• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2017/18

As if Burnley are 4th if they hold on tonight. Shows that the Premier league isn't that good and we can make a massive impact if we go up.

A little disrespectful. Burnley have been fantastic this season, so solid at the back.

Just read a nice little stat that Cyber may appreciate - Stoke haven't won an away top-flight game on a Tuesday night for 111 years! 54 winless matches. (Obviously can't do it on a cold Tuesday night out of Stoke)

Scenes down at Selhurst, Palace 1-0 down to Watford on 89 minutes, 2-1 up now and Sako got one of them (his first PL goal for over two years I believe)

A little disrespectful. Burnley have been fantastic this season, so solid at the back.

Just read a nice little stat that Cyber may appreciate - Stoke haven't won an away top-flight game on a Tuesday night for 111 years! 54 winless matches. (Obviously can't do it on a cold Tuesday night out of Stoke)

Look at their side, it's average at best. Nothing disrespectful about that at all. The other sides that have spent far much more money than them should be looking at themselves and thinking about where they are going wrong. I would say it does also show that the league isn't very good and the gap between the bottom half and the Championship really isn't as big as some would have you believe.

Just another example of good management making a team better than its parts, IMO. They're a good side, if not horribly expansive.

Look at their side, it's average at best. Nothing disrespectful about that at all. The other sides that have spent far much more money than them should be looking at themselves and thinking about where they are going wrong. I would say it does also show that the league isn't very good and the gap between the bottom half and the Championship really isn't as big as some would have you believe.

Not to be too pedantic, but looking at the table says their side is a little better than average.

Deutsch put up Cardiff's side a few days ago and said most of them belonged in L1 well Burnley's tonight was:
Pope
Bardsley
Tarkowski
Long
Ward - replaced by Taylor in the first half
Defour
Cork
Arfield
Gudmonsson
Hendrick- replaced by Barnes in the second half
Wood - replaces by Vokes in the second half

With Defour as the outlier that's a strong Championship side who may scrape staying up in the PL, being 4th is a stunning achievement

A good manager who has a group of players playing to a system where everyone knows their jobs is very effective.

Surely Dyche deserves a crack at a bigger job - no disrespect to Burnley, they're there on merit

Not to be too pedantic, but looking at the table says their side is a little better than average.

No matter what the table says they are average players playing above themselves for a manager that is getting the best out of them in a system they know very well. Fair play to them but let's not get thinking what Burnley are world beaters all of a sudden they aren't.

A good manager who has a group of players playing to a system where everyone knows their jobs is very effective.

Surely Dyche deserves a crack at a bigger job - no disrespect to Burnley, they're there on merit

Dyche is very much this years David Moyes - very good with a certain kind of style but would be awful at a big club.

Dyche is very much this years David Moyes - very good with a certain kind of style but would be awful at a big club.

Everton should have gone for him though. Instead they're paying the gravy guzzler £6m a year for worse football and what will undoubtedly be worse results.

Nobody is suggesting that Burnley are world-beaters. What it does show is what a lot of us have already said, outside of the top 6 the Prem is has 14 teams that are much of a muchness (probably take Everton out of that as they will still probably finish 7th this year)

I would disagree that the league "isn't very good" - just that the top 6 are far and away better than the rest. I would say the gap between the bottom of the Premiership and the top of the Championship isn't massive, but when you include the whole of the Championship your argument falls down slightly. Of the sides in the Championship there are only a handful that would survive without significant investment, most of the PL sides would finish top 6 in the Championship if they kept their squad together.

Everton should have gone for him though. Instead they're paying the gravy guzzler £6m a year for worse football and what will undoubtedly be worse results.

Disagree. BFS will get results out of them and he will take it as some sort of justification of his abilities, and start up again about how he never gets a big job.

Dyche is running at 1.82 PPG at the moment. If Allardyce gets anywhere near that come the end of the season I'd be very surprised indeed.

No matter what the table says they are average players playing above themselves for a manager that is getting the best out of them in a system they know very well. Fair play to them but let's not get thinking what Burnley are world beaters all of a sudden they aren't.

I guess then my question becomes what's the point of having the table if we will just ignore it because the players for whatever club are "average players playing above themselves"?

Not trying to have a go but it seems a bit off to me to kind of brush them off because we think they shouldn't be in 4th.

Well, there's every chance they'll be 7th in 24 hours time. Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs should all win tomorrow.

Nobody is suggesting that Burnley are world-beaters. What it does show is what a lot of us have already said, outside of the top 6 the Prem is has 14 teams that are much of a muchness (probably take Everton out of that as they will still probably finish 7th this year)

I would disagree that the league "isn't very good" - just that the top 6 are far and away better than the rest. I would say the gap between the bottom of the Premiership and the top of the Championship isn't massive, but when you include the whole of the Championship your argument falls down slightly. Of the sides in the Championship there are only a handful that would survive without significant investment, most of the PL sides would finish top 6 in the Championship if they kept their squad together.

It isn't very good as a whole, certainly not the best league in the world as some would have you believe. Man City are far and away the best side and Liverpool are pretty good to watch going forward as are Spurs and the other big sides are better than the other sides 90% of the time but as you say the rest are a much of a muchness. The football played by the majority of the teams is pretty dull to be honest and serves a purpose rather than anything else. So overall my not very good comment is pretty accurate if you ask me.

It is obviously better than the Championship and when i said the bottom half isn't that much better than the Championship i obviously meant the teams at the top of it not Burton and Blues etc. Thing is though a lot of teams come down and don't get promoted, there is a reason they get to where they are and a lot of them keep the majority of their players but they aren't that good.

Dyche is running at 1.82 PPG at the moment. If Allardyce gets anywhere near that come the end of the season I'd be very surprised indeed.

Sorry, wasn't disagreeing that they should have gone for Dyche. They absolutely should have. Just that I think this season, Dyche and BFS would have got similar returns from Everton. Over time Dyche would have done a better job, with the way his Burnley side play it looks like it takes a lot of time on the training pitch to get the desired results on the pitch. As much as I dislike Allardyce, he does seem to get sides performing when he takes over, even though usually it's because he signs a couple of his 'old boys' at the first opportunity.

Back