• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Newport league Cup verdict thread (at last a win in this competition)

Forest out to Walsall, Bristol City out to Luton.

Doherty selected for his excellent pre season...but played out of position?

The usual honest assessment from the gaffer.

What were the problems with RvLP in pre season?

Don't know but he obviously wasn't happy with him.

Just seen the highlights. Coady seems to be involved in just about everything.

Pleasing signs of a partnership between the front two continue

I'm not convinced by Golbourne whatsoever

No issue with a slight experimentation in Doherty either and don't get the hysterics from some fans across the platforms for doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were the problems with RvLP in pre season?

Injury? Attitude? Performance?

Could be any of the above. I recall an interview with VLP on the official website when Sako left where KJ had gone to him and said we need someone to fill that space left by Bakary and he wanted that to be VLP. It's quite possible KJ didn't get enough from him leading on from there and has left him out as a sort of punishment.

I for one would have been seething in VLP shoes last night. I mean Matt Doherty ahead of him FFS.

I for one would have been seething in VLP shoes last night. I mean Matt Doherty ahead of him FFS.

Somethings hurt more than a verbal bollocking. KJ certainly made his point! Be interesting to see how he reacts. Hopefully head down and put the work in rather than sit in the corner and act like Deutsch would if Doherty was named Captain of Wolves and guaranteed to start to every game.....

Could be make or break for VLP with Wolves couldn't it? Thought KJ went out of his way to praise him in the interview, but you can't get a bigger public bollocking than seeing Doherty preferred. You have to hand it to Kenny, he makes his displeasure known, irrespective of who the player is. VLP will also have competition from Jed Wallace when he's fit, so he needs to pull his finger out sharpish. Just wonder if he came back overweight after the summer or something like that?

No issue with a slight experimentation in Doherty either and don't get the hysterics from some fans across the platforms for doing so.

Personally, I'd have started Doherty at RB last night. But not in midfield - he's as wasted there as Golbourne was on the left side when Jackett played him there in the JPT a couple of years ago. He's simply not a midfielder.

Usually, the name 'Doherty' on the teamsheet starts an unwarranted t'interweb spazzout but a league cup game seems to me to be the ideal time to give a right sided midfielder a go in the team. Not a full back.

I think KJ did it to prove a point that we have very little starting right mids and that he needs one. He's done it twice now, but we did sign Ojo very swiftly after that, maybe hope for similar this time around?

I think KJ did it to prove a point that we have very little starting right mids and that he needs one. He's done it twice now, but we did sign Ojo very swiftly after that, maybe hope for similar this time around?

Jota?

Eh?

We've got Henry and RVLP, and there are also other players who can play there in case of injury (Edwards, Dicko, and now Doherty apparently). On the left, sure, we could maybe use another player as direct competition to Ojo, but there's no way there's a shortage of bodies for the right.

There's a shortage of good bodies on the right. KJ has an issue with RvlP and Henry to Charlton clearly had legs so that leaves all the square pegs in round holes. Hence Doherty playing there, it's an extreme case but nevertheless a possibility.

Doherty last night was painful to watch. Drifted all over the place and made Iorfa look out of sorts at the back.

We didn't offer much out wide, especially on the right side until Rajiv came on and had a few little touches. I would have like to have seen him get some more game time last night.

The keeper looked very shaky but kind of understandable as he probably hadn't even unpacked from signing for us! Sign here lad you're playing tonight...

It was a very disjointed performance last night against very limited opposition. The central defence pairing were very unsure of themselves with Ebanks-Landell particularly lacking composure. Neither of the full backs offered any real quality going forward, Iorfa got into advanced positions but too often let himself down with the final ball.

The midfield two of Coady and Price were tidy without offering any real attacking threat - somehow Coady got the man of the match award which I can't understand.

Doherty isn't a midfielder.

Ojo showed some flashes of his ability and is clearly a player capable of running at defences buy he was more out of the game than in.

Dicko scored a nice goal and seems to be working well with Afobe but he wasted some good opportunities by not passing the ball.

For me, Afobe was man of the match. Always busy, coming deep to collect the ball and generally being at the heart of anything good going forward.

Le Fondre was busy when he came on and took up some good positions. A simple pass late on would have let him score, but that simple pass (Dicko) wasn't made.

Not much to report on the new GK. Claimed a few crosses but very little to do otherwise.

Shows there is still work to do on strengthening the squad.

That partnership was pretty crap last night. Sadly for me Dicko wanted to do everything and rarely passed the ball.. One game yes so no hardships.

Yet the penalty was won as a result of this

I do agree Dicko has greed issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back