• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

VAR Stay or Go

VAR Stay or Go

• Total voters

Tony Towner

Reaction score
Don't think I can post a poll on someone else's thread, but given today's news what would you do?
Just 2 ground rules.
This is with the current refs under PGMOL and Webb applying the laws in the way they choose to, so the 'it's not VAR it's those that operate it' argument which has merit doesn't apply

Assume semi automated offsides for next season and the improvement that should bring.

Bin if we're having our own pointless bespoke version which doesn't work and makes no sense.

Different answer if we immediately just copy what is in place in UEFA competitions, but we won't.

Also people pretending they were "fine" with obvious offside goals and dives for penalties being given against their team pre-2019 are lying hounds.

Bin if we're having our own pointless bespoke version which doesn't work and makes no sense.

Different answer if we immediately just copy what is in place in UEFA competitions, but we won't.

Also people pretending they were "fine" with obvious offside goals and dives for penalties being given against their team pre-2019 are lying hounds.
I agree with this and watching the EFL you see some howlers which would be cleared up quickly by VAR. I didn't put it as an option as it's not something they'd do but for me Semi Automated Offside and absolute howlers is the way I'd like it to go, even if that means something like the Hwang penalty still gets given

Some people blame VAR itself, some people blame the way it's implemented which won't change. The net result is the same. Bin.

I agree with this and watching the EFL you see some howlers which would be cleared up quickly by VAR. I didn't put it as an option as it's not something they'd do but for me Semi Automated Offside and absolute howlers is the way I'd like it to go, even if that means something like the Hwang penalty still gets given
Whilst I agree, the issue with that is what is an absolute howler? Again a lot of subjectivity so that would then be the argument

Whilst I agree, the issue with that is what is an absolute howler? Again a lot of subjectivity so that would then be the argument
The Henry handball against Ireland was always the example held up to justify it being brought in. I'm talking that sort of bar
The Kilman one shouldn't ever count though, VAR or not.
Before VAR that goal isn't ever being ruled out by any linesman ever. You can debate the merits of whether it's technically offside or not, but not whether it would have been given previously, it just wouldn't have

Bin. The only thing I'd like kept is offside, which is at least objective, preferably with a margin for error greater than a toenail's length applied if a goal is scored, in which case it goes to 'linesman's call'. Also revert to the flag going up immediately an offside is perceived. If the lino gets it wrong, so be it.

I'm definitely in the minority but I would keep it. VAR has produced some poor calls but like Big Mean Bunny, I don't want to go back to the days of absolute howlers and goals that should never have stood being allowed or completely missed by officials. I've seen some terrible calls in the Championship this season, I don't believe the alternative of no VAR is necessarily better albeit both options are flawed.

I've put bin, but I still think it could add value but not in it's current implementation

Back