• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

It's Official!!: Europa League Thread

Burnley also weren’t very good. We’re unbeaten against the EL finalists and arguably should have won all 4.

Now we can’t get ahead of ourselves, but there are no teams we should fear at this level. We obviously don’t want to be drawing a Spanish or German team if possible, but someone like Olympiacos... big name, but they aren’t good.

Miranda was playing for Olympiakos.

I would expect us to do well against them if we met them.

Just found the example group that Burnley were in last year as reference in last post

Molde (NOR) (seeded) v Laç (ALB)
Sarajevo (BIH) v Atalanta (ITA) (seeded)
Žalgiris Vilnius (LTU) (seeded) v Vaduz (LIE)
Kairat Almaty (KAZ) v AZ Alkmaar (NED) (seeded)
Aberdeen (SCO) v Burnley (ENG) (seeded)

Laci
Sarajevo
Vaduz
Kairat Almaty
Aberdeen

The teams above ended up being the possibility after the results of the 1st round however at the time of the draw it was

Anorthosis Famagusta (CYP)/Laçi (ALB)
Banants (ARM)/Sarajevo (BIH)
Vaduz (LIE)/Levski Sofia (BUL)
Engordany (AND)/Kairat Almaty (KAZ)
Aberdeen (SCO)

As you can see you may not know instantly who you’ll be playing. Burnley got “lucky” as Aberdeen also went in at the 2nd round and weren’t waiting for confirmation from the 1st round to see who they got. From the above ties Famagusta and Levski Sofia were seeded however were defeated by Laci and Vaduz respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty exciting. The fact we now have a European carrot to dangle in front of signings will really help us get the quality in

You’d hope that we’d be fine for the qualifying rounds that we were seeded in - any idea what the draw was for the unseeded round last year? Would be interesting to see that calibre of club.

And Burnley played their reserves in the second leg last year didn’t they? My recollection is that they gave it up as they were worried about their league form?

You’d hope that we’d be fine for the qualifying rounds that we were seeded in - any idea what the draw was for the unseeded round last year? Would be interesting to see that calibre of club.

And Burnley played their reserves in the second leg last year didn’t they? My recollection is that they gave it up as they were worried about their league form?

1st and 2nd round draws are done at the same time.

Scroll down on this link for 2nd round and the seeded teams are in bold.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/draws/round=2000986/

Very good chance we’ll need to google our early opposition unless you’re DW.

Very good chance we’ll need to google our early opposition unless you’re DW.

Very true. You also need to watch you don’t book travel to the city they are from only to find out their stadium doesn’t meet UEFA standards and they’re playing 100+ miles away.

Nuno will want to play Vitória de Guimarães. His first senior club and the town the council won’t let him build his house on the hill in.

Found the playoff round that had Burnley in it - this was after the qualifying rounds and before the group stages, and was unseeded.

Champions Path
Olimpija Ljubljana (SVN) - HJK (FIN)
v
Crvena zvezda (SRB)/Spartak Trnava (SVK)
H. Beer-Sheva (ISR) - APOEL (CYP)
v
Astana (KAZ) - Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Cork (IRL) - Rosenborg (NOR)
v
Salzburg (AUT) - Shkëndija (MKD)
Legia (POL) - Dudelange (LUX)
v
Alashkert (ARM) - CFR Cluj (ROU)
Spartaks Jurmala (LVA) - Suduva (LTU)
v
Celtic (SCO) - AEK (GRE)
Sheriff (MDA) - Valur (ISL)
v
Qarabag (AZE) - BATE (BLR)
Malmö (SWE) - Vidi (HUN)
v
TNS (WAL) - Midtjylland (DEN)
Torpedo Kutaisi (GEO) - Kukës (ALB)
v
Ludogorets (BUL) - Zrinjski (BIH)
Main Path
Sigma (CZE) - Kairat (KAZ)
v
Sevilla (ESP) - Žalgiris (LTU)
Sarpsborg (NOR) - Rijeka (CRO)
v
Pyunik (ARM) - M. Tel-Aviv (ISR)
Jagiellonia (POL) - Gent (BEL)
v
Mariupol (UKR) - Bordeaux (FRA)
Nordsjælland (DEN) - Partizan (SRB)
v
Besiktas (TUR) - LASK (AUT)
Slovan Bratislava (SVK) - Rapid W. (AUT)
v
Hajduk Split (CRO) - FCSB (ROU)
Apollon (CYP) - Dinamo Brest (BLR)
v
Vitesse (NED) - Basel (SUI)
Rangers (SCO) - Maribor (SVN)
v
Ufa (RUS) - Progrès (LUX)
H. Haifa (ISR) - Atalanta (ITA)
v
CSKA-Sofia (BUL) - København (DEN)
Dinamo Minsk (BLR) - Zenit (RUS)
v
Hibernian (SCO) - Molde (NOR)
Trencín (SVK) - Feyenoord (NED)
v
Sturm (AUT) - AEK Larnaca (CYP)
Genk (BEL) - Lech (POL)
v
Spartak Subotica (SRB) - Brøndby (DEN)
Olympiacos (GRE) - Luzern (SUI)
v
Istanbul Basaksehir (TUR)-Burnley (ENG)
Zorya (UKR) - Braga (POR)
v
Leipzig (GER) - U. Craiova (ROU)

Some decent sides there - would want to avoid Sevilla and Leipzig, and probably ideally not get Celtic or Zenit, but there’s nothing seriously scary in that lot. I know there will be different teams this season but I liked to see the standard we’d likely be against

Guys, were out partying [very] late into the night.

What a season. Can't quite believe Benfica got the title and we got into Europe. Massive massive achievement! We've come such a long way

Looking forward to next season!

Bloody hell...

Found the playoff round that had Burnley in it - this was after the qualifying rounds and before the group stages, and was unseeded.

Champions Path
Olimpija Ljubljana (SVN) - HJK (FIN)
v
Crvena zvezda (SRB)/Spartak Trnava (SVK)
H. Beer-Sheva (ISR) - APOEL (CYP)
v
Astana (KAZ) - Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Cork (IRL) - Rosenborg (NOR)
v
Salzburg (AUT) - Shkëndija (MKD)
Legia (POL) - Dudelange (LUX)
v
Alashkert (ARM) - CFR Cluj (ROU)
Spartaks Jurmala (LVA) - Suduva (LTU)
v
Celtic (SCO) - AEK (GRE)
Sheriff (MDA) - Valur (ISL)
v
Qarabag (AZE) - BATE (BLR)
Malmö (SWE) - Vidi (HUN)
v
TNS (WAL) - Midtjylland (DEN)
Torpedo Kutaisi (GEO) - Kukës (ALB)
v
Ludogorets (BUL) - Zrinjski (BIH)
Main Path
Sigma (CZE) - Kairat (KAZ)
v
Sevilla (ESP) - Žalgiris (LTU)
Sarpsborg (NOR) - Rijeka (CRO)
v
Pyunik (ARM) - M. Tel-Aviv (ISR)
Jagiellonia (POL) - Gent (BEL)
v
Mariupol (UKR) - Bordeaux (FRA)
Nordsjælland (DEN) - Partizan (SRB)
v
Besiktas (TUR) - LASK (AUT)
Slovan Bratislava (SVK) - Rapid W. (AUT)
v
Hajduk Split (CRO) - FCSB (ROU)
Apollon (CYP) - Dinamo Brest (BLR)
v
Vitesse (NED) - Basel (SUI)
Rangers (SCO) - Maribor (SVN)
v
Ufa (RUS) - Progrès (LUX)
H. Haifa (ISR) - Atalanta (ITA)
v
CSKA-Sofia (BUL) - København (DEN)
Dinamo Minsk (BLR) - Zenit (RUS)
v
Hibernian (SCO) - Molde (NOR)
Trencín (SVK) - Feyenoord (NED)
v
Sturm (AUT) - AEK Larnaca (CYP)
Genk (BEL) - Lech (POL)
v
Spartak Subotica (SRB) - Brøndby (DEN)
Olympiacos (GRE) - Luzern (SUI)
v
Istanbul Basaksehir (TUR)-Burnley (ENG)
Zorya (UKR) - Braga (POR)
v
Leipzig (GER) - U. Craiova (ROU)

Some decent sides there - would want to avoid Sevilla and Leipzig, and probably ideally not get Celtic or Zenit, but there’s nothing seriously scary in that lot. I know there will be different teams this season but I liked to see the standard we’d likely be against
We'll be in the 'main path' section of the draw so you can narrow it down even further.

Guys, were out partying [very] late into the night.

What a season. Can't quite believe Benfica got the title and we got into Europe. Massive massive achievement! We've come such a long way

Looking forward to next season!

Bloody hell...
Next season. Europa League semi final. Wolves away at Sporting. Last minute João Moutinho winner...

We'll be in the 'main path' section of the draw so you can narrow it down even further.

Cool, main path starts about a third of the way down - I wasn’t sure how the champions path worked, whether it was just teams from the champs league qualifiers, or whether they seeded those guys against someone from the main path qualifiers.

Cool, main path starts about a third of the way down - I wasn’t sure how the champions path worked, whether it was just teams from the champs league qualifiers, or whether they seeded those guys against someone from the main path qualifiers.
Champions path is for League winners. Main path is for cup winners/non league winners.

Very good chance we’ll need to google our early opposition .

Naw, there'll be people on here who will be experts, know formations, strengths weaknesses etc etc. and I'll be sat there going "where ????"and "how do you pronounce that ?? " :)

Next season. Europa League semi final. Wolves away at Sporting. Last minute João Moutinho winner...

Get Sporting draw, I'll badger people to get me tickets for both games, home and away. I'll join you in the away fan zone and yell at the top of my lungs.

Last night, after Benfica won, they showed some small clips of ex players congratulating the team and fans. Cav, Costa and Raul showed up and I was singing their songs with João, with a Wolves scarf tied around my arm.

Unforgettable!

Looks like AC Milan are going to be in the second qualification round. Seeding would keep us apart. Quite surprised to see we have a decent coefficient. Not sure how!

Looks like AC Milan are going to be in the second qualification round. Seeding would keep us apart. Quite surprised to see we have a decent coefficient. Not sure how!

It takes in to account what league you're in and obviously the Premier League has a very good coefficient.

Naw, there'll be people on here who will be experts, know formations, strengths weaknesses etc etc. and I'll be sat there going "where ????"and "how do you pronounce that ?? " :)

No matter the opposition, Alan will claim to have seen them play a handful of times.

Back