• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boro (A) 4/3/16 build up

Sorry DDB, but that black mark puts you behind the wall and without a view of the ball at all. You need to see the ball hence why the wall is there. The wall is wrong and should have jumped.

Commented on this a couple fo weeks ago - it's his footwork that is all wrong. He's standing like a slip fielder waiting for a nick - perhaps not even as poised as that. This is surely a fairly easy thing to sort out for a goalkeeping coach, but at the moment there's just no mobility in the guy. That's not going to improve as he gets older, either.

Commented on this a couple fo weeks ago - it's his footwork that is all wrong. He's standing like a slip fielder waiting for a nick - perhaps not even as poised as that. This is surely a fairly easy thing to sort out for a goalkeeping coach, but at the moment there's just no mobility in the guy. That's not going to improve as he gets older, either.

Agreed. This is why he regularly gets beaten from range by far from unsaveable strikes, not just off dead balls. Also played a part in Bolton's first goal at Molineux where his speed across his line was risible.

Sorry DDB, but that black mark puts you behind the wall and without a view of the ball at all. You need to see the ball hence why the wall is there. The wall is wrong and should have jumped.

Could've gone with a smaller wall and put himself further across without having an obstructed view, Martin was only going one place but Ikeme still waited until it was too late to do anything about it, he really shouldn't have been waiting for it to come over the top of the wall before he reacted.

I noticed not one jumped so was it a tactically decision by Jackett, Gallen, Edwards. But every one of Martins free kicks have come over the top, as most do anyway. But going on that I do think it was planned to stand still thinking it may go under..

I've always been under the impression the wall protects one side and the keeper stands slightly to the other. Looking at a few images on the net, it seems most keepers take a similar position to Ikeme did.

In general and from what I've seen this season the better goalkeeper is Martinez and that somewhat answers the question.

I'm not getting carried away by the Derby result in fact I am more impressed about the way they went about the task rather than what they did. Boro will be a massive test if we are to compete technically. The best we can hope for is a smash and grab but I can't see our defence holding out. Hope we get the ball down and move it quickly but I want to see two up front.

I've always been under the impression the wall protects one side and the keeper stands slightly to the other. Looking at a few images on the net, it seems most keepers take a similar position to Ikeme did.
I was a keeper and that's what I was taught as well.

I'm going to the Boro match. Does anyone know any decent pubs?

The short answer to that is no. There's fuck all in Boro town centre in terms of good pubs. There's a big Wetherspoons across the road from the station and about 10-15 minute walk from the Riverside, we'll probably end up in there.

The short answer to that is no. There's $#@! all in Boro town centre in terms of good pubs. There's a big Wetherspoons across the road from the station and about 10-15 minute walk from the Riverside, we'll probably end up in there.

Harsh Sam, harsh! ;)

I'm going to the Boro match. Does anyone know any decent pubs?

Last season (and the one before) we went in Dr Browns which was decent for atmosphere (the dj was even persuaded to play Liquidator though I doubt he'll make that mistake again!)
This season we met up with a few fans in the Issac Wilson (leave it Leedswolf ;) ) and I sometimes meet up with a few Boro fans in the Yates.
Apart from them they are pretty much "home pubs".
On Friday I'm heading to Darlington about 4pm to meet up with my son and a few mates before heading to Boro at about 6. You are welcome to meet up with us for a few beers

How many do you think we'll take? 500? Less than that?

How many do you think we'll take? 500? Less than that?

Well there's 6 of us so 506?

Not sure but I think Boro have misjudged big time and over charged massively

I'm driving to Ashington. I really want to have a few beers, so will be checking the train schedules. Ashington is about 15 miles north of Newcastle, it doesn't have a train station, so I may have to drive or get a train to Newcastle and Taxi it back to Ashington. I'm on my way back to the UK now and will look in to transport for the match tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back