• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Royal London in town has closed and is relaunching on the 28th as a 'craft' place (their words, not mine).

Pretty much anything will be an improvement on what it was, incredibly tatty - the decor hadnt been updated since at least 2003 and it didn't look that swish even then - and overpriced for no good reason.

Presumably it will still be a student haunt, so it'll be 'interesting' to see how they combine that with a craft offering.

Used to LOVE the Royal London in my pomp though.

Me too. It was always the place where we met up and started our Friday/Saturday nights.

I think I went in there nearly every weekend between 2003-2005!

Same here - I was just trying to think which years, but my memory is terrible. I think it would have been 1999 onwards for about 5 years!

Yep. Pool tables round the back.

Same here - I was just trying to think which years, but my memory is terrible. I think it would have been 1999 onwards for about 5 years!

You would have though that I would have ran into you before joining this forum. It seems we drank in the same places at the same time and where both in local bands (although it seems that yours was considerably better than the drunken shambles I was in) that I presume would have played the same sort of venues!

Friday nights were always Royal London/Little Civic/Light Bar and Saturday nights were Royal London/Little Civic/Blast Off. With a few drinks in the Varsity usually fitted in there somewhere along the way.

I was gutted when my student card at the Royal London ran out though. It annoyed me to pay full price!

Yeah, that's pretty much how my weekends panned out too! What was your band called??

The Soundtrack (not my choice of name).

We weren't great but played pretty regularly as they'll let any old shite play gigs in Wolverhampton. Especially at the Varsity & Little Civic!

Doesn't ring a bell I'm afraid, but we only started gigging in 2007 I think.

Used to go in there quite a lot too, as with you two it was the usual place to go before Light Bar, Blast Off or Planet.

It's a nice old building to be fair so the potential is there to turn it into somewhere attractive but probably cost a fair bit to do as it just seemed to be in constant decline since I first went there regularly.

I first kissed my missus on the steps up to the bogs #oldromantic #memories

Presumably it will still be a student haunt, so it'll be 'interesting' to see how they combine that with a craft offering.

There really isn't much of a student scene in town these days (if there ever was one), you rarely see groups of them out in the pubs. Kids these days don't understand how to have any fun.

Like Mark says, the building itself is a good one and a big glass front like that can be an attractive feature if you do it right. Just turning it into a place I might want to go occasionally will do.

I liked the Varsity a lot as a pub, the service in there was deplorable at times though. Only a notch above the Moon (which should I ever find any place to submit nominations for the worst service in Western Europe, I'll be putting forward, I hate that place).

There really isn't much of a student scene in town these days (if there ever was one), you rarely see groups of them out in the pubs. Kids these days don't understand how to have any fun.

Like Mark says, the building itself is a good one and a big glass front like that can be an attractive feature if you do it right. Just turning it into a place I might want to go occasionally will do.

I liked the Varsity a lot as a pub, the service in there was deplorable at times though. Only a notch above the Moon (which should I ever find any place to submit nominations for the worst service in Western Europe, I'll be putting forward, I hate that place).

Ah fair enough, I never go out in town these days (read the past 10 years) so wouldn't really know.

Hope it can compete with Slaters and provide a proper craft offering and actually promote themselves properly as a beer venue.

Back