• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

Of a similar era, but certainly not similar attitude.

I struggle with feeling sorry for him, because he quite often talks a load of shit about his time here that isn't even close to true and he brought so much of it on himself anyway (as he slightly admits there, but nowhere near as much as he should if he really does want closure). I don't doubt he struggled MH-wise at times and I wouldn't wish that on anyone of course. Even then he can't simply be proud that he worked his way back to playing Championship football for a decent club in Fulham, it has to be an act of petty revenge against people who doubted him.

The weird thing with his attitude was that it was exemplary (on the pitch at least) when he was on loan here. Couldn't fault him at all, he won us a fair few points on his own, I think a lot of us feared him being a bit of a flash bastard who'd disappear when it got tough (we were of course permanently in a relegation scrap) but he didn't fit that profile at all. Until we signed him permanently.

Watching him slap the ground as one of his amazing passes sailed miles out of play like everyone else was too stupid to recognise his amazing vision and continually letting players run off him like defending was for other people was fucking infuriating.

He didn't have the same application as Jarvis or Henry (for example) though did he? That was my point really

Watching that made me a bit more aware of what happened to him, and also now I'm older, how bloody young he was!!

He didn't have the same application as Jarvis or Henry (for example) though did he? That was my point really

Watching that made me a bit more aware of what happened to him, and also now I'm older, how bloody young he was!!
It was his attitude you questioned originally, not his application. If you take what he says at face value, his “attitude” was a consequence of his life falling apart in the public eye. I have absolutely no frame of reference for what his personal experience was but I do known that my “application” at work has been severely tested at times when my personal life has been challenging.

Great on loan. Awful once he'd signed his contract. Understand the issues he was going through take priority but you'd think there would be more reticence there about wasting the best years of his career. A classic example of being given too much too soon before you've actually achieved much but it's all history now and at least he has been willing to talk about what was going on in his life during that period. Wish him a happy rest of his life... hope he helps others with the experiences he has had.

It was his attitude you questioned originally, not his application. If you take what he says at face value, his “attitude” was a consequence of his life falling apart in the public eye. I have absolutely no frame of reference for what his personal experience was but I do known that my “application” at work has been severely tested at times when my personal life has been challenging.
I've always considered application and attitude as part of the same thing? When his attitude dropped, so did his application?

But I get what you're saying, and that's part of the reason I watched it and reposted it, as it gave an idea of what was going on for him.

Looks like Kights has had a pie for every time LJ has called him a cunt
That group is still my favourite team, despite the relegation, and obviously Nuno's amazing team. Maybe because I was home and away back then, but it just felt like the connection was unbreakable. Plucking people from non/lower leagues, freebies, playets you thought were shit before they got here, and Mick with all his gruff and huff and puff. Felt like we went from contenders for relegation to the most swashbuckling, likeable side the Championship had ever seen. Incredible times ❤️😭

The main squad was definitely from humble stock

Hennessey (youth who would never have played if Murray didn't break)

Foley (Luton)
Stearman (Leicester when they went down to L1)
Craddock (Sunderland and shite for years before Mick got here)
Ward (Bohemians, and definitely NOT a LB when we signed him)

Kightly (Grays)
Henry (Stoke and they more or less gave him away)
Jones (Derby, cost a third of what we got in for the big lug he directly replaced)
Jarvis (Gillingham)

Iwelumo (Charlton, and had been a complete jobber for years)
Ebanks-Blake (Plymouth)

Backed up by Keogh (Scunthorpe), Vokes (Bournemouth when they were L2 and bankrupt), Edwards (Luton, another bankrupt signing), Collins (pennies from Sunderland), Hill (cheapo squad fodder from PNE), Ikeme (youth who generally went on rubbish loans), Elokobi (Colchester and before that not much above parks football)

Wasn't the money signing that Summer Shackell, who was binned off before Autumn was out?

It's fucking amazing when you properly think about. Everything every single one of those players (and mick too to degree) had a career that, before and after those few years, was jobbing at best.

To get that football out of those players...it makes no sense 😂 I don't want to say it was a fluke or lucky, but the fact we stumbled on such incredible chemistry that for 15 players would never be even close to replicated, for 'season of your dreams' individual form to happen for so many people at exactly the same time, it's fucking mental.

Wasn't the money signing that Summer Shackell, who was binned off before Autumn was out?
Think Stears cost more, Shackell was £1m but Mick did that thing he sometimes did of signing someone and deciding after about three weeks he didn't like him

A few curios from that season:

Sam Vokes came off the bench THIRTY TWO times which has to be some kind of record for Wolves at least
Micky Gray was still here for a bit and scored an important goal at Watford before he left
We had two Darren Wards, can't think of another time we've had two players with the same name (I'm not sure Paul Jones x 2 overlapped)
No-one has since passed SEB's 25 league goals in a season for us and won't do either while we're a PL team
Jarvis only actually started 21 games which seems really low
Shackell ended up with more league appearances than Mancienne, just about

Last edited:
Stephen Ward went on to have the longest Premier League career too I reckon.

Back