• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 Bristol City 2 Boxing Day verdict thread

I sit behind north bank goal, and it certainly was a heart in mouth moment for Stear's clearance, didn't look fully over. Where the hell did that 5 minutes come from as well? I didn't notice that much stoppage time, anyway was great to win. We desperately need to start capitalising on good momentum, taking the lead and not finishing the job cost us against Fulham and nearly again today.

Makes zero sense though - we're losing him for a month so let's make that worse by leaving him out for even longer than we have to

This. I want Lambert to stop talking Saunders-esque crap. It looks like he's bombed him out along with Tex and I wish they'd just be honest and say the pair are leaving, it isn't like the ACON has just been planted into the schedule, this was known all season.

I would say we've seen the last of Saiss and Tex in a Wolves shirt.

This. I want Lambert to stop talking Saunders-esque crap. It looks like he's bombed him out along with Tex and I wish they'd just be honest and say the pair are leaving, it isn't like the ACON has just been planted into the schedule, this was known all season.

We bought Saiss didn't we? I really can't see him leaving so soon, I'd imagine Lambert is more leaving him out due to lack of English and wanting more 'leadership' on the pitch.

Nah - he's been playing in the side regularly. It's not a CBJ situation - Saiss will be back.

Tex I'm not so sure about but I don't think we have any other players who can do what Saiss does so he won't be going anywhere. Except the ACN obvs.

Pleased that we're picking up points under Lambert which has steadied us as we approach the transfer window. Let's get some defenders in and stabilise the side a bit. We've clearly got some quality in the squad already but we're a long way from where Lambert wants us IMO.

I hope you're both right but the pessimist in me says something is wrong.

However, reading Banjo and Slink's report it sounds as if we are one ball playing (Tom Cairney, Conor Hourihane?) type of player away from a quality midfield and a decent CB away from at least being competitive for a play-off place next season (assuming we get Costa for another season).

My minimum target for December was 9 points so 10 with a home game to come against QPR is fine. Clearly there are plenty of signs of progress and for me the telling comment was Lambert's "still a million miles away."

Nah - he's been playing in the side regularly. It's not a CBJ situation - Saiss will be back.

Tex I'm not so sure about but I don't think we have any other players who can do what Saiss does so he won't be going anywhere. Except the ACN obvs.

Pleased that we're picking up points under Lambert which has steadied us as we approach the transfer window. Let's get some defenders in and stabilise the side a bit. We've clearly got some quality in the squad already but we're a long way from where Lambert wants us IMO.

Lambert's reason for not playing Saiss is nonsense. I mean, you don't drop a guy before he goes off, any more than you don't drop a guy before he starts a three match suspension.

Tex is on his way, in my opinion. Too lightweight for the Championship, and we are giving Bright a chance too.

Looked at the goal on tv again. I never thought it was over when Stearman cleared it, thought it was when Doherty headed it from behind the line.

However looking back on TV Doherty clearly heads it in front of the line so I don't think it was a goal

I hope you're both right but the pessimist in me says something is wrong.

However, reading Banjo and Slink's report it sounds as if we are one ball playing (Tom Cairney, Conor Hourihane?) type of player away from a quality midfield and a decent CB away from at least being competitive for a play-off place next season (assuming we get Costa for another season).
I think a fuckload is wrong but I don't personally think there's any issue with PL not rating Saiss.

The defence is so bad we now have to score at least 3 goals a game and we're relying on the Portuguese lads and Dave Edwards to get these goals as a striker hasn't scored for us since August. It speaks volumes when so many people are desperate for Williamson to return when he's not played for 12 months and had been all but written off. (I don't disagree with them BTW - we need someone with an ounce of composure and common sense in the back line immediately).

I think Lambert needs some time to stamp his authority on the squad and I'm really hoping we're much more solid after 31st January. Even then I don't think we'll be exactly where he wants us but a few recent results have at least patched up the punctures whilst we limp slowly to the garage.

I think January is a bigger month for Thelwell's position than it is for Lambert's. If he doesn't procure a striker and CB and comes out with Moxey-lite comments he's in big trouble.

Their manager was remonstrating with the ref whilst wearing driver gloves. For this he cannot be taken seriously.

I worry Saiss will be off the reason for him not playing is bizarre. Agree on Tex I think he's just not suited to the league, which is a massive shame as he has bags of talent. If Saiss goes but we sign someone then fair enough at the moment I still think he is the best midfielder we have and I'm desperate to see him and Price in the same side dictating play.

Williamson by his own admission is miles off so late January early Feb maybe we will see him but I am hopeful we will have secured a decent experienced CB by then so we can drop Batth.

If we sign a striker I would consider loaning Dicko he needs game time but at the moment I think Bod and Mason/Bright is the better option.

Feeling a lot more positive now I think we are 2/3 key signings away from a decent side.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Agree on Tex I think he's just not suited to the league, which is a massive shame as he has bags of talent.QUOTE]

I don't think he is any less suited or weaker than Forestieri who is one of the best players in the league with time to adapt and experience, in the correct side could be as effective. What he lacks is a midfield that can give him the ball in the right areas and keep it solid enough behind him that we can push him as high up the pitch as he needs to be to do damage.

I do agree he will go back and with the current deficiencies around him we probably cannot afford to play him, but don't think it's his fault that that is happening.

We have been banging on about it for at least two years but the lack of command and leadership at the back is what is costing us goals IMHO. I remember Williamson coming in and talk talk talking to Scott Goldbourne whose form improved.A centre back and a keeper who do that organising and commanding would more than compensate for errors they make. Hansen and Grobbelaar come to mind.Seaman and Adams Schmiechal and. Stam . Now they are greats and you won't get that quality in the championship but its the type that I am exampling. An average cb and average goalkeeper who both lead and command would be an improvement all round and would take some pressure off the midfield

Agree on Tex I think he's just not suited to the league, which is a massive shame as he has bags of talent.QUOTE]

I don't think he is any less suited or weaker than Forestieri who is one of the best players in the league and in time in the correct side could be as effective. What he lacks is a midfield that can give him the ball in the right areas and keep it solid enough behind him that we can push him as high up the pitch as he needs to be to do damage.

I do agree he will go back and with the current deficiencies around him we probably cannot afford to play him, but don't think it's his fault that that is happening.
Not to labour the point but perhaps if he has Price and Saiss behind him it could work. Agree it's more of a balance issue and we can always play him WF if Costa or Cav get injured it's just every time we have played him in CM he has looked out of his depth yet that is where we need him most.

We shall see but I think he will be off.

Not to labour the point but perhaps if he has Price and Saiss behind him it could work. Agree it's more of a balance issue and we can always play him WF if Costa or Cav get injured it's just every time we have played him in CM he has looked out of his depth yet that is where we need him most.

We shall see but I think he will be off.

Personally I don't think we have the midfield players in the squad to play an out and out creative 10 like Tex could be. For me that would be either/or Price/Saiss alongside a proper box to box midfield player like Edwards and Coady are supposed to be but aren't and looks like Prince isn't either.

Unlike many I don't think Saiss and Price alongside each other are the answer we are looking for at the moment as I think we'd be too deep, whilst Edwards is in one of his purple patches he needs to play, unless we sign somebody better or until he stops scoring as history says he will.

Personally I don't think we have the midfield players in the squad to play an out and out creative 10 like Tex could be. For me that would be either/or Price/Saiss alongside a proper box to box midfield player like Edwards and Coady are supposed to be but aren't and looks like Prince isn't either.

Unlike many I don't think Saiss and Price alongside each other are the answer we are looking for at the moment as I think we'd be too deep, whilst Edwards is in one of his purple patches he needs to play, unless we sign somebody better or until he stops scoring as history says he will.
I still hope Prince will come good we do need a decent box to box midfielder.

Next month will be very interesting can't wait.

Anyone have a clip of the goal line incident? Can't seem to find one, and it doesn't appear on the Sky highlights.

If Lambert is saying to Saiss, watch Jack Price, then fine - but for all the ability Saiss has he has only shown it in flashes and gets nowhere near as involved as Price who was always available yesterday. We also know from the Shelvey case that Saiss' English is poor, Price never stopped talking and organising.

Three signings. Central defender, central midfielder and centre forward. If they are "straight into the first team" they are likely to be domestic based players who won't need time to settle.

9 goals in the last 3 games suggest going forward is improving (although not one of those goals from a striker) and for the most part yesterday our defence was comfortable. Their second goal was very preventable but I don't think enough credit has been given to Abraham for his role in their first goal, he looked a real talent

If Lambert is saying to Saiss, watch Jack Price, then fine - but for all the ability Saiss has he has only shown it in flashes and gets nowhere near as involved as Price who was always available yesterday. We also know from the Shelvey case that Saiss' English is poor, Price never stopped talking and organising.

Three signings. Central defender, central midfielder and centre forward. If they are "straight into the first team" they are likely to be domestic based players who won't need time to settle.

9 goals in the last 3 games suggest going forward is improving (although not one of those goals from a striker) and for the most part yesterday our defence was comfortable. Their second goal was very preventable but I don't think enough credit has been given to Abraham for his role in their first goal, he looked a real talent

Spot on TSB, from yesterday's first goal if you were nit picking I think both Doherty (who lost the ball) and Price (who got rolled going for the ball) were at fault but Abraham's movement and touch were brilliant and deserve the plaudits he gets. Pity our brilliant DoF can't get loan signing like him in instead of Grant 'great player' Holt.

Back