• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Huddersfield 1-0 Wolves: The Verdict

Saw some highlights of the game. I think wolves did enough to get something out of the game. Seems like your midfield is struggling to close down after losing the ball. Even with Tex you wouldnt solve that.

Does the squad lack a good DM?

Price and Evans have been playing there but you could argue neither are suited to be the sole defensive midfielder (though I think Price could do it in a Leon Britton way). Saiss coming in sounds like the man for that role.

I like the idea of Saiss, Prince and Tex as a midfield 3. Bod, Dicko, Costa up top

Well we still have a DM available. Pele is 24 years old, you might remember him from the 2011 U20 World Cup. He made a strong midfield duo with Danilo (currently with Porto), carrying Portugal to the final (which we lost to Brazil). Nelson Oliveira was on that team too.

He has a lot of first division experience, played for Paços Ferreira last year and scored 4 goals which is nice for a DM. He spent a few years with AC Milan, he improved a lot from the tactical point of view there.

Im sure he would work there.

Pele we tried to sign did we not? Didn't happen for whatever reason.

Seeing a lot of praise for Coady's performance in other places. Where the hell has this come from? Can someone who was also at the game confirm that I didn't dream that he gave van La Parra the easiest game he'll ever have at this level. Didn't lay a finger on him all game.

I think we will get a play off position at worst from what I've seen so far but yeah, we need to lose a couple of passengers. I cant believe Walter plans to use last years squad all season. This Edwards thing is so frustrating, he must provide some service to the managers unfortunately it aint on the pitch.

Saw some highlights of the game. I think wolves did enough to get something out of the game. Seems like your midfield is struggling to close down after losing the ball. Even with Tex you wouldnt solve that.

Does the squad lack a good DM?

The problem is that Edwards, Saville and coady have such poor technique that they give the ball away far too frequently - that then leads to opposition breaks. Tex, prince and saiss will hopefully allow us to keep the ball better and put pressure on the opposition.

We had Pele here for a medical but he has a broken foot apparently.

Seeing a lot of praise for Coady's performance in other places. Where the hell has this come from? Can someone who was also at the game confirm that I didn't dream that he gave van La Parra the easiest game he'll ever have at this level. Didn't lay a finger on him all game.

Coady was our best player for me providing a fully committed performance and offering plenty of energy and drive going forward. Too many won't offer him a clean slate from last season. I know he scored but RVLP was his normal self to me and was nowhere near their best player or some massive threat we couldn't 'lay a finger on'.
For me we missed Coady's presence in midfield yesterday where he shone at Blues. Price, Edwards, Saville all awful and hopefully none of them will start more than a handful of games now for the rest of the season.

Edwards wouldn't have played had Evans been fit. He played by default as Coady was RB and prince isn't fit/settled/used to English style. Walter didn't fancy Tex as the central 3 which is fair enough.

As long as Prince and Saiss are upgrades he won't get a go. Walter likes Coady and Evans, plus he seems to like what he has seen from Price after a few handy displays at Blues and Cambridge.

I'm genuinely shocked by the praise for Coady yesterday, in my eyes he was completely lost at RB, RVLP tortured him.

He offered nothing defensively and nothing going forward. Imo it's concerning that people are of the opinion that he put in a good performance, it was sub-parr (as were a lot of players, I don't want to sound like the result was Coady's fault).

Does anyone know why CBJ was on the bench yesterday. I expected him to go straight into the team.

Doherty has been playing very well at left back I guess. I suspect he will move to RB and Borthwick-Jackson will come in now we have a break to work on some things. Depends when Silvio is fit too.

Doherty has been playing very well at left back I guess. I suspect he will move to RB and Borthwick-Jackson will come in now we have a break to work on some things. Depends when Silvio is fit too.

I'd prefer to see CBJ at left back and Silvio at right back ideally if possible.

I'm genuinely shocked by the praise for Coady yesterday, in my eyes he was completely lost at RB, RVLP tortured him.

He offered nothing defensively and nothing going forward. Imo it's concerning that people are of the opinion that he put in a good performance, it was sub-parr (as were a lot of players, I don't want to sound like the result was Coady's fault).

Were you pissed? Tortured him?! What else did RVLP do apart from a few mazy dribbles that came to nothing?
Coady made a couple of vital clearances at the back stick and provided a few good breaks from right-back which led to very good situations and chances for us. He's clearly a big personality and character for us and is thriving under Zenga in whatever role he plays. Personally he's the best British centre midfield player we have. His drive was sadly missed in midfield yesterday. Edwards didn't want the ball, Price lost possession way too easily and really can't dominate a game like a good midfielder can and should do plenty of times.

I don't think either of us are trying to say he was the problem yesterday, the whole team was let down by the dreadful midfield 3 and the players around them suffered for it.

But Coady did NOT have a good game yesterday. First half his passing was dreadful and squandered possession just as easily as Saville and Price were doing in the middle. We've watched VLP for two years, we know what he can do and what he can't. He doesn't like being hit. How many times did we see a team turn up at Molineux, give him a couple of kicks early on and take him out of the game? We just let him play his game yesterday, not one player put in a solid tackle on him and I thought he had a quality game. 3rd only to their keeper and Mooy for MOTM in my view.

Timbo II gave Coady an 8 out of 10. That is absolutely outrageous IMV. I can't believe people think that was an acceptable performance for a full back, let alone singling him out for praise. He did improve 2nd half, got himself in a few decent positions but he then put in some shocking crosses and his attempt at goal from the edge of the area was pathetic.

Huddersfield fans afterwards were absolutely slating Coady. One guy said he looked like 'a shadow of the player we had' and couldn't understand why we were playing him at full back.

Were you pissed? Tortured him?! What else did RVLP do apart from a few mazy dribbles that came to nothing?
Coady made a couple of vital clearances at the back stick and provided a few good breaks from right-back which led to very good situations and chances for us. He's clearly a big personality and character for us and is thriving under Zenga in whatever role he plays. Personally he's the best British centre midfield player we have. His drive was sadly missed in midfield yesterday. Edwards didn't want the ball, Price lost possession way too easily and really can't dominate a game like a good midfielder can and should do plenty of times.

Well he did nothing else except score...

I struggle to understand the point about his midfield abilities, he wasn't playing there yesterday?

Of the two fullbacks I felt he offered less going forward than Doc and certainly not enough defensively to be considered a good performance.

It was the midfield trio that cost us yesterday, and the result was not down to Coady. I just have higher expectations of what a good performance for a RB is compared to how Coady played.

Back