• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

It was always such an easy question to answer, the fucking bellend. Just along the lines of "I entered politics late in life to serve my country, to influence policy and help make public services and people's lives better. I didn't stand because of Jeremy Corbyn, and I didn't serve because of him. With people like me, Angela, etc alongside him, the Labour party would have been a much better government than anything served up by Theresa May or Boris Johnson".

They've also returned the £100k that he used to pay for his place on the ticket donated to the party

Pretty fair assessment, although I think he's too generous to say Starmer's had a "relentless focus on the voters he actually needs to win, rather than the ones who make the most noise" - especially because he also (correctly, imo) notes earlier that Starmer's success largely comes down to positioning himself as bland and unobjectionable to as many people as possible, rather than actively trying to be compelling or exciting to any group or groups in particular. (Which is why we already have talk of how broad but shallow this victory is going to be, similar to the 2019 result, but that's a 2025-2029 problem.)

That said, this bit...

Labour lost badly in 2019 to a Conservative Party whose own leader’s unpopularity and manifest unfitness for office was overshadowed by that of its own. If the core of the Starmer-minimisers’ case in 2024 is that his success doesn’t really count, because Labour cannot possibly lose to an unpopular government which has failed miserably to deliver on almost any of the main policies it promised at the previous election, which has fallen below 20 per cent in some recent opinion polls, whose parliamentary party is riven by infighting and whose newly-installed leader has no public mandate: well, you managed it last time. Don’t do yourselves down.

Whew, bodied.

Except Johnson was popular, it was his constructed man of the people personality and Brexit bullshit which won them the election

I think Johnson was already very much Marmite by 2019. They hid him away for a lot of the campaign, no BBC interview, didn't turn up to the C4 debate, shuffling away into a fridge, etc etc.

His shtick was getting old by 2016 (of course some of us have always hated the awful cunt).

Johnson wasn't popular! His net favourability was effectively zero, he was hated and loved in equal measure, it's just that Corbyn was very unpopular by 2019. By historical standards they were both remarkably unpopular relative to other major party leaders going into a general election. You have to go back decades to find anything close for either side, but in 2019 both Tories and Labour managed it.

And the situation now is pretty much reversed. Starmer's net popularity has risen over the campaign but is still pretty much neutral overall, whereas Sunak is now polling at a Corbyn 2019 level.

It was the "get it done" or "fuck it off entirely" election. Or at least it should have been. As the opposition parties dithered about the stance on the point (especially Labour as Corbyn was get it done (preferably in an equitable way for people) and a lot of the shadow cabinet were remainers) Boris had clear blue water on the issue and that got him a huge majority.

Back