• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 3-2 Wolves: Verdict [Carabao Cup 3rd Rnd]

Yeah, Toti *could* have played but if it's a judgement call then he has to be saved for Saturday, not least as RAN might not be fit.

Of course though we should have signed a centre half, we had £40m and nearly two months to do so, and to pretend that there's no-one in world football who fitted the bill is just more Jeff Shi gaslighting.

Didn't this eventually lead to something the 2nd goal or the disallowed one. Ball got to Sarabia after Sa's juggling act and he just whacked the ball 30 yards across the pitch to no one and put Brighton in with a chance
Not that it matters, but that aimless cross field ball was Guedes I think.

It was Pond just doing what they’ve been asked. The pass could have probably had a bit more pace but Joao dallied, didn’t go meet the ball and then was easily shrugged off it. I’d rather Pond clipped it too but Gomes just has to do better but it is something he struggles with and he’s admitted that himself.

Nah, no way he's been asked to make that pass. They aren't just asked to play out from the back, they're asked to do it in a certain way and that pass was never a good idea.

Nah, no way he's been asked to make that pass. They aren't just asked to play out from the back, they're asked to do it in a certain way and that pass was never a good idea.
I can absolutely guarantee he’s been told to play into midfield if he can especially if Joao or Tommy are in the space Joao was. Both he and Bueno did it multiple times in the first half. If Joao does what he should and either get’s his body in front of it properly or turns it round to Rodrigo we’re not even talking about it because it would have just been a regular pattern and we beat the press.

I can absolutely guarantee he’s been told to play into midfield if he can especially if Joao or Tommy are in the space Joao was. Both he and Bueno did it multiple times in the first half. If Joao does what he should and either get’s his body in front of it properly or turns it round to Rodrigo we’re not even talking about it because it would have just been a regular pattern and we beat the press.

No, absolutely not. It's not as simple as 'play it into the middle', that pass was never the right option and no manager in their right mind would want their CB to play it.

No, absolutely not. It's not as simple as 'play it into the middle', that pass was never the right option and no manager in their right mind would want their CB to play it.
We’ve been doing it for ages and Joao has lost it in that position loads. Right back to last season.

So what about the other times they did it to? Are they just doing what they like and are Doyle and Gomes showing for it off their own back as well. Whether we should be doing it, or do we just need to get better at recognising when to do it is another question but it’s definitely under instruction.

We’ve been doing it for ages and Joao has lost it in that position loads. Right back to last season.

No manager on planet earth wants their CB to play that pass the way Pond played it.

So what about the other times they did it to? Are they just doing what they like and are Doyle and Gomes showing for it off their own back as well. Whether we should be doing it, or do we just need to get better at recognising when to do it is another question but it’s definitely under instruction.

The tactical instruction isn't just to 'play it out from the back lads, no matter what situation you're in'. Gary O'Neil is clearly very detailed in his tactical instructions, those players will be going out there with specific instructions on how to play in almost every scenario during the build up. There's absolutely no way that after the goalkeeper has invited pressure and the opposition have flooded that quarter of the pitch that the instruction was to bobble a pass into a CM under pressure running back towards his own goal with no options.

Gomes could've done better but it's more of a failure of the team to put him in that situation than an individual fuck up.

The tactical instruction isn't just to 'play it out from the back lads, no matter what situation you're in'. Gary O'Neil is clearly very detailed in his tactical instructions, those players will be going out there with specific instructions on how to play in almost every scenario during the build up. There's absolutely no way that after the goalkeeper has invited pressure and the opposition have flooded that quarter of the pitch that the instruction was to bobble a pass into a CM under pressure running back towards his own goal with no options.

Gomes could've done better but it's more of a failure of the team to put him in that situation than an individual fuck up.
I’m not saying that the instructions are to play it out from the back in any situation, you’re constantly implying i’m not aware of the details that will go in to how Gary wants us to play out which is absolutely miles off but you carry on.

The pass wasn’t bobbled in, it was played at under 23/21’s pace which they get away with at that level. If Gomes reacts we get out but he doesn’t and loses the ball. It’s ok to recognise when a player should have done better no matter how good they are or how much you like them. I’d rather Sa, Doc or Pond just cleared it to be honest as we were under a decent press and none of them are particularly comfortable with the ball at their feet but for all 3 players involved to continue to play out shows what they’re being told. You would genuinely have an argument if it happened once but that’s how we were playing in the first half, time and time again we tried to play out under that press. Correct me if i’m wrong but you didn’t even watch the game so i don’t think you’re in a position to really talk about it without having seen how we played.

Pond should have recognised the press coming and just cleared it upfield instead of squaring it needlessly. I guess that will come with experience.

Pond should have recognised the press coming and just cleared it upfield instead of squaring it needlessly. I guess that will come with experience.
He didn't square it he played it forward, Gomes didn't have anyone within 10 yards of him when the ball was played so the pass was very much on. It could've been zipped into him a bit more but at the same time Gomes could've made some attempt to meet the pass too, he just stood their waiting for it and was too late to realize he was going to get challenged so couldn't shield it effectively.

He didn't square it he played it forward, Gomes didn't have anyone within 10 yards of him when the ball was played so the pass was very much on. It could've been zipped into him a bit more but at the same time Gomes could've made some attempt to meet the pass too, he just stood their waiting for it and was too late to realize he was going to get challenged so couldn't shield it effectively.
Ah yes it was Doc who squared it. Either of them could have gotten rid upfield but yes, Pond should have put his foot through it.

Ah yes it was Doc who squared it. Either of them could have gotten rid upfield but yes, Pond should have put his foot through it.
I don't think he should've, Gomes was in loads of space, the pass was on but the weight was slightly lacking and then Gomes stood waiting for it like a statue. It's a failure of execution rather than concept for me.

Back