• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (H) 30/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
United away I thought we were superb. We can do it, we choose not to. That's what annoys me.

I get crap teams playing within their means and doing enough to stay up at the cost of entertainment. We shouldn't do that with the players we have.

This is where we have the biggest disparity.

In your view it's all on the manager and see the players capable of far more whereas I see the players as a limiting factor in their own right on the style of football than can be played. They have talent but I'm not sure that type of football is in line with their mentality.

This is where we have the biggest disparity.

In your view it's all on the manager and see the players capable of far more whereas I see the players as a limiting factor in their own right on the style of football than can be played. They have talent but I'm not sure that type of football is in line with their mentality.
Aye, I get that. I just look at say, Southampton or Brighton, and no way do they have better players than we do, and yet they're capable of being far more expansive than we are.

I guess it comes down to entertainment Vs results and where you sit on that scale in terms of what's most important to you

There isn't any material difference between finishing 8th and 12th, is there.

If you weren't a Wolves fan, would you look forward to watching us on TV?

It's not about whether you care what they think, it's whether we're objectively worth watching.

Spoiler: We aren't.

Would you rather finish 10th with Tony Pulis as your manager or 11th with Graham Potter as your manager?

Funny you mention potter as we've actually scored more goals than Brighton!

Edit. In that scenario, potter obviously. The difference between 8th and 12th is different though. Would I rather have a chance of Europe? Or watch us lose more, it's chance of Europe everytime.

I guess it comes down to entertainment Vs results and where you sit on that scale in terms of what's most important to you
That works when you are getting results. It's an all or nothing approach. I wouldn't have an issue with a George Graham winning every game 1-0 approach. Losing as many 1-0 as winning them I do. Most match going fans see our team at home, we've lost as many as we've won. It's not pretty, amongst that there's been some highs- Watford, Villa, West Ham, some awful Palace, Arsenal, Brentford, Leeds and some ok Newcastle, Everton and some means to an attempted end like Chelsea and Liverpool. On balance it's not enjoyable I say that with the self awareness of watching us play in Div4 and 3 and for the vast majority of time what is now the Championship, but then was being charged football not 'entertainment' prices

Feel free to start a poll as to whether we would like Bruno Lage or Graham Potter in charge at Wolves. Not entirely sure you'll get the result you want though.

As a fan I take some pride when we play well and I’d happily sacrifice a few league places in exchange for being entertained. A journey isn’t just about arriving, you should smell the flowers on the way!

United away I thought we were superb. We can do it, we choose not to. That's what annoys me.

I get crap teams playing within their means and doing enough to stay up at the cost of entertainment. We shouldn't do that with the players we have.
This is exactly where I am.

And it really pisses me off when Lage tells us we're great when we've played gash.

He can really do it, fuck knows why he didn't.

That works when you are getting results. It's an all or nothing approach. I wouldn't have an issue with a George Graham winning every game 1-0 approach. Losing as many 1-0 as winning them I do. Most match going fans see our team at home, we've lost as many as we've won. It's not pretty, amongst that there's been some highs- Watford, Villa, West Ham, some awful Palace, Arsenal, Brentford, Leeds and some ok Newcastle, Everton and some means to an attempted end like Chelsea and Liverpool. On balance it's not enjoyable I say that with the self awareness of watching us play in Div4 and 3 and for the vast majority of time what is now the Championship, but then was being charged football not 'entertainment' prices
Would we be backing Lage then if we were bottom 6 but playing attractive football?

I’d just like to know why every game were winning we shit our pants for the last 15 minutes regardless of calibre of opposition, and we either give away a goal, rely on a great save from our keeper or the opposition miss the target on a presentable chance.

Whereas when the shoe is on the other foot we don’t even create any opportunities of note. And in fact look less dangerous than when the scores were level. Honestly makes no sense to me over such a large sample.

Would we be backing Lage then if we were bottom 6 but playing attractive football?
You do so often read what isn't written. It all depends on why and how we got there. He was brutally let down by the board and perhaps he is a victim of his own success, or to paraphrase YW we've just regressed to the mean. I think my overarching view is we had a great chance to have a great season and for that we have the manager to thank, the fact that we probably won’t we have the manager to blame.

If the progress was there and we were playing expansively but maybe a piece or two was missing that could be improved on, then absolutely yes.

Sheffield Utd were never as good as their results merited and the next season when they played as everybody thought they would then relegation was the result.

Of course Leicester would be a better barometer. They were rancid to watch under Puel and as soon as they played expansive stuff under Brodge, entertainment and results improved.

Usually good results coincide with good entertainment. Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Poch's Spurs, peak Barca, Bayern, Leipzig, R Madrid and countless others all entertain and get results.

It isn't a binary choice but I think you know that.

I’d just like to know why every game were winning we shit our pants for the last 15 minutes regardless of calibre of opposition, and we either give away a goal, rely on a great save from our keeper or the opposition miss the target on a presentable chance.

Whereas when the shoe is on the other foot we don’t even create any opportunities of note. And in fact look less dangerous than when the scores were level. Honestly makes no sense to me over such a large sample.
I mean look at Sunday. We had one shot after we conceded. One. Not even pot shots from outside the box. Never even looked like scoring.

Doubtless he was waving his hands about.

He tried telling us this week that actually we were really good against Palace and Newcastle which well, make your own conclusion.

If the progress was there and we were playing expansively but maybe a piece or two was missing that could be improved on, then absolutely yes.

Sheffield Utd were never as good as their results merited and the next season when they played as everybody thought they would then relegation was the result.

Of course Leicester would be a better barometer. They were rancid to watch under Puel and as soon as they played expansive stuff under Brodge, entertainment and results improved.

Usually good results coincide with good entertainment. Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Poch's Spurs, peak Barca, Bayern, Leipzig, R Madrid and countless others all entertain and get results.

It isn't a binary choice but I think you know that.
That's the point I was trying to make, it's a sliding scale between entertainment and results with positive and negative axis on both.

You get people who would be happy to see us in the championship blowing teams away because we see more games, goals, incidents etc right through to uber pragmatists who don't care about the performance with the result being the only thing that matters.

If the results fall away then Lage won't have a leg to stand on. If the results fall away but we're playing better he'll get more time...up to a point.

It's a loop that's been round before a number of times but I don't think we really have the players to be too much more expansive. Having Neto, Podence and 'old' Raul back would make a world of difference to us.

As an aside, I have a feeling Lage has already gone after the season, not really sure why though, other than the lack of drive in recent games.

This is exactly where I am.

And it really pisses me off when Lage tells us we're great when we've played gash.

He can really do it, fuck knows why he didn't.
Completely agree. United was superb, no idea why we’ve been set up and sent out to play so poorly for most of the time outside of this. I am surprised that so many blame this primarily on the players (though we all agree squad development has been lamentable). Many of them are not just good but they’re smart and diligent so the idea that they’re too limited to take on new ideas and the desirable is a whole scale clear out to bring in players capable of adapting to Lage baffles me. Surely the desirable is one change to a leader who can get them playing as they have and can? You’ve got to be wedded to a contrary position to be sitting through these games thinking we should expect no better, or anticipate that things are likely to improve. There is simply no evidence to suggest that whatsoever.

It’s usually the perspective of the casual observer to suggest this is entitled, in my opinion.

I don’t expect any positive change though, as overall I’ve found the last 12 months to be a deflating process. I genuinely wish I could look at it all and think it’s been as great as some on here do, or that this summer is likely to see progression (of course, no one actually does think this in reality, do they).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back