• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

BHA 0 - Wolves 1 The highway robbery verdict thread

How anybody can give credit to the manager for winning with an own goal needs their head read.

I will give credit for stopping us defending like a bunch of cretins that seemed to have forgotten they were allowed to stop the ball going in the net thing situated behind their keeper. v Leeds I think I witnessed the worst 20 minutes of defending I have ever seen. Defenders running into each other, backing off until they were in the Upper Tier of the North Bank to go from that to restricting teams to 2 decent chances is a miracle.

I guess sticking 10 men behind the ball on the edge of the 18yd box will make you look better than that but I honestly don't think we defended particularly well just had more bodies in the way.

Despite all the (semi) defending I am doing of how we are currently playing, it has to change and change soon.

I haven't read anybody on here who says it is sustainable. For me it's anti-football and Long term, in terms of progression it definitely isn't unless you are a Pulis disciple. You've got three 'tall powerful' players coming into the fray shortly and if a system (that's a big IF) develops that means we become a potent attacking threat it's going to be a strange scenario that unravels. If the points keep getting added and we rise week by week I honestly don't think anybody will care a jot if it means a chance of promotion. It is such a diabolical league in terms of quality ..

I guess sticking 10 men behind the ball on the edge of the 18yd box will make you look better than that but I honestly don't think we defended particularly well just had more bodies in the way.

However you look at it (and to do it by putting TWF fave Doherty in to help out) its the 1st part of the job done, in terms of arresting the slide. We could have course carried like the Leeds & Sheff Wed games and lost 3-2 or 4-1 again and the forum is up in arms as the manager refuses to acknowledge the problem and is doing nothing. Now he has done that 1st part (no matter how ugly it has been) he now has to build on that. His first step is to go crazy and play a new signing straight away. From his comments on Zyro, to me he sounds like he will play behind Afobe.

If by the time Bolton roll into town and we are still playing this 9-0-1 formation, then we can safely assume that KJ is just waiting to be asked to leave.

It is such a diabolical league in terms of quality ..

No doubt. Boro and Derby have the quality the rest is all pretty much the same. I am watching Dundee v Dundee Utd and that is matching, if not beating, some of the games I have seen in the Championship this season

Wouldn't say we were lucky as that would indicate a lot more than a few chances being missed, more fortunate for yesterday. Ikeme only really tested twice and the bar hit. Dunk maybe should have done better with his shot over the bar. On another day, Brighton may have scored 2 or 3 but it wasn't another day (in the same way that Afobe and Coady on another day might have scored with their efforts that stretched Stockdale)

They say you make your own luck in football, maybe we are close to using up a seasons worth in 3 games...

When you look at the Reading game, 2 moments they had they may have turned the game we actually matched. They should have had a penalty but so should we. They hit the post but so did we. I might be blocking out parts of the game as my memory wants to erase it but did Reading's best chance in the 2nd half come from Ikeme spilling the shot?

Despite all the (semi) defending I am doing of how we are currently playing, it has to change and change soon.

Bang on. I don't think we're playing well at all at the moment, and the last sentence of the post above is exactly how I'm feeling about it.

Although I think people are being OTT about yesterday, it was an average at best performance that granted, on another day might well have seen us come away with nothing - if that sort of game was in isolation, and we'd have picked up points in a more convincing manner, I think it could be put down to a good day, we'll take the points and move on. But I can't disagree that things are worrying in terms of performance levels/style of play.

Anyway - my hope (and that's all it is TBH) is that we've gone back to basics just to grind out some important results, to instill a bit of badly needed confidence. I would like nothing more than KJ to revert to the standard of football we saw in the last half of last season now we've got some points on the board. Maybe some new additions (Zyro/Willo) might help thats? The problem here is that there doesn't seem to be any sign of a change in style happening, despite 3 very good results on the spin!

Ultimately, with the ownership issue yet to be resolved, we appear to be very much in limbo which is why I don't think the manager's future is going to be in jeopardy any time soon.

From his comments on Zyro, to me he sounds like he will play behind Afobe.

It's clear he wont play him with ALF. Maybe Siggy in the number ten and Zyro out wide. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

However you look at it (and to do it by putting TWF fave Doherty in to help out) its the 1st part of the job done, in terms of arresting the slide. We could have course carried like the Leeds & Sheff Wed games and lost 3-2 or 4-1 again and the forum is up in arms as the manager refuses to acknowledge the problem and is doing nothing. Now he has done that 1st part (no matter how ugly it has been) he now has to build on that. His first step is to go crazy and play a new signing straight away. From his comments on Zyro, to me he sounds like he will play behind Afobe.

If by the time Bolton roll into town and we are still playing this 9-0-1 formation, then we can safely assume that KJ is just waiting to be asked to leave.

I can't disagree with any of that Kenny. I hope you're right re Zyro.

Agree 100%

There was no intelligence or defensive organisation involved in last nights efforts, the only difference between yesterday and Sheff Weds was that we had 3 men stood in front of the back 4 all game. It was just sheer weight of numbers, physical size and hard work. There was no system as to closing players down or tracking/passing on runners, they literally just winged it.

I've been wondering for a while if they've been missing having Sam Ricketts around the training ground this season. You could see our organisation and pattern of play improve immeasurably when Williamson arrived and then drop off again once he left. They need an older, smarter head around because there's not a single thinker amongst them, it's just a collection of youngsters who rely too heavily on their physicality. Something that's only going to get worse if Ken's comments about adding even more of a physical presence in the transfer window are to be believed.

Good point there Lycon I do wonder how much Sam Ricketts off field influence was missed. Although he did go on loan and we had a good second half of the season without him. The same could be said for Stears, how much influence and guidance did he give to the younger players that is now missing. I really do hope we get Williamson back, hopefully more physicality and communication will allow the creative line to push forward, instead of babysitting the defence.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

yes that!! +1

I really do not see Jackett taking us to the premier league without significant change in both strategy and personnel. hat said he is probably safe for this season given three wins on the bounce lucky fucker. Experience in the squad is in short supply and Williamson will have a lot on his shoulders should he choose to accept the challenge. However if his early showing is anything to go on he organised the defence including Batth and Goldbourne and understood Martinez. We also created more as we were not so worried about defence with him there. We are 3 or 4 players off a really good championship side so lets see what January brings. I am not happy with Jackett and his banal tactics and selection but we are where we are. Playing the cards we are dealt is the key for the next 21 games. 15 wins and we are in the play offs guys

Ok I will say it.We are pretty shit at passing, pretty shit at creating and leave a fucking huge gap between the best centre forward in the league and the midfield. We pick a bad right back at left back. A bad midfielder at number 10 , a right winger who cant cross a road a goalie who apart from the last game looks bloody awful , have a captain who I wouldnt trust to lead me to ASDA car park, and in EEL a centre half so position-ally unaware that its frightening. On top of that we play 4-5-1 and create fuck all and what we create we are not clinical with. Fuck me there has to be better fare on offer in 2016. KJ and co sort it out. I am sick of debating such banal rubbish, You got lucky now build on it or fuck off

PS yes I have been drinking. It sparks the worst in me

Ok I will say it.We are pretty shit at passing, pretty shit at creating and leave a fucking huge gap between the best centre forward in the league and the midfield. We pick a bad right back at left back. A bad midfielder at number 10 , a right winger who cant cross a road a goalie who apart from the last game looks bloody awful , have a captain who I wouldnt trust to lead me to ASDA car park, and in EEL a centre half so position-ally unaware that its frightening. On top of that we play 4-5-1 and create fuck all and what we create we are not clinical with. Fuck me there has to be better fare on offer in 2016. KJ and co sort it out. I am sick of debating such banal rubbish, You got lucky now build on it or fuck off

see that's why i love cypro, it really clears your thoughts, and by the way I agree (sober) with the above comments.

see that's why i love cypro, it really clears your thoughts, and by the way I agree (sober) with the above comments.

Thank you........ nothing like a rant to start the new year is there! Jim Beam Devils Cut by the way in case you were wondering!

Yep at the moment we are the footballing equivalent of Mrs Brown's Boys (well its on tv every fucking night), as every which way you look and analyse it, shows it to be pure shit

but somehow it is successful.....

If you think Afobe is the best centre forward in the league, you must have been drinking absinthe! :drink2:

If you think Afobe is the best centre forward in the league, you must have been drinking absinthe! :drink2:

I think Benik Afobe in the right team is the best striker in the Championship. Name one better?

It depends how you want to play doesn't it?

Afobe certainly couldn't do what Martin has done for Derby against Wolves on their last two visits to Pride Park but then Martin wouldn't offer anything like the threat that Afobe does playing on the shoulder. Afobe is as good as anyone in the league when allowed to play that way, not that Wolves have given him that opportunity this season, if he's expected to fulfill some sort of target man/do it on your own superman role as the last few games then he's got little to no chance of success, nor did he have much joy playing in a more withdrawn role earlier in the season.

He's got the pace to get in behind teams when his team can control possession and allow him the freedom to try and make runs in behind without being too involved in the build up and he can generally finish well but other than that I think he's pretty average in the rest of his game, he could become a useful Defoe/Bent style player if he focuses on what he's good at and just tries to be the best he can with those skills.

I think Benik Afobe in the right team is the best striker in the Championship. Name one better?

Jordan Rhodes and Charlie Austin. Benik is a better all round player than both but purely as a striker there's no better than those two. Benik is better than Andre Gray who would be next best for me.

Back