• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Watford v Wolves (A) - 01/01/20 Buildup and Matchday thread...

The fact we are generally so tight with regard to conceding goals makes it alll the more frustrating when we gift them to opponents due to personal errors. Ryan Bennet wasn't playing badly against Watford, he was sacrificed. He's worth several Jesus.

Why has Moutinho suddenly taken over free kicks where you ca get a shot in? I'm sure if you asked the other team who do you want to take this free kick, Moutinho or Neves, they'd go for Moutinho every time.

They’ve obviously been practicing in training and he’s getting better results. But his one against City and yesterday was awful. Couldn’t have asked for a better place for that one yesterday either.

Any thoughts that a green kit against green grass is harder to pick out than other non-green colours? (except grey of course)

Any thoughts that a green kit against green grass is harder to pick out than other non-green colours? (except grey of course)

It is as a viewer, looking down on it, but as a player at the same level, no.

Which is why grey was an issue, as it lacks contrast against the stands, people etc

Oh, and the comments regarding Bennett should be moved on asap, I don't buy into them. Donck gave that first goal to watford, and it isn't the first goal he's been primarily responsible for imo. That ain't to say he's shite, he's quality, and I like him. Equally, he's young too.

The writing has been on the wall for Bennett for some time now, yet I'm still not sure his days are gone. He continues to be very effective at RCB.

Bennett was excellent against Liverpool, his distribution isn't the best but defensively and positionally he's very good. I don't rate Dendoncker. He should only be a squad player and only played in midfield when necessary imo. Hopeless as a defender.

I'll let others deconstruct that, I can't be bothered.

I think you get different things from Bennett and Dendoncker. Bennett is a decent foil for Coady and often plays the bodyguard role which against certain sides he needs. Donck plays the ball out of defence better.

Bennett was excellent against Liverpool, his distribution isn't the best but defensively and positionally he's very good. I don't rate Dendoncker. He should only be a squad player and only played in midfield when necessary imo. Hopeless as a defender.

Nonsense.

Dendoncker isn't a bad defender - had an odd game when he wasn't quite there, but so have others.

Him & Bennett are useful in different games in that position - if we need a bodyguard then Bennett is useful, if we don't then Leander will bring it forward with more purpose. Do we need something else to move us further forward, then yes, but both have been worthwhile additions.

Nonsense.
I don't agree that Donk shouldn't ever play as a defender for us, BUT Donk has been part to majorly responsible for a number of goals, and if we still had the blame game thread he would feature pretty high.

Newcastle away, Braga away, Sheff U at home, Man City at home, Watford away come to mind quickly where he could and should have done better.

Think he's been excellent at centre back to be honest. When we have Boly back I think we are looking pretty strong in that area even without a potential new centre back (which I think we will still be looking at)

I don't agree that Donk shouldn't ever play as a defender for us, BUT Donk has been part to majorly responsible for a number of goals, and if we still had the blame game thread he would feature pretty high.

Newcastle away, Braga away, Sheff U at home, Man City at home, Watford away come to mind quickly where he could and should have done better.

Kinda proven the point there, Donk only played in defence in one of those games. The rest were CM.

Kinda proven the point there, Donk only played in defence in one of those games. The rest were CM.
Sheff U and City games he was CB (and the 2nd half v Newcastle, though he lost Lascelles in first half)

Think he's been excellent at centre back to be honest. When we have Boly back I think we are looking pretty strong in that area even without a potential new centre back (which I think we will still be looking at)
Much as I don't agree with the never play him there again point, I don't agree with this either. He doesn't read the game well enough to be a Top 6 centre half, ultimately that's what we are aspiring to be.

Sheff U and City games he was CB (and the 2nd half v Newcastle, though he lost Lascelles in first half)
Sheff Utd was on Doherty for me.

He didn't track his runner and that's what caused the mistake from Dendoncker, if Doherty does his job then Dendoncker can stay in position and Mousset doesn't get a free hit.

Harsh to put the City goal on Donck. That's some ball by KdB to Sterling and there's plenty of players who would've been caught out by that and the pen is Mahrez throwing his foot across.

Sheff Utd was on Doherty for me.

He didn't track his runner and that's what caused the mistake from Dendoncker, if Doherty does his job then Dendoncker can stay in position and Mousset doesn't get a free hit.
Probably fair, either way - it's quite a high % of goals he's been at fault for, not sure Bennett, Saiss or Doc would have escaped the criticism he has, however on the whole he has adapted well to going CB and he and Saiss have meant we haven't missed Boly anywhere near as much as I feared. Only probably 3 or 4 weeks will Boly is back too!

I think Saiss has been superb, both at CB and CM, it all got lost in the VAR shit, but his blazed shot aside he was brilliant against Liverpool. (Not booked since Norwich either, which for him is amazing :) )

When Boly is back we will have strengthened whether we bring anyone else in or not in this window (he's been a big loss & we haven't been disasterous without him - not as good, but that's not surprising).

Incomings will depend on who is available, who wants to sign & who we think is value for money. No CB's then can see us getting through this season with what we have & going again in the summer.

Not sure I agree here.

Newcastle Jota gave it away, then Neves didn’t close down the cross when it switched and then Lascelles our jumped Coady and Saiss (it isn’t Donks role to follow him in there).

Braga away a fluke first, then Doc got rinsed and Saiss and Jonny didn’t mark the back post guy. Then we defended the set piece badly as a team on the 3rd.

Sheff Utd the throw in was defended awfully allowing a cross from a dangerous position and then Doc and Donk went for same ball. Not sure Donk can’t go for that, needed better communication in first place from Doc.

Watford was clearly his fault, and Sterling’s as well but he’s probably getting rinsed by sterling either way.

I don’t think it helps that Doc isn’t as good a defender as Jonny so the right hand side is the weak link.

Why don’t we get the blame game thread back!!

Not for me, Newcastle (amongst others) he was at fault, similar to Braga he just lost his man who ended up getting pretty much a free header, I'd agree if Donk ended up marking someone else, but he just left Lascelles as he ran from deep.

Back