• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Israel-Palestine

There's been an attack of some sort in Tel Aviv itself.

I think the only possible hint of a silver lining would be that somebody, somewhere, can convince Netanyahu that Israel and Israelis are now in real danger and the cycle of escalation retaliation will do no good. Multiple Arab leaders have said that they will ensure Israel is protected if they withdraw from Gaza and allow the formation and building of a Palestian state. That's the only way this ends.

Just been watching Surviving October the 7th, not condoning what’s happened since but it’s a tough watch.

I think the only possible hint of a silver lining would be that somebody, somewhere, can convince Netanyahu that Israel and Israelis are now in real danger and the cycle of escalation retaliation will do no good. Multiple Arab leaders have said that they will ensure Israel is protected if they withdraw from Gaza and allow the formation and building of a Palestian state. That's the only way this ends.
while there is a US election to be won, the States will continue to have Netanyahu's back. And he has wanted elimination of Palestine since at least 1967.

Not a hope in hell things will change whilst Netanyahu is in charge. Only hope I see is Israel elects a leader not trying to evade charges and not beholden to the extreme right wing.

I have my doubts that any peaceful agreement or mediation will happen at this stage. Following the horrific acts by Israel I would expect a lot of non Israelies in the area, even moderate ones to turn against them. Let's not forget Hamas aim was to 'drive all Jews into the sea' before this action. Aided by Hezzbolah, the Houthis and Iran I just can't see any good end to the current escalation. This has been brewing for many years.

I have my doubts that any peaceful agreement or mediation will happen at this stage. Following the horrific acts by Israel I would expect a lot of non Israelies in the area, even moderate ones to turn against them. Let's not forget Hamas aim was to 'drive all Jews into the sea' before this action. Aided by Hezzbolah, the Houthis and Iran I just can't see any good end to the current escalation. This has been brewing for many years.
Agreed. So long as Iran is backing groups such as Hamas and Hezzbolah peace is impossible as the obliteration of Israel is their driving force. That certainly won’t happen until Iran has a change of leadership. The current president is a a very small step in the right direction but there’s a long way to go. Israel’s current approach of not giving a shit about civilians is only going to make it harder as they’ve just recruited another generation for the likes of Hamas and Hezzbolah.

The saving grace is that Iran doesn’t share a land border with Israel so can’t carry out land invasions itself, it can only keep backing Hezbollah to do its work for them on that front. Its attempts at air strikes have yielded little success either.
Biggest issue is if other states in the region wish to get involved.
I think a lot won’t have the stomach for it.

Yeah it's possible Iran gets a new regime in the future, I think many Iranians hate their leadership. Its a long way off though.

It's actually been brewing since the Balfour Declaration's reward for supporting the war effort in 1917. That's just over a hundred years of incremental invasion.

The Balfour Declaration. This letter to Lord Rothschild, by the British Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour, was aimed at Jewish support for the Allies in the First World War. The letter, known as the "Balfour Declaration" became the basis movement to create a Jewish state in Palestine. The letter was published a week later in The Times (London) of London,

Foreign Office
November 2nd, 1917

Dear Lord Rothschild:

I have much pleasure in conveying to you on behalf of His Majesty's Government, the following declaration of sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations which has been submitted to, and approved by, the Cabinet. His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country. I should be grateful if you would bring this declaration to the knowledge of the Zionist Federation.

Yours,

Arthur James Balfour

Back