• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 3-2 Wolves: Verdict [Carabao Cup 3rd Rnd]

A team that consistently finds a way to lose is always going to be in trouble. Brighton weren’t that great but for a while looked like they would cruise to victory.

I thought the defence generally did ok, but we conceded 3 goals.
Hwang and Sarabia were little more than bodies on the pitch.
Doyle is fine when he’s on the ball and involved but spent too much time being neither of those things.
Guedes needs to do better with his chance in the second half but fair play, he worked hard.
Gomes and Lima improved in the second half, both showed in the first half why they are not starting yet.

We probably aren’t going to outscore many teams so we have to stop leaking so many goals.

On watching the game only up to the second half due to time difference, I really would not be averse to us playing 4-4-2, rotating J.Gomes and Andre and playing Guedes and Larsen up front together. Hwang at best a sub, but he hasn't performed on the wing as we all know. Forbes seems a better, more direct player than Sarabia which if we are playing on the counter is what we will need.

Sarabia has checked out, but I thought his attitude was shit towards the end of last season too. Other than him, I don't see an obvious lost the dressing room theme. Hwang being anonymous has happened in many a game under 4 different managers.
He has. Really right now, with the midfielders we have he should be in a front 3 with Larsen and Cunha while Rodrigo, Forbs settle in.. but he’s clearly not arsed and GON has never truly trusted him.

On watching the game only up to the second half due to time difference, I really would not be averse to us playing 4-4-2, rotating J.Gomes and Andre and playing Guedes and Larsen up front together. Hwang at best a sub, but he hasn't performed on the wing as we all know. Forbes seems a better, more direct player than Sarabia which if we are playing on the counter is what we will need.
So no Lemina or Cunha?

Not sure we are a counter attack side any more? I think Gaz is trying to transition us in to a more possession based team - but whilst he’s doing this, we’ve become pathetically easy to play through & don’t appear to have any sort of identity or idea on how to manage a game. A lot of it is Gaz’s responsibility, but then when you see players like “Channy” put in a genuine 2/10 effort like last night, he’s probably as pissed as the rest of us.

Why we didn’t sell Hwang when Marseille were sniffing around in the summer I have no idea (well, I know the reasons but they’re stupid). He looks proper #headsgone - similar to Sarabia & Sa. It doesn’t appear to be a happy dressing room in some areas.

Rodrigo/Lima blew hot & cold, which is to be expected - but also showed enough to suggest they’d be ok with 10-15 minute cameos in the league, rather than bringing on nonsense like the two players mentioned earlier & Doc. I’d also like to see more of Forbs & would probably start him ahead of Bellegarde.

There was a lot to like about the performance from Guedes. Really ‘put in a shift’ and seems to finally be focusing on performing in a Wolves shirt rather than elsewhere. I would pick him off the bench ahead of Hwang in either the central OR wide positions every time.

Ultimately, it’s another loss. Another defeat. Another dent in the confidence. Another game closer to Gaz packing his bags?

After last night's 'efforts', Hwang and Sarabia wouldn't even get in the matchday squad for at least the next PL game.

Agreed.

Guedes isn't the answer to anything, unless the question is 'who would you rather have on the bench against Villa - Hwang or Guedes?'

This is not a glowing endorsement of Goncalo btw.

Agreed.

Guedes isn't the answer to anything, unless the question is 'who would you rather have on the bench against Villa - Hwang or Guedes?'

I thought he was one of our best players last night, and also against Burnley. At least he put some effort in as well. He's 100% better than Hwang and Sarabia, even if it is just about him playing well to get a move in January.

I watched it late last night as Tilly had a netball match. At half time I was pretty staggered that Pauline manages to drill more positional and tactical awareness into a team of school kids she sees for an hour a week, than Gary O'Neil has managed to put into a team of full time professionals that probably earn in the region of of £20m per year between them.

I don't care what the half time stats said, that 1st half could've been any score Brighton wanted it to be. The movement and opening up of lanes between the defenders and midfielders was absolutely atrocious, we gave the ball away time and time again. The press was pathetic and disjointed. The defensive shape was wank. We offered absolutely no control with the football, in any phase, other than when Brighton let us play it around the back four. Utterly terrible performance.

Second half, they'd clearly had a bollocking, and we did create some chances and pressed harder - though I don't think it was organised and triggered, it was just "gaffer says close down, me close down" imo. We weren't setting traps, it was just that Brighton's second string were faltering under pressure on them.

Other than Pond and Joao, every single one of those lads is considered 'strength in depth', in reality they showed themselves to be pretty big drop off. A drop off, of course, to a team that's pretty shit.

Sa - he was either shit and nervous, or just shit. The club have simultaneously replaced their number one goalkeeper *and* kept him, and that's only going to go one way, whether it's through fear, nerves, or bad attitude.

Lima got over a really difficult first half to show glimpses of potential, but it'd be a lie to say he looked like a top talent.

Doc at left back was everything you thought he'd be.

Santi and Pond had clearly never met until half six last night. A few times both rushing out to go after the same ball, or both dropping back to cover. Neither bad on the ball given the limited movement and options ahead and either side of them.

Sarabia was a fucking disgrace. £100k a week. A hundred, thousand pounds, every week. What technical ability he has got was nullified by the strength and pace of a 60 year old smoker. Not that you'd know what his top speed was, he rarely gets over a jog other than for the occassional press these days.

Hwang put in the most anonymous performance you'll ever see. Or not see, as seems more appropriate. Still, hiding from the ball is a good way to make sure people don't notice how wank your touch is, I guess.

Joao disappointed me most. With such an inexperienced/shit back four, you need to be a solid shield, and constantly moving to offer his defenders a simple ten yard pass, and he just didn't do it anywhere near often enough.

Doyle was similar in the first half, with the added bonus of launching long passes out for a throw in, but definitely improved second half.

Rodrigo didn't do himself any favours on the ball, he'd faced his man up a few times nut didn't create anything with his running, though linked up well with Doc for the goal.

Guedes, good finish, should have scored another. Worked reasonably hard, but certainly not a performance that screamed out to you that he's desperate to make the most of this chance. I'd give him MOTM and I'd also give him 6/10 at the same time.

Can't be arsed with the subs, but Semedo and Cunha were decent. Forbs impressed me with one track back. That's how little it took to be noticed ffs.

GON's comments can get straight in the fucking bin. Offering him 4 years this summer was outrageously premature. I don't care about break clauses or whatever exit strategies we may have put in place, the optics and message it gave out were that patchy form and mediocrity, and failing to progress on any of your existing faults, will not only be accepted, it will be rewarded.

Johnstone
Semedo - Dawson - Yerson -RAN
Lemina - Andre
Forbs - Gomes/Guedes
Cunha
JSL

Tell Semedo not to bother crossing the half way line as it's pointless. Lemina can go forward on that side. RAN pushes on, Andre steps in. Hwang and Sarabia are fucking pointless and don't deserve to start a game until we've seen what the other three options there will do if given consistent minutes.

Reactions: b3h
Agreed.

2 goals in 3 starts speaks volumes.

Finally back with the living, journey back from the game was fine and there were positives from the second half but there are still things to worry about even if we have had tough fixtures.

The big hole in front of our back 4 is continuing to be a massive issue and although i think Andre negates that a little GON has clearly got a blind spot there because we’ve not had anyone else even try to be in there. Unless Andre can play every minute we’re going to concede goals from that area.

There were positives as i mentioned in the second half with Doyle stepping up and Rodrigo looking a legitimate threat. Forbs has plenty of pace but was held back by Cunha who kept drifting into his space and then having a a bit of stinker when he had the ball. I think everyone can see Larsen is a good option and did well to set up Doyle and with a couple of better passes may have got himself a goal.

Looking at the team i think playing 433 is so obvious. Let’s Andre sit and gets Joao out of that position where he receives the ball back to goal. Gives us legs in midfield and options to change it with Doyle/Bellegarde and good options in wide areas. We could go 4231 if we need to with Cunha in the 10 and either Lemina or Joao alongside Andre. I am worried that GON can’t see this and is hell bent on playing his way and shoe horning players in to roles but no matter what he says about us being favourites or not and the club backing him we need to start to pick up points soon.

4-2-3-1 is the most obvious formation to stick with. GON just needs to grow some balls and rotate his three DMs.

Seen João get a lot of stick for losing the ball in the build up to the first goal and while he definitely could've done better the pass into him was atrocious and the team was boxed into that position by Sá dawdling on the ball beforehand. Whichever CH it was that played the pass into Gomes should've sensed that danger and looked for longer switch of play IMO.

A personal highlight from last night was Doherty hitting a backpass under no pressure with the equivalent of a 5 iron when a pitching wedge was appropriate, then Sa controlling it like calamity era Neill Collins. Somehow we didn't concede off it.

A passage of play that wouldn't have looked out of place at Market Drayton Town FC.

Seen João get a lot of stick for losing the ball in the build up to the first goal and while he definitely could've done better the pass into him was atrocious and the team was boxed into that position by Sá dawdling on the ball beforehand. Whichever CH it was that played the pass into Gomes should've sensed that danger and looked for longer switch of play IMO.
It was Pond just doing what they’ve been asked. The pass could have probably had a bit more pace but Joao dallied, didn’t go meet the ball and then was easily shrugged off it. I’d rather Pond clipped it too but Gomes just has to do better but it is something he struggles with and he’s admitted that himself.

A personal highlight from last night was Doherty hitting a backpass under no pressure with the equivalent of a 5 iron when a pitching wedge was appropriate, then Sa controlling it like calamity era Neill Collins. Somehow we didn't concede off it.
Didn't this eventually lead to something the 2nd goal or the disallowed one. Ball got to Sarabia after Sa's juggling act and he just whacked the ball 30 yards across the pitch to no one and put Brighton in with a chance

It was Pond just doing what they’ve been asked. The pass could have probably had a bit more pace but Joao dallied, didn’t go meet the ball and then was easily shrugged off it. I’d rather Pond clipped it too but Gomes just has to do better but it is something he struggles with and he’s admitted that himself.
Gomes gets caught out in that pattern of play regularly, it seems like, but IMO it wouldn't be so much of a problem if he wasn't the designated outlet in that position but also is expected to sprint back from damn near halfway just to receive the pass.

We're putting basically none of our players in a position to succeed right now and that's on Gary, which fucking sucks.

I know its just League Cup but the fact we're having to play Pond in it, with no actual injuries in those positions shows how criminal the summer transfer window was. It's not like Kilman was sold on deadline day!

I know its just League Cup but the fact we're having to play Pond in it, with no actual injuries in those positions shows how criminal the summer transfer window was. It's not like Kilman was sold on deadline day!
We didn't have to play Pond, that was a choice, we could have slotted Doherty in there :)

I think Toti is carrying a knock though.

Back