• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

In IPAs it's a combination of things. The hops will give fruity flavour, but the juicy mouthful will come from oats and wheat. Some have fruit in, but that Cloudy are DIPA won't.

I'm looking for it now every time I try a new can of something. Going to try more sours and saisons

Sours will have fruit in them quite often as the sweetness balances the sourness really well. Saisons usually go down the herbal route if anything.

Just had a fruit salad sour. Moxie by Gipsy Hill.
Enjoyed it, not overly sour and quite fruity.

Wife is starting to like the sours too as she's always been more of a cider than a beer drinker... Trying to convert her so we can pop into more Tap houses on our travels. Off to Buxton soon and working a visit to the brewery there into the schedule [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Tap House is in a different place to the brewery, FYI. You can do a brewery tour and tasting but it has to be booked in advance and it very limited on times etc. The Tap House is in the centre of Buxton though and is marvellous. I had a bottle of Axe Edge over Christmas and it was tasting amazing!

I hadn't realised that as not actually looked into it yet. The Tap House should be easily doable then as we will go into Buxton at some point...
Does the brewery do bottles to take away or will the tap House be the best place for that?

Sours will have fruit in them quite often as the sweetness balances the sourness really well. Saisons usually go down the herbal route if anything.
Isn't that defeating the whole object of a sour? I thought they were intended to be acidic or tart? Too many modern 'sours' are a base brew with adjuncts.

The Belgians have been fermenting sour beer on fruit for centuries.

The Belgians have been fermenting sour beer on fruit for centuries.
I'm not disputing that. However they are still tart or acidic. My point is the misleading branding of some of the trendier modetn sours.

Latest Beer52 order is Boston themed:

Paradise - NEIPA Mango & Pineapple
UFO - UFO Hefeweizen
Clown Shoes - Mangö American Kölsch
Harpoon - Take 5 Session IPA
Harpoon - Harpoon IPA
Harpoon - Wanna Mango
Clown Shoes - Baked Goods Hoppy Pale Ale
UFO - Winter Blonde

Hope it's not too similar a box...

Let us know how the Firebrand NEIPA is. Been ages since I've seen any of their beer knocking around. Used to love their Graffiti IPA.

Fabulous aroma, but the beer itself didn't quite match up to it; something was missing from making it top tier.

I've been really impressed with Fierce & Noble locally. Nothing fancy, just good solid beers.

Session IPA was solid enough imo. Looking forward to trying some others one day :)

Best pubs in Stafford, anyone?

Is the new Slaters place any better than the one they opened in Wolvo?

Slaters is ok, not mad keen on the beer and it still feel like a shop.

Best is the Sun imo, titanic pub but they have lagunitas IPA on draft. The Shrew & Bird in Hand (both Black Country ales pubs) are good, as is the little micropub floodgate. Market Vaults is good, but more for live music of a weekend.
Grapes is good for a late drink, beer is shit though.

Cheers boss. Keep meaning to check out the Sun, so will probably head there. Titanic's beers are usually pretty solid.

They're ok - I like the plum porter, but the other choices are a bit samey. MAP is pretty good tho. I usually have at least one Lagunitas, but it is very strong for a pint..

They do have Punk on draft in the Wetherspoons too....

Just seen that Floodgate and the Sun are pretty close to eachother, and on the right side of town to get back to Em's folks house easily. Job done :D

Stafford's small, all the pubs are close together! Just avoid the coach over the road from the floodgate.

Collected my three free beers off honestbrew. Got them in the post yesterday -

1 x Lumepimedus White IPA - 6.5% - Puhaste
1 x Pale Ale - 5.1% - The Garden Brewery
1 x Broken Dream Stout - 6% - Siren

Along with the Honestbrew bar blade & branded glass.

Added the following to make up the order -

1 x High Tor Red IPA - 6.3% - Buxton
1 x The Fixer Hoppy Red Ale - 5.5% - O'Brother
1 x Sleepless Amber Ale - 5.4% - Redwillow
1 x Hop Hand Fallacy - Lost & Grounded
1 x Pfaff Belgium Pale Ale - 5.2% - Pressure Drop
1 x Tannenzapfle Pilsner - 5.1% - Rothaus
1 x Eternal Session IPA - 4.1% - Northern Monk

Had the Redwillow amber ale last night which was phenomenal.

Anyone had much from Harpoon before? Mate gave me a box of beers he didn’t want, seems to be Boston themed so a load from them.

Had a cracking beer last night. Northern Monk Patrons Project 10.04. was a lime Berliner weisse with coffee beans.

Total contrast to Gloucester brewerys No Coffee No Workee which was one of the worst beers I've ever had and couldn't even give it away in the Royal London!

Back