• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

I'm clearly choosing the wrong places. Except Tilt. That's wank.

Only been in Slaters the once & as that was on a Wolves day, tends to be a session so avoided the higher ABV ones so as not to get lost going back to the hotel (done that once & I do learn from my mistakes!)

Wouldn't object to trying some though would need it to be a better drink at that price - somehow didn't feel like being in a pub though - more a wine bar with the wrong drink.

As to going in on my own, have no real problem with that - if I need to shop then will go to Salisbury. Lunch tends to be in a pub (the Ox Row or The Cloisters are good apart from the Ox Row's mania for serving food on tiles or lumps of wood) as apart from that there are only restaurents which I'm not going to want to pay the price for or fast food outlets which aren't really my thing. A pint, bit of food & the paper & I'm fine plus always a chance that someone I know comes in anyway.

I had a pint of that earlier. It was on poor form. However it's usually ok.

1/3 less liquid, yes, but at 7.5% it'd be more satisfying and the all round experiance of that one drink would be worth the extra £1. What does more liquid give you apart from a fuller bladder? :D

Drinking pace is an interesting point. I wouldn't be able to hack a full-on session on high abv craft beer - 4 or 5 in a night maybe, so I'm not sure it's a viable comparison to make. I think I've said in this thread before that drinking culture would need to change in Wolves before craft beer takes over!

I would urge you to try a few keg IPAs - they are hugely a different drink to cask bitters. Also, as a cider man you'd probably like some of the sour beers and saisons knocking around too :D

I'm open to trying stuff, the issue is at that price it's a real shitter if you pick something you don't like.

I'd be surprised if the kind of culture and scene you envision ever actually came to fruition in Wolverhampton. That said, we should sort something out over the summer, I'll have a pop at sampling some so long as I'm not doing it on my own and doing an approximation of Mick McCarthy trying to sign a centre half. :)

Yeah definitely up for something over the summer.

Surprised at what Langers said about tasters in craft beer bars, certainly not the case from my experience. They're usually run by beer geeks who relish in the chance to waffle on about what they're serving. Not the case in Slaters as it's run by one of the family who doesn't come across as that type, but they've always offered samples. Sometimes even when not asked.

They do a sampling pallet in my local in Codsall (the Joule's place) - could start off there by all means. Clearly I'm never going to order it on my own! Then it's an eight minute train ride to town.

Not the first time I've mentioned this, but the Wollaston to Stourbridge road is a brilliant pub crawl. Combine it with the rugby at Stourbridge RFC and it's a cracking day out. The route back:

Rugby Club - various guests, always Enville available
Forresters - Enville
Plough - Hobsons Town Crier + guests (they often have Trooper on)
Unicorn - Bathams
Graham's Place - loads of guests
Katie Fitzgeralds - varies, great for live music
Royal Exchange - Bathams
Duke William - Craddocks + guests

There are a few excellent curry houses in Wollaston as well should sustenance be required.

Cheers for the recap again. I'll get round to doing a trip this side of Christmas....if I'm lucky!

That Troubadour Magma is tough going, once was enough for me.

You ever tried their 1845 Frank?

Latest Honest Brew order. Don't know why I ordered yet as I've still got a load of Punk, Jack Hammer, Elvis Juice and some Born to Die left.

Buxton - Axe Edge - IPA 6.8% 4
Weird Beard - Out of Office - Coffee IPA 7% 1
Yeastie Boys - Gunnamatta - IPA 6.5% 1
Magic Rock - Cannonball - IPA 7.2% 1
Magic Rock - High Wire Grapefruit - Pale Ale 5.5% 1
Magic Rock - Rapture - Red Hop Ale 4.6% 1
Buxton - King Maker - Double IPA 10.5% 1
Buxton - High Tor - India Red Ale 6.3% 2
Buxton - Imperial Black IPA 7.5% 2

Magic Rock Cannonball is very good. Their Unhuman Cannonball is brilliant if you get the chance.

I'm not overly keen on the Out of Office. Not my cup of coffee really.

King Maker is a very good DIPA.

Interested in that High Tor, Boozad. Let me know how it is...

I think you'll like the King Maker. Big and boozy with a fuck-ton of sorachi ace, which Weird Beard use in a lot of their beers, I believe.

No I don't think so. Is it nice?

Yeah, like a London Pride on steroids! More depth of flavour and well worth a try. A bit stronger so not one to have an afternoon session on perhaps. Not seen it on tap very often though, probably would have to be a Fullers pub.

Back