• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 watch

So it's definitely staying at 2pm then?

Sky wouldn't stand for that shit

Deeney has to be worthy of consideration now. Been absolutely tremendous for the past 6 weeks or so.

Deeney has to be worthy of consideration now. Been absolutely tremendous for the past 6 weeks or so.

I would take him but unfortunately Rooney will go along with Kane, Sturridge, Vardy and Welbeck. Shame really as I would drop Sturridge for Deeney.

Welbeck has had another set back hasn't he? I don't think he will be going

Deeney at least deserves a go in a friendly.

I was very impressed with him last time I saw Watford at Molineux a few years ago and glad he's now holding his own up in the Premier League. Think it'd give a decent balance if you had Kane and Deeney as two more physical options alongside pacier players like Kane and Sturridge or Welbeck, Rooney's become such a nothing player these days that I don't really see where he'd fit in at all.

Best I've seen Rooney play for a while.

Updated the OP with the players who should still be in contention for the squad.

I've removed the long term injured players who were on the fringes of the squad (Ings, Wilson etc) and some of the others who just aren't featuring enough (Chambers, Berahino etc). I've left Wilshere, Welbeck and Sturridge in as I think Roy will pick them if they are fit by the end of the season.

Biggest selection headaches for me now are:

Centre half - Smalling and Stones are nailed on, but Cahill and Jones are now out of their clubs first XI and Jagielka is just starting to reassert himself at Everton again after his injury. Do we need to take 4 CB's?
LB/RB - Baines and Clyne will go as long as they're fit. Shaw is rumoured to be back in March and he goes if he's fit and well. Do we take another RB? Trippier has come into the Spurs XI recently and performed well and Walker has been decent this season too.

Central Midfield - Alli and Dier have to go and both should start. No question. With Dier capable at CB/RB do we take the risk with potentially only 6 defenders? Delph is back in the City team and playing well too. Milner is having a bang average and is being used wide rather than centrally. Carrick is having an average season but offers experience in a position we're short in. Drinkwater continues to excel and has to be worthy of consideration. Wilshere is still crocked and Henderson isn't doing much. Shelvey has got his move and needs to knuckle down for six months. A real selection headache beyond Alli, Dier and Barkley who would be my starting three.

Wingers/AM's - Sterling and the Ox are nailed on, despite Ox still struggling to nail down a starting spot. Walcott isn't having the best season but will go if fit. Zaha has been very good in recent weeks in a Palace team who are struggling at the moment and there could be a space here. Lallana is his usual tidy self but there's a lack of end product

Forwards - Kane is class and Rooney is improving. Vardy just has to go. Sturridge is still a flake and can't be trusted unless he can put a good run together. Welbeck still out for the forseeable. Possibly a chance for an Austin or Afobe to get a look in the provisional squad if they end the season well.

Good post, Nando.

The centre-half positions are the biggest worry for me. We all know how jittery Stones has looked recently and is Smalling really our number one choice? That said, we don't have many options in reserve either.

I think it could prove to be our downfall, which is a shame given the exciting attacking players we currently have.

As of now my squad would be, injuries of course magically healed.

Hart
Forster
Butland

Clyne
Smalling
Stones
Cahill
Jones
Shaw
Baines

Dier
Carrick

Wilshire
Milner
Henderson
Barkley
Ali

Sterling
Walcott
Ox

Kane
Rooney
Vardy

I wouldn't take Henderson, but think he'll go.
Carrick is a difficult one but feel he offers experience where needed

No Welbeck, Carroll, Defoe or Sturridge.

My starting 11

Hart
Clyne
Stones
Smalling
Shaw

Dier
Ali
Barkley

Rooney
Kane
Sterling

Lots of fluidity in the front 3.

I'd go with that starting XI other than Stones.

Maybe Cahill is the better option given his experience, despite him being out of the Chelsea team.

Stones has to start for me. He's exceptionally talented we should be encouraging our defenders to play out from the back. He's made a few mistakes recently but that's always going to happen at his age, especially under a team managed by Martinez. Ferdinand used to make similar mistakes and developed into one of, if not the best centre backs in the world.

I'm finding it hard to name my 23 as there's a lot of competition in CM without any outstanding candidates beyond the three I named before. I'd love to see Drinkwater given a chance.

I just think the lack of experience throughout the team is a concern.

People say experience is an over-rated attribute, maybe it is, but I think this teams needs it, especially at the back.

Back