• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 Bristol City 2 Boxing Day verdict thread

I don't think Batth does anything massively wrong on that first goal yesterday but it still highlights massive weaknesses in his game.

The Bristol forward hasn't really had to do anything differently to beat him than if he'd just been played clean through with no defenders near him such was the lack of influence from Batth, he's just chested it down into his path and then hit it as if it was a training drill. Batth and Stearman are in a reasonable enough starting position when the ball comes forward, though they are the opposite way round to how I'd normally expect them to be, but the former just hasn't the mobility to get across and cut the ball out before it reaches the forward and then over commits to correct the issue, the lack of mobility then comes back to bite him in the arse as soon the ball comes back across him and he ends up on the deck out of the game.

Maybe if the forward had taken another touch before shooting Stearman could've got across to cover but taking it early took him out of the equation and Ikeme just guessed so a pretty poor finish down the centre of the goal went straight past him, maybe if Stearman/Batth had been the other way round to begin with Stears would've been able to make up the couple of extra yards to cut the pass out before it reached the forward.

I couldn't tell you what is said on both of those during the majority of games so you will have to fill me in, i would also say most of those comments will come from those that haven't seen the game so generally aren't worth looking at unless they have seen what has actually happened. From those that see us regularly i would say a lot of fans do not think Danny is good enough and his performances this season have backed that up. Like i said he's been at fault far too many times yet it's always his partner that seems to be the one who suffers.

I think everyone would love it if the local lad who is captain was good enough but at the moment he really isn't in any area of his game.
I'm not saying he's been playing well or suggesting he hasn't been at fault for an unacceptable number of goals this season. As a result I want to see him replaced.

I just really can't stand the levels of abuse he receives for absolutely anything - even stuff he's not at fault for. I know it's standard football fan hyperbole but still, I don't like it.

The goals for those who live in a land far, far away...Or just those that want to glory in our defending

There were a group behind me who pretty much went through the whole squad slagging them off over the course of the game.

Having never seen them before hopefully it was just their annual Christmas game and they don't turn up again.

There was an old guy behind me in the first half calling Cavaleiro a "waste of £7m" and a "foreign tosser".

Their first goal was a terrific pass and finish, yes you can be critical of our defending but I think thats being a bit churlish, you could point the finger at Ikeme, Batth, Stearman and even Price who was turned very easily on the half way line but sometimes you just have to give credit to the attack....their second was terrible defending from us no question.
I'd much rather talk about our second goal, fantastic build up from midfield, a lovely pinpoint cross from Coady (who apparently is woeful on the ball) and a sublime finish. The pass from Doherty and flick from Mason for the pen were lovely football. I'm starting to wonder (please don't shoot me) if Doherty can be a playmaker in midfield, he has been involved on some very good moves recently.

There's definitely nothing special about the finish on the first, it's straight down the middle of the goal! Ikeme just guesses and goes way too early so it beats him easily.

It was a good first touch from Abraham but Batth falls on his arse far too easily.

I don't think Batth does anything massively wrong on that first goal yesterday but it still highlights massive weaknesses in his game.

The Bristol forward hasn't really had to do anything differently to beat him than if he'd just been played clean through with no defenders near him such was the lack of influence from Batth, he's just chested it down into his path and then hit it as if it was a training drill. Batth and Stearman are in a reasonable enough starting position when the ball comes forward, though they are the opposite way round to how I'd normally expect them to be, but the former just hasn't the mobility to get across and cut the ball out before it reaches the forward and then over commits to correct the issue, the lack of mobility then comes back to bite him in the arse as soon the ball comes back across him and he ends up on the deck out of the game.

Maybe if the forward had taken another touch before shooting Stearman could've got across to cover but taking it early took him out of the equation and Ikeme just guessed so a pretty poor finish down the centre of the goal went straight past him, maybe if Stearman/Batth had been the other way round to begin with Stears would've been able to make up the couple of extra yards to cut the pass out before it reached the forward.

I think you may have Stears and Coady mixed up. And Stears is caught in no man's land after Price is rolled.

I think you may have Stears and Coady mixed up. And Stears is caught in no man's land after Price is rolled.

So I have, completely missed Stearman caught in no mans land between the two Bristol forwards so just assumed he was the other defender in the centre, probably explains the poor cover after Batth has sold himself then as Coady isn't a proper fullback.

Their first goal was a terrific pass and finish, yes you can be critical of our defending but I think thats being a bit churlish, you could point the finger at Ikeme, Batth, Stearman and even Price who was turned very easily on the half way line but sometimes you just have to give credit to the attack....their second was terrible defending from us no question.
I'd much rather talk about our second goal, fantastic build up from midfield, a lovely pinpoint cross from Coady (who apparently is woeful on the ball) and a sublime finish. The pass from Doherty and flick from Mason for the pen were lovely football. I'm starting to wonder (please don't shoot me) if Doherty can be a playmaker in midfield, he has been involved on some very good moves recently.

I think you are spot on here. I have only seen the highlights but the goals all looked like they were cracking bits of play bar Brizzle's 2nd. We do need some perspective here and both Slink and I have said Doherty could play CM so there's 3 of us who are nuts.

Batth is massively lacking in agility. It was similar to the goal we conceded at Huddersfield where he also ended up on his arse. Nothing will change as he is at the lumbering end of the scale of agility and you can either accept that he will always be a liability in such situations or do something about it! Abraham may well have scored against a better CH but Batth undoubtedly made it easy for him. The second was far worse - Flint is Bristol’s known threat from set pieces and to just stand there and watch was dreadful. Again even if he’d made a challenge Flint may have still scored but there’s no excuse for making it so easy for him.

Hopefully a CH is lined up for 3 January when the window opens, we can wait a little longer for a CM and CF!

My first live game in over a year and I'm pleased I was there. The main highlight was the fluidity and potency of our attacking play which has enough to destroy any defence in the division, something we've proved several times this season. Helder Costa is among the very best players in the league and if we can marshall the undoubted raw talent of Bright along with the ability of Cavaleiro in this system then we'll see plenty more goals.

That defence, though. We always knew that Danny Batth had his limitations but this season has pushed them to the fore. Maybe having to deal with the responsibility of being the senior figure at the back most of the time has affected him or maybe he just isn't very good. One thing that is for certain is that he loses his man far too often, something demonstrated with the criminally easy header made available to Flint for their second yesterday. He also isn't very good at staying on his feet as we saw for the first goal. To add to this, Coady isn't a full-back (although it speaks volumes that he has been a marked improvement on Iorfa) and Doherty should probably be playing midfield, if anywhere.

We're a certain bet on the BTTS coupon anyway.

Player ratings;

Ikeme - Not much he could do for the first goal but the second highlighted his lack of aerial dominance that has long been a problem of his. I don't care how tall Flint is, he'd be nowhere near it if Ikeme does his job and comes out to collect it. 6.

Coady - A superb cross for Costa's volley but his positioning isn't that of a full-back and he gets caught out far too often. If only we could get the old Iorfa back. 6.

Batth - He's struggling big time and probably needs a spell on the sidelines. He doesn't appear to be exerting any influence over the defence and he always looks like he's a moment away from an error. 5.

Stearman - Our best player defensively and had a decent game yesterday. Much more comfortable with the ball at his feet than Batth and he treated us to a couple of his darting runs yesterday. I wonder if he and Williamson could form a partnership. 7.

Doherty - Again, much better at going forward than defending. A superb pass for the penalty incident and he threatened to score one of his specials on a couple of occasions. Not the long-term solution to our left-back problem, though. 6.

Price - It's no coincidence that our form improves when he's in the team. Never wastes the ball and is always looking for someone in space. I thought Lambert would like him and it looks like he's going to be a key part of our midfield this season. 7.

Edwards - Again, limited ability on the ball (that'll never change) but he's such a threat from set-pieces. Deserves his place for his work rate (yes I know, but it is impressive) and his current purple patch of goals. Can he keep it up?

Costa - MOTM. Just so threatening when he has the ball. More direct than Cavaleiro, just wants to get a cross or shot in ASAP whenever he's attacking down the wing and his finish, as well as his corner for the opener, was sublime. A wonderful player. 9.

Cavaleiro - I've got a feeling he'll be this season's Jordan Graham.(minus the injury, hopefully) Left out of the starting line-up for way too long before proving his talent after a decent run of games. His scoring rate is impressive and I don't care if he can be lazy (as Lambert hinted a while ago) the lad dances past defenders for fun. With a bit more work on his end product he'll be a big player for us. 8.

Bright - Some of the comments towards him have been a bit harsh IMO. So composed on the ball for a kid and was involved in most of our attacking play. I think he could be very dangerous in the number 10 role. 7.

Dicko - Struggled again but got himself about. Struggled with their deep line of defence, he loves space to run in behind the defence and didn't really get that yesterday. It might be time to start Bodvarsson on Saturday. 6.

Subs:

Mason - Lovely turn to win the penalty and, as someone else said, a useful option from the bench.

Bodvarsson - Definitely better at getting the ball to stick up front and I'd like to see him given a start soon.

Batth is massively lacking in agility. It was similar to the goal we conceded at Huddersfield where he also ended up on his arse. Nothing will change as he is at the lumbering end of the scale of agility and you can either accept that he will always be a liability in such situations or do something about it! Abraham may well have scored against a better CH but Batth undoubtedly made it easy for him.
Guessing many a manager now have this worked out. Lump the ball to your centre forward, turn Batth leaving him on his arse then score.

Guessing many a manager now have this worked out. Lump the ball to your centre forward, turn Batth leaving him on his arse then score.

It's funny that in all this hysteria about our defence, nobody has acknowledged what a brilliant two man goal line clearance it was by Stearman and Doherty.

It's funny that in all this hysteria about our defence, nobody has acknowledged what a brilliant two man goal line clearance it was by Stearman and Doherty.

You do realise that it's a bad thing this had to happen?

Doherty is not the answer at left back, but does look good going forward with the ball, as he is not going to get dropped,why not ,as been
suggested play him further forward in the middle,(out of harms way) problem ! instead of who ?

I think for Abrahams goal Baath could have dealt with it as the ball came across him. saying that though it was a very good goal and Stearman had the best view of what was unfolding.

Batth may win 30 headers a game but you know that he will miss the one in the six yard box that should be bread and butter and the opposition will score. He will also miss the one tackle in the centre of the goal that is bog standard. He may well have blocked and tacked far harder efforts in the match. Thats the frustrating thing. He gets the simple stuff wrong to often to be considered a long term quality/class defender. Its his concentration. If he had a real leader beside or behind him cajoling him , constantly in his ear, reminding him of his responsibilities that would improve him I believe. He is limited but silly errors can be removed.
I never played to that standard but my defenders absolutely hated it if I didnt keep yap yap yapping at them all game. They then knew where they were, if they had missed a player or a run and at corners crosses they knew if I was coming or if I was staying. As such we were a tight defensive unit of limited ability whose performance was better than the sum of its individual parts. That is what we need to be defensively too and to do that needs better leadership at CB or GK

Back