• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (A) 26/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

I’m doing the garden and getting ready for winter safe to say I’ll be enjoying that more than watching this

PTS just pointed out that only one of our new signings is starting. Shite state of affairs.
Hobbs signings in the last 3 windows have been pretty abysmal.

Only Andre really looks like consistent Premier league quality and he got hooked at half time and doesn’t start today.

It's been pretty much a horror show for summer arrivals since 2020 (not writing all or indeed most of this year's off yet, they aren't being managed properly):

Matija Sarkic
Toti
Fabio Silva
Marçal
Ki-Jana Hoever
Nelson Semedo
Vitinha
Rayan Ait-Nouri
-------------------
Yerson Mosquera
José Sa
Joe Hodge
Francisco Trincao
Hwang Hee-Chan
---------------------
Nathan Collins
Gonçalo Guedes
Matheus Nunes
Sasa Kalajdzic
Boubacar Traoré
----------------------
Tom King
Matt Doherty
Santiago Bueno
Enso Gonzalez
Jean-Ricner Bellegarde
Tommy Doyle
-------------------------
Rodrigo Gomes
Jorgen Strand Larsen
Pedro Lima
Bastien Meupiyou
Sam Johnstone
André
Carlos Forbs

A LOT of failures there, including Guedes and Silva who are two of the worst signings in the entire history of the club.

The warning signings were there with Hobbs anyway well before all of this, I remember mentioning it on a thread previously because we had some success with transfers in the panic January window and the fact he wasn't Sellars elevated him in some people's thinking but he also oversaw the signing of Doherty after playing a round of golf with him, nearly appointed Beale, left us with no striker for half a season after loaning 2 out and last Summers haul was S.Bueno, Doyle on loan, Bellegarde and B.Traore. all of those decisions are shocking for a club that's been in this league for 7 years.

The warning signings were there with Hobbs anyway well before all of this, I remember mentioning it on a thread previously because we had some success with transfers in the panic January window and the fact he wasn't Sellars elevated him in some people's thinking but he also oversaw the signing of Doherty after playing a round of golf with him, nearly appointed Beale, left us with no striker for half a season after loaning 2 out and last Summers haul was S.Bueno, Doyle on loan, Bellegarde and B.Traore. all of those decisions are shocking for a club that's been in this league for 7 years.
You are spot on there. The key for me is that no players with any standing whatsoever apart from Max Kilman have any authentic knowledge and awareness of our Sporting Director. His network will be similarly short of known coaches, agents, analysts, medical staff, media people. PL people, etc etc. It is fundamental to have a network of contacts and to have status in an industry if someone is to operate effectively with high level performers. Put simply Matt Hobbs has no credibility in football. Similarly, Gary O'Neill.
With Shi we are sadly going back to no man's land.
:-(

We’re still non the wiser what Gaz would have done, but the fact Johnstone hasn’t even travelled after “training most of the week” isn’t great, is it?

I reckon he’s signed under the promise he was first choice because Sa was off. Couldn’t play last weekend for whatever reason and Sa had a blinder - got told Sa was keeping his place today and has thrown his toys out of the pram.

Easier to say he’s “not feeling quite right”, though.

We’re still non the wiser what Gaz would have done, but the fact Johnstone hasn’t even travelled after “training most of the week” isn’t great, is it?

I reckon he’s signed under the promise he was first choice because Sa was off. Couldn’t play last weekend for whatever reason and Sa had a blinder - got told Sa was keeping his place today and has thrown his toys out of the pram.

Easier to say he’s “not feeling quite right”, though.
Or easier to retain Sa if you pronounce the alternative unfit.

Back