• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

Yeah they're like meant to be professional and stuff. And should be used to dealing with conflict situations and violence.

It's all very hypothetical from people who don't and have never worked on the front line in that sense. What he appears to have done is wrong, he'll be in all likelihood sacked for it. You saw what happened, the bloke hit him 2 or 3 times, he put a cheap dig in afterwards, he shouldn't have, but many would react like that. The lack of empathy whilst clutching your pearls is why we struggle to attract people into the police force.

It was a cheeky little dig at a guy that had been a massive twat. If he'd done it to someone pulled up for speeding say, then this reaction would be entirely justified.
Fella deserved it, slap on the the wrist for the officer, don't do it again...

It's all very hypothetical from people who don't and have never worked on the front line in that sense. What he appears to have done is wrong, he'll be in all likelihood sacked for it. You saw what happened, the bloke hit him 2 or 3 times, he put a cheap dig in afterwards, he shouldn't have, but many would react like that. The lack of empathy whilst clutching your pearls is why we struggle to attract people into the police force.
What about the assault straight after on the other bloke who hadn’t jumped him or assaulted his colleagues?
I do have empathy for him and understand why he did it but his training should have meant that he didn’t react like he did.

As a police officer you should be held to higher standards than the bloke on the street, and they will have been trained as such in conflict and self defence.

If you can't control yourself and you step outside your remit of a reasonable response and force used, then you should be tried for assault the same as any one else. Losing your job is automatic in that situation, that isn't or shouldn't be "the punishment" alone.

As a police officer you should be held to higher standards than the bloke on the street, and they will have been trained as such in conflict and self defence.

If you can't control yourself and you step outside your remit of a reasonable response and force used, then you should be tried for assault the same as any one else. Losing your job is automatic in that situation, that isn't or shouldn't be "the punishment" alone.

I think there needs to be a careful consideration of reasonable force here, the kick was unpleasant to say ths least but the officer after receiving a number of blows in the initial fracas could've resorted to more lethal responses of force if he'd lost control which he didn't.

By my own admission I thought he had arrived on the scene in response to the the other officer having their nose broken and waded in but he'd already received several blows to the head himself, so you've then got to question how capable was he to know matey was being tased when he kicked? Was he able to decide appropriate force if, for instance, he was concussed or dazed? There aren't prohibited areas for striking a suspect but the more problematic areas such as the head where you could potentially lead to death after police contact you've got to demonstrate a tighter reasonable belief.

From being punched in the back of the head to wrestling on the floor with him to kicking him, he had about 8 seconds to decide.
I agree with you and did say this at the start, this all started with people condemning somebody before having any evidence which Andy Burnham now clearly has.

Too many internet warriors like Leenoch and others on here jumping in. The brave souls that they are.

Divicive and despicable, both sides of a disgusting social media phenomenon.

These same people wouldn't say boo too a goose if you met them and hide behind free speech (not aimed at you @Derby Wolf ) and that is a huge reason of why we are where we are now as a society.

I do agree, Anderson et al on one side and the likes of Owen Jones on the other are all rabble rousers and two sides of the same coin. I'll never take my cues off them, it's why I deferred to the policing subreddit to gage the temperature on it.

I'm not bothered about jumping in too early, I'll happily admit I'm wrong, my bugbear is people not changing their position as more information becomes available.

No problem, in my eyes, with what the police did. You knock the police about you have to expect potential repercussions.

Likewise, you can't expect people to do these kinds of jobs and be robots otherwise you don't get the right people wanting to do these roles. It's not something I would want to do in a million years.

I find it very strange and somewhat disturbing how many people think that a police officer kicking a restrained person in the head is an acceptable thing to do.

Provoked or not, he's a police officer FFS, you rise above it, you do your job and if you cross the line as has clearly happened here, you face the consequences.

This isn't a drunken brawl outside some scummy night club.

Don’t think there’s one person, other than maybe Billy (and I don’t think they do), who thinks it’s an acceptable thing to do.

Don’t think there’s one person, other than maybe Billy (and I don’t think they do), who thinks it’s an acceptable thing to do.

Sorry, should have added that not a lot on here. Forgive me, it's early! Seen it a lot on social media

Can always rely on you Bear, you never fail to prove my point.

I find it very strange and somewhat disturbing how many people think that a police officer kicking a restrained person in the head is an acceptable thing to do.

Provoked or not, he's a police officer FFS, you rise above it, you do your job and if you cross the line as has clearly happened here, you face the consequences.

This isn't a drunken brawl outside some scummy night club.
Exactly. He's a police officer- should be trained for and experienced in dealing with violent individuals.

I think there needs to be a careful consideration of reasonable force here, the kick was unpleasant to say ths least but the officer after receiving a number of blows in the initial fracas could've resorted to more lethal responses of force if he'd lost control which he didn't.
Kicking someone in the head IS a more lethal response of force!

would the use of force have a lawful objective (eg, the prevention of injury to others or damage to property, or the effecting of a lawful arrest) and, if so, how immediate and grave is the threat posed?

are there any means, short of the use of force, capable of attaining the lawful objective identified?

having regard to the nature and gravity of the threat, and the potential for adverse consequences to arise from the use of force (including the risk of escalation and the exposure of others to harm) what is the minimum level of force required to attain the objective identified, and would the use of that level of force be proportionate or excessive?

As the offender had been tasered, which itself will have to be considered as to whether it was reasonable, the taser could have been fired again if the probes were still attached. The offender certainly looked incapacitated, and the most recent video does appear to show the taser being deployed and a fall that is consistent with being tasered, as does the offenders prone position on the floor immediately afterwards.

I don’t think the officer meets any of the tests outlined above but if he was going to mitigate his actions then he will first have to admit his conduct was not reasonable or proportionate. You cannot mitigate what you don’t admit and that applies in disciplinary and criminal proceedings. I would guess he has already been advised to admit misconduct

The vast majority of police officers day in, day out apply reasonable and proportionate force in undertaking their duty. Where an individual falls short of that standard, they need to be dealt with to protect the majority.

The officer who has been suspended was attacked twice and took beatings both times. He was grabbed round the throat from behind and dropped to the floor. His fellow female officer had been beaten and had her nose broken by the man in blue. These individuals should be locked up and recieve lengthy prison sentences , but they will probably recieve big pay outs for the actions of the officer, who kicked the man in the head, who will lose his livelihood.
For me the most noticeable thing about the aftermath of this event, is how the the original video missed out the violent actions against the police and presented the thugs as innocent parties.

The officer who has been suspended was attacked twice and took beatings both times. He was grabbed round the throat from behind and dropped to the floor. His fellow female officer had been beaten and had her nose broken by the man in blue. These individuals should be locked up and recieve lengthy prison sentences , but they will probably recieve big pay outs for the actions of the officer, who kicked the man in the head, who will lose his livelihood.
For me the most noticeable thing about the aftermath of this event, is how the the original video missed out the violent actions against the police and presented the thugs as innocent parties.

So you’re saying the officer was in the wrong?

So the moral of the story is probably 'don't kick a decapacitated man in the head when you're an on duty police officer because if you do, you'll face the consequences'

He didn't have to do that, did he? It's nothing to do with the actions of the 'victim' prior to that, and it's nothing to do with any punishment they no doubt deserve for the actions leading up to that point.

Back