of what he has and even his money signings like Hendrick, Brady and Wood are upgrades on the likes of Vokes, Arfield and Barnes but in similar moulds. Everton went for the safe option and with all the money associated with being on the PL paying him well over the odds isn't really here are there in the grand scheme of things. As per Deutsch's radio interview a couple of weeks ago it's why the BFS's, Pardew's, Moyes' Hodgson's etc continue to get the jobs, whoever next bins their manager - Swansea for example, you can guarantee that Pulis will get it as he's cut from the same cloth. The Moyes of 2002 wouldn't get close to getting the Everton job now.

I haven't said it's the best league in the world. Quality wise, outside of a handful of sides it most definitely isn't and there are Championship sides who play better football than most. But there aren't many leagues around the world where the quality of football is great throughout. Most leagues have a few sides that play great football, but also have a lot of poor teams in there.

I know you haven't i was saying my original comment was along those lines though when i said it wasn't that good. I know what you mean in terms of not many leagues have a lot of teams which play great football but again that goes back to my point that in reality the league isn't what the media big it up to be. Maybe i should have added that to my original post. My main point was that when we do go up if we get it right we have a real chance to give the top 8 a go at the very least.

I know you haven't i was saying my original comment was along those lines though when i said it wasn't that good. I know what you mean in terms of not many leagues have a lot of teams which play great football but again that goes back to my point that in reality the league isn't what the media big it up to be. Maybe i should have added that to my original post. My main point was that when we do go up if we get it right we have a real chance to give the top 8 a go at the very least.

Apologies, understand now. And absolutely. I've said on previous threads that outside the Top 6 (and Everton when they sort themselves out) we have nothing to fear. You said above how many Burnley players would get in our side, looking around the rest of the sides you couldn't make a massive case for any squad to flood our own with their players.

Al-Jazira of the UAE finally losing to Real having looked like they might pull the upset for a while. 2-1 now, Bale gave Real the lead.

Hoddle has just suggested that Giroud should play out on the left of a front three. Nice to see you haven't changed, Glenn.

The bottom of the prem is looking stupidly tight. No team is being cut adrift

The entire bottom half is the scrap currently.

Hereford on live tonight. Tough game but they are the only non-league club left in the cup so they need to win.

Come on you Bulls!

Leicester gifting the lead to Palace, terrible marking allowed Benteke a free header and Schmeichel had gone wandering across his goal meaning he couldn't stop the effort right down the centre.

After their recent form I was expecting a lot more from Leicester here, they’ve been poor.

More terrible defending and it's 2-0.

Maguire just completely switched off and let Zaha peel away from him.

Been impressed with Leicester under Puel so far but they're awful today, Mahrez in particular been terrible.

Strange move to leave Okazaki out after he played so well in midweek.

Back