• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2024 General Election Thread

Who did you Vote For

• Labour

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Tory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Green

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Farage Ltd

• Serious Independent

• Plaid Cymru

• SNP

• One of the Niron ones

• Count Binface

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mr Baked Bean Face

• Other Strange Party/Independent

• Total voters
2024's Jared O'Mara by the look of it.

Unfortunately you aren't going to find 650 brilliant candidates, not that it makes it any easier to stomach and definitely not a good look if he's being actively promoted by the top end of the party.

Not going to move the needle though is it. If he stood in SW Wolves I wouldn't vote for him but I don't have to make that choice so I'll carry on as I was going to.

Daily Mail getting fully stuck into their Election coverage and throwing their full support behind Rishi....oh no, apologies today that have gone another vital story we all need answers for - Lord Lucan

View attachment 10541
Lord Lucan, vaccines and Kate tomorrow. They must have given up on the election.
I suppose that they don’t want to go in hard on how badly Diane Abbott has been treated.

2024's Jared O'Mara by the look of it.

Unfortunately you aren't going to find 650 brilliant candidates, not that it makes it any easier to stomach and definitely not a good look if he's being actively promoted by the top end of the party.

Not going to move the needle though is it. If he stood in SW Wolves I wouldn't vote for him but I don't have to make that choice so I'll carry on as I was going to.
Before his behaviour came to light O'Mara's only notable contributions to British politics were a) taking Clegg's seat, and b) getting Parliament's dress code relaxed so that ties were no longer mandatory for men. He was a candidate selected without due diligence during a similar pre-snap election rush (as is Labour tradition), but he wasn't anybody actually important.

Akehurst isn't backed by the top end of the party, he is the top end of the party - as an NEC member he's one of the people actually making the choice of what makes a "brilliant" candidate. He's a mendacious, terminally online weirdo who's spent the last 25 years blogging and posting his way to this moment, where he can play a key part in massively reshaping the party in his image.

The better comparison isn't O'Mara - it's probably someone more like Dominic Cummings in 2019, when Johnson kicked out loads of MPs for not supporting his Brexit deal and picked a bunch of fellow cranks for those red wall seats. And we all know how that worked out...

This culture of privately educated professional politicians telling us what do has got to stop - Rishi, Johnson, Cameron, Corbyn, Milliband, etc, etc. Fuck them all off - baffles me that Tories seems to point to Starmer as having a successful career before being an MP as a bad thing.

Andy Holt is an arse, he put ticket prices up for both home and away supporters when they played Wrexham. Jeff would love him
Yep, complete wanker. Another 'man of the people' type prick.

Aaron Bell not standing in Newcastle under Lyme. One of the few Tories who had the backbone to call out Johnson for what he was.

The VAT for private schools really has got them rattled? How can anyone suggest private education isn't a luxury?

I wonder if Jeff Shi votes/would vote Tory?

Roughly half of British journalists went to private schools, and that also skews towards the top end (ie editors are more likely to have gone than reporters, partly due to in-clique selection but also because it's a sector that pays terribly and those without family wealth to fall back on often can't make it work long-term).

One of those areas where newspapers/magazines, even the left ones, let their pretense of objectivity slip. (Much less important, but one of my favourites of these is the Guardian's obsession with wild swimming, something which most people couldn't give two shits about but which is unsurprisingly more popular among middle-aged women who happen to live near Hampstead Ladies' Pond.)

Diane Abbott will stand for the Labour Party.

That's a 3 day complete feck up by those running the party.

Think it was inevitable really. Simply not worth the negative headlines for the sake of one seat, especially when by all accounts she wants to retire soon anyway.

Bigger issue for Starmer is who keeps doing these nasty off-the-record factional briefings that keep undermining the whole "we're a united party again" front. (Of course the answer to that is "the coterie of Labour rightists like Luke Akehurst in LOTO and on the NEC who think anyone to the left of Harold Wilson is a dangerous communist who needs drumming out of British politics and public life at any cost," so not expecting much to change there.)

What a complete clusterfuck.

And if the investigation was done in December then why not just deal with it all then? If you actually want her desselected then do it in December so it'll be forgotten by the New Year, rather than backing yourself into a corner of carnage 3 days into an actual election campaign.

Staggers me how many politicians are absolutely shit at forward planning and managing optics.

This culture of privately educated professional politicians telling us what do has got to stop - Rishi, Johnson, Cameron, Corbyn, Milliband, etc, etc. Fuck them all off - baffles me that Tories seems to point to Starmer as having a successful career before being an MP as a bad thing.
While I agree with the premise of your post, it is actually hilarious that you lump Corbyn in with the rest of them. He went to Adams' Grammar in Newport as a day pupil, which meant he went there because he passed the 11 plus, and was not fee paying. That was my school, and I am very definitely not privately educated. He then went to a technical college in North London. What an entitled bastard.

I suppose you could count the school he went to up until the age of 11 which was a prep school, but I'm pretty sure that it had very little influence on his political career. Not sure what they taught 7 year olds there though, so I guess you could count it the same as Eton. 🙄🙄

Aaron Bell not standing in Newcastle under Lyme. One of the few Tories who had the backbone to call out Johnson for what he was.
That's very strange as I had his literature through on Tuesday this week.

While I agree with the premise of your post, it is actually hilarious that you lump Corbyn in with the rest of them. He went to Adams' Grammar in Newport as a day pupil, which meant he went there because he passed the 11 plus, and was not fee paying. That was my school, and I am very definitely not privately educated. He then went to a technical college in North London. What an entitled bastard.

I suppose you could count the school he went to up until the age of 11 which was a prep school, but I'm pretty sure that it had very little influence on his political career. Not sure what they taught 7 year olds there though, so I guess you could count it the same as Eton. 🙄🙄
Yep. I'm not a Corbin fan and dislike his politics but he's certainly not from a really rich background. Think his parents were a teacher and an engineer, so while not impoverished they weren't mega rich or from a particularly wealthy background.
After the Adams grammar Corbin worked on the local rag for a couple of years, then went to teach somehere abroad (can't remember where).
He did go to Castle House, a private prep school but to be honest I know a few people who send their kids there, none of them rich twats, in fact one is a pub landlord and one is a plumber.
I think it's a barmy waste of money sending their offspring to a private school but they obviously think otherwise and are prepared to go without stuff to do so.

Still don't like Corbin though, he's a prick despite his upbringing rather than because of it.

Yep. I'm not a Corbin fan and dislike his politics but he's certainly not from a really rich background. Think his parents were a teacher and an engineer, so while not impoverished they weren't mega rich or from a particularly wealthy background.
After the Adams grammar Corbin worked on the local rag for a couple of years, then went to teach somehere abroad (can't remember where).
He did go to Castle House, a private prep school but to be honest I know a few people who send their kids there, none of them rich twats, in fact one is a pub landlord and one is a plumber.
I think it's a barmy waste of money sending their offspring to a private school but they obviously think otherwise and are prepared to go without stuff to do so.

Still don't like Corbin though, he's a prick despite his upbringing rather than because of it.
His Mum taught me Chemistry at King Edwards in Stafford. She was previously at the
Stafford Girls High School which merged with the boy’s Grammar School. Lovely lady who struggled to cope with mixed sex classes and retired a year after the merger.

I see Piers Morgan has done a flip back away from right wing populism now the writings on the wall.

Back