• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boro (A) 4/3/16 build up

also the distance to the left side he scored from was shorter than the opposite. surely he should have stood somewhat further across to the left. this was the obvious place the ball would be aimed for.

Thought his positioning was okay but his footwork was quite cumbersome, he didn't really cover much distance with his dive and he should've gone with one hand instead of two.

Sometimes it's a Good freekick. When the ball is that close you don't jump the wall as there's not that much space to get it up and down. It's easier to hit it under than over, so make them score from the harder skill.

Also, you have to back your wall. How often do you see keepers set up a wall, stand to the left and then cheat over to the right as he takes it only to be beaten in the now unguarded side which he should have been covering, meaning the FK just has to hit the target.

However, his efforts to get near it are woeful. His footwork is poor, his agility moving across and then his elevation on the dive are shocking. But that isn't anything we didn't already know.

Should the wall have jumped? no

Should he have stood more to the centre? No

Is the goal his fault? no

Should he have got closer to it? Yes. A better keeper probably would have saved it, but a mediocre keeper who is always susceptible to long range shots isn't going to.

He definitely should have been nearer the centre. Look at the telly shot as it is being lined up. From Martin's angle as the free kick taker, Ikeme is almost under the angle of crossbar and post. It leaves him only one way to go, but it is an open invite to put it in there easily.

He definitely should have been nearer the centre. Look at the telly shot as it is being lined up. From Martin's angle as the free kick taker, Ikeme is almost under the angle of crossbar and post. It leaves him only one way to go, but it is an open invite to put it in there easily.
When it's taken he is more across his line. He is right by the post at one point so he can see the ball. Derby had a man in the wall and Saville should have been doing more to "squeeze" him.

As the kick is taken he is pretty much where he should be but as Lycan said his footwork let him down and going 2 hands limits his stretch.

The two hands thing was very odd, thinking back about it. It just looked a bit bizarre. I am not hating on Ikeme here (at least not to DW vs Doherty levels of previous weeks) but for me he got it wrong. The wall didn't help him at all and Iorfa should have been taking a smack in the face for the team rather than letting it sail over his head, but I still contend that Ikeme was too near the far post.

It was an invite for Martin to try his luck, and you could see it coming as everyone lined up. So obvious it was coming. Saying that, harsh to take credit from Martin for a well-executed free kick.

You're wrong here. Go back and look where his feet are. The tv angle is deceiving.

All free kicks from that area the keeper will stand off centre. They want the free kick over the wall as there is a smaller area to aim at with the wall in the way. Footwork right before the kick is vital. Get that wrong and you will be flat footed which ever way they go. My view is Ikeme stepped after the ball was kicked and that screwed him over. Not a massive error as you still have the wall and of course the ball not hitting the target in your favour. Both of those went against him and he looks a6 chump.

I would be more concerned if Martin had gone around the wall and scored.

Like Punts says, it's no great surprise anyway as he's routinely beaten from range by shots that are far from unsaveable. Major weakness in his game, always has been.

I suppose the thing is that Emi has been available now for a couple of weeks, Ken didn't drop Ikeme after he was definitely at fault for one goal vs Preston and arguably both of them, so he probably won't drop him now, whatever I think. As I said post-Cardiff we need a new keeper regardless because I doubt Martinez will stay, McCarey isn't good enough and will leave on a free and at very least there are serious questions about Ikeme at this level now after this season's multiple catastrophes.

Off centre yes, but he is too far off centre. For me, his position is completely wrong.

For me it's just how easy it looks for Martin, he's got a massive target to aim at and he doesn't even hit it particularly well just lobs it into the huge gap almost like he's just making sure to hit the target rather than cause too much trouble yet still Ikeme is miles away from it.

had that free kick been taken with just Martin v Ikeme, would he have scored - No.
i wonder sometimes that these walls cause more problems than they prevent.

had that free kick been taken with just Martin v Ikeme, would he have scored - No.
i wonder sometimes that these walls cause more problems than they prevent.

If there had been no wall he'd have just hammered it...

A professional footballer should be scoring from 18 yards out with no defenders in the way 99/100

The two hands thing was very odd, thinking back about it.

It really was. I've never played in goals but I was a wicket-keeper at a pretty reasonable level and this was drilled in to me non-stop. I can't imagine it's any different in football.

I know they're slightly different situations but compare Martin's first goal at the iPro to the free kick. Both hit from a similar distance, from a similar angle into the same corner. The first one was from open play so obviously Martinez doesn't have as much ground to cover but it's hit much harder. Martinez's reactions are sharp and his technique is flawless, he just gets beaten by a cracking hit. Ikeme is just a bit sloppy all round.

I think that at some point between Martinez getting injured and returning, signing him permanently has ceased to be a viable option. If he was going to come back in it would've happened after Preston.

It really was. I've never played in goals but I was a wicket-keeper at a pretty reasonable level and this was drilled in to me non-stop. I can't imagine it's any different in football.

I know they're slightly different situations but compare Martin's first goal at the iPro to the free kick. Both hit from a similar distance, from a similar angle into the same corner. The first one was from open play so obviously Martinez doesn't have as much ground to cover but it's hit much harder. Martinez's reactions are sharp and his technique is flawless, he just gets beaten by a cracking hit. Ikeme is just a bit sloppy all round.

I think that at some point between Martinez getting injured and returning, signing him permanently has ceased to be a viable option. If he was going to come back in it would've happened after Preston.

He ends going like that because of his footwork and in all reality it was a dive in desperation. He knew he was beaten.

He ends going like that because of his footwork and in all reality it was a dive in desperation. He knew he was beaten.

Still doesn't explain why he went with two hands. Not saying he could've got a hand on it as the ball has probably passed by that point anyway (due to his footwork) but I think it says something about his overall ability that he reacted like that.

I'm a self professed Ikeme fan, I agree, his main weakness is long range shots, he's pretty good otherwise, having said that he's having a poor season overall and I would drop him for Martinez currently....still think its a bit harsh to blame him for yesterdays goal

Back