• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

David Orstein on the Thelwell replacement hunt

Wolves hope to identify new sporting director this month but role will be downgraded

Through to the Europa League last 16 and vying for a top-four finish in the Premier League, Wolverhampton Wanderers are entering one of the most important periods in their history.

And not only is it a crucial moment for the west Midlands club on the pitch but behind the scenes too, with the head coach Nuno Espirito Santo approaching the final 12 months of his contract at Molineux and a replacement being sought for recently departed sporting director Kevin Thelwell.

Both men have played a key part in Wolves’ rise and while more attention has understandably focused on Nuno’s future, the post left by Thelwell carries major significance of its own.

The club were flirting with relegation to League One when owners Fosun promoted Thelwell in 2016, but within two years they won the Championship and are now challenging the country’s elite for the second consecutive season while making strides in Europe.

Thelwell’s impact across the first team, academy, recruitment, medical and analysis departments was rewarded with a place on the board of directors and following his move to New York Red Bulls in Major League Soccer, Wolves planned to wait until the summer to name a successor.

It was announced that executive chairman Jeff Shi would take over the responsibilities on an interim basis, yet The Athletic understands the workload has resulted in the process being fast-tracked and the expectation is for a candidate to be offered the job by the end of this month.

Wolves chose against advertising the vacancy and instead used headhunters to help draw up a shortlist of candidates, from which a small number will be met. The interviews and appointment are to be conducted solely by Shi and although the preference is somebody free to start immediately, he would wait for the right individual to become available.

Interestingly, the majority of those thought to have been approached lack sporting director experience (they are in less powerful roles like head of football operations, head of recruitment and head of academy) or have occupied the position, just at a smaller club or in previous jobs.

It points to the title, remit and level of authority being downgraded — a seat on the board will not be included — and it would seem there is no appetite for a high-profile figure.

That could be a move by Wolves to continue a tradition of giving people an opportunity to develop but sources believe it more likely indicates the growing influence of Shi, who has also inherited some of Laurie Dalrymple’s duties since his shock sacking as managing director in July 2019.

Another factor may be the prominence of “super agent” Jorge Mendes. The Portuguese businessman’s Gestifute company is part-owned by Fosun, he advises the Wolves owners, his involvement in their recruitment is extensive and he represents Nuno and many of the players.

There is a sense in the game that even if the club wanted a leading sporting director, few would accept such circumstances. A number of potential candidates are known to have rejected the headhunters’ advances for this reason

I'm not sure "new hire to company will not be offered directorship" qualifies as a downgrade, tbqh.

I do hope the appointment isn't someone with direct links to Mendes. We just don't need the hassle or scrutiny

Can you name every player to score a goal for Wolves in the 1990s?

No.

Saved myself some anger right there...

Can you name every player to score a goal for Wolves in the 1990s?

No.

Saved myself some anger right there...
EDIT:Ignore me. Didnt catch the 90s bit.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Ah I want to see what you called me now...

Anyway had a go and got 56. Happy with that

I got to 18 and typed Madden then gave up. So much shite.

I was going to do it them realised I had a life to live :)

I was going to do it them realised I had a life to live :)

Could have fooled me...

There are some dismal names on there. Toughest one of the three I reckon, not just because it's stretching back the furthest but a few of them definitely fall into the obscure category.

Could have fooled me...

There are some dismal names on there. Toughest one of the three I reckon, not just because it's stretching back the furthest but a few of them definitely fall into the obscure category.

The earliest ones are the better ones, probably easier to remember too as they weren’t such disappointments.

Got quite a few of the early ones, and then there are periods where I just had mind blank. Players like Westley and co just stayed in the memory better than some of the later ones. I still did pathetically. 42.

55/72. Definitely should have done better but there were about 10 I'd never have got.

Got some of the obscure ones but missed some bloody obvious ones. I'm still shaking my head that I didn't get Paul Cook.

giphy.gif

Back