• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

Keir Starmer’s anticipated summit with the president of the European Commission has been postponed amid EU disappointment at the UK government’s continuing caution about reinstating programmes such as the youth mobility and Erasmus university exchange schemes.
The prime minister was expected to meet Ursula von der Leyen in the first or second week of September, but sources have said a meeting may now not happen until the end of October at the earliest.

That's bullshit, what he's claiming would make the state liable for manslaughter.

Hell of a lot of hysterical crap being spouted by the left and the right, I’m fairly comfortable in my retirement and there’s thousands a lot better off than me who have being receiving it, it’s nonsense, this time last year my old man was living in a care home, I even told HMRC, he still got £300.

Reactions: jlo
That's bullshit, what he's claiming would make the state liable for manslaughter.
You mean like deliberately sending thousands of elderly care home residents with Covid back to their homes to spread the disease knowing it would kill thousands of people? Yeah, no way the state would do that, and if they did, they would be up on charges of manslaughter, right?

You mean like deliberately sending thousands of elderly care home residents with Covid back to their homes to spread the disease knowing it would kill thousands of people? Yeah, no way the state would do that, and if they did, they would be up on charges of manslaughter, right?
There is a difference between "the state" and tory scum

There is? They were acting as representatives of the state, were they not, when they made those decisions. The same way Rachel Reeves and Starmer are acting as representatives of the state? If the decision to end winter fuel payments ends up killing pensioners what is the difference? 🤷‍♂️

There is? They were acting as representatives of the state, were they not, when they made those decisions. The same way Rachel Reeves and Starmer are acting as representatives of the state? If the decision to end winter fuel payments ends up killing pensioners what is the difference? 🤷‍♂️
It's not an end to the payment, it's means testing it so that those who really need it will get it. It's not that difficult to understand, is it?

I'm happy for all benefits to be means tested.
Obviously the issue is where the trigger points are applied.
Personally I think basing it on pension credits is a poor option.

It's not an end to the payment, it's means testing it so that those who really need it will get it. It's not that difficult to understand, is it?
So you believe no-one will lose out then? Interesting how some people will bend over backwards to defend a Labour Government who are already seriously letting down the people they are supposed to represent in favour of protecting the wealthiest. They could make it very simple and cap the energy tariff to what is affordable for everyone. They are refusing to do that. Instead, they are happy to protect the profits of their corporate backers. How different to the Tory scum are they? Not very.

So you believe no-one will lose out then? Interesting how some people will bend over backwards to defend a Labour Government who are already seriously letting down the people they are supposed to represent in favour of protecting the wealthiest. They could make it very simple and cap the energy tariff to what is affordable for everyone. They are refusing to do that. Instead, they are happy to protect the profits of their corporate backers. How different to the Tory scum are they? Not very.
Aren't they already looking at something to help those on the edge of the cut-off point?

They're nothing like the bloody Tories, come on man. It's like you can question Gary O'Neil and his results over the last six months and that's all fair enough, but if you compared him directly to Bruno Lage you cheapen your argument far too much.

It's the right thing to do in principle but I don't know if they've got enough in terms of checks and balances to ensure that people on the edges aren't fucked. Simple way to do imo would be to start doing it on those on tax codes for this winter and then look a more precise means testing for next winter.

For those who will lose the allowance they stand to get it all back plus more due to the triple lock over the course of this Parliament. If todays figures are correct then the pension next year will be approximately £200 higher than inflation and as long as wage growth or the inflation rate is below 2.5% then they will get above inflation rises each year.
As for not taxing those on higher incomes I expect the capital gains tax to be increased to be the same as income tax in the budget so that those who have an income through assets pay at least the same as those who have to work for a living.

I know she was only put on the radio to make me seethe, but I heard some cunt on LBC last week who lives in Spain, pops back evry three months to get her prescriptions, and she gets the winter fuel allowance ffs.

Yeah, I agree with the principle, but the more I read it looks like the threshold is too low
No doubt all benefit thresholds are too low but this one seems extreme. A single pensioner needs to have less than 218 quid per week to qualify (332 for a couple)

Back