• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I will always look back on Taylor's time fondly, I remember an exciting team with a terrible run of injuries.

The Bolton play offs were horrific. We trounced them at home and should have scored more, the second leg was crushing, I dont think I ever got over that experience in football and indeed life.

Cant say I remember too much of the next season, I didnt feel much to the club at the time and I think the whole Bull thing got blown out of proportion.

We went on to have many mediocre managers after Taylor, who all failed bar Jones and then, much later Mick. Taylor was an exceptional big name to have, yes his england team was dire, but let's face it an ageing Linekar, an injured Gazza and a winded Walker, we had shit all as a team. Thomas Brolin and that prick from Holland scuppered us.

I dont get the hate on Taylor, there was a lot of "he doesn't like bully" talk that the more moronic of our fanbase used to come out with, but other than that he did ok as a manager from that era, we certainly had a lot worse for a lot longer

But don't talk about things you don't understand, you don't see me writing about Tommy Docherty as I was 4 at the time.

I'll help you out with this one. He's in my most hated three along with Saunders and Hoddle, no desire to manage, no application to manage, no interest in managing us. Appalling manager, appalling human being.

Southampton at home has sold out -tickets at 100 points were being released today but the website says all sold out already :(

You should. Other peoples' feelings really aren't what they're cracked out to be. At least that's the impression I get from 95% of people I know.

Poetry.

At the very least, it's my new mantra.

Southampton at home has sold out -tickets at 100 points were being released today but the website says all sold out already :(
Ah balls. Forgot all about buying tickets for that game.

Bloody car going into the garage first thing Thursday morning made me forget.

I will always look back on Taylor's time fondly, I remember an exciting team with a terrible run of injuries.

The Bolton play offs were horrific. We trounced them at home and should have scored more, the second leg was crushing, I dont think I ever got over that experience in football and indeed life.

Cant say I remember too much of the next season, I didnt feel much to the club at the time and I think the whole Bull thing got blown out of proportion.

We went on to have many mediocre managers after Taylor, who all failed bar Jones and then, much later Mick. Taylor was an exceptional big name to have, yes his england team was dire, but let's face it an ageing Linekar, an injured Gazza and a winded Walker, we had shit all as a team. Thomas Brolin and that prick from Holland scuppered us.

I dont get the hate on Taylor, there was a lot of "he doesn't like bully" talk that the more moronic of our fanbase used to come out with, but other than that he did ok as a manager from that era, we certainly had a lot worse for a lot longer
I don't hate Taylor, I hate the revisionism and the whataboutery.
I think it is fair to say the fans turned quicker than they ordinarily would do and the Bull situation did play a part, but I put it more down to not wanting him in the first place and being on a short leash, something Spiers either fails to know or mention

I don't hate Taylor, I hate the revisionism and the whataboutery.
I think it is fair to say the fans turned quicker than they ordinarily would do and the Bull situation did play a part, but I put it more down to not wanting him in the first place and being on a short leash, something Spiers either fails to know or mention

Yep, he stock was rock bottom after the balls he made of the England job plus that documentary destroyed his credibility.

At the time I was pretty non plussed about his sacking, after the disappointment of Bolton I started to care less than I had done before and things in my life were taking over from Wolves in any case.

He was never really liked by the fans, and as you say I think people were quite happy to turn on him, as he had been the most unpopular man in English football for a few years proceeding this and ended Bullys international career.

I try not to read Spiers work, there are better posters on here to read and most of the content is about the level of the annoying twonk in the pub who you just end up agreeing with as he clearly has no ability for rational thought

I always thought Taylor tried to do everything too quickly - the names he signed might have been high profile, but they weren't a good fit due to niggling injuries etc. None of his signings seemed to be for the future, we were never going to get more than couple of seasons out of them at their best. 94/95 seemed to be shit or bust and I don't think we recovered from it the following season because we really were awful. Sacking him wasn't a mistake.

For Taylor, he was desperate to reclaim his reputation after the England debacle. We really were the ideal project for him at the time because we had everything going for us - we had the infrastructure, money, good fan base. And on paper, our squad wasn't bad either. We should have gone up and it was the failings of both Taylor and the players that we didn't.

That article shows for me why Tim was outrageously fortunate to get the Athletic gig. His skill set is multiple short articles at high turnover. Stuff with a longer lead time, expanded word count and greater insight and thought isn’t his bag. Good luck to him, as it is a great career break for a young journo but he needs to improve on that or the Athletic will move elsewhere.

Like I said before, Rosie Swarbrick’s early output for the E&S has been a lot better than Tim’s so far. Shame about the other bloke writing on Wolves who reads like he has won an infants school competition to have a go for the month.

Ah balls. Forgot all about buying tickets for that game.

Bloody car going into the garage first thing Thursday morning made me forget.

We need to crack on with the ground extension, Need more seats! If we’re selling out that early for Watford and Southampton, there’s clearly enough demand

Fosun say its £36m
I think the 1bn number quoted includes some of Guo's personal wealth, IIRC.

It's not nearly as big a deal as some seem to want it to be, same as Fosun searching for outside investment.

Its no big deal at all to Fosun. They will make that back in a matter of weeks and as an investment group shit like that will be expected.

I always thought Taylor tried to do everything too quickly - the names he signed might have been high profile, but they weren't a good fit due to niggling injuries etc. None of his signings seemed to be for the future, we were never going to get more than couple of seasons out of them at their best. 94/95 seemed to be shit or bust and I don't think we recovered from it the following season because we really were awful. Sacking him wasn't a mistake.

For Taylor, he was desperate to reclaim his reputation after the England debacle. We really were the ideal project for him at the time because we had everything going for us - we had the infrastructure, money, good fan base. And on paper, our squad wasn't bad either. We should have gone up and it was the failings of both Taylor and the players that we didn't.
Wasn't it Taylor who encouraged SJH to invest in the 'Academy' at the time? I also think that the whole plan under SJH at that time was to chuck money at getting promoted without any necessary long term objective.

Free worldwide delivery from the Megastore ends tonight for our overseas lot.

Would very much like an alt kit, but not in the place to get it now.
When are you next over mate?

When you can afford it I'm sure one of us can pop down the shop and hold it for you, cut out the extra postage etc.

Back