• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

Which is the guidelines they are meant to be using, instead our refs have gone down the route of searching for and finding 0.1mm of a player offside. The worst thing for me is they appear to delighted with themselves for doing this and despite nearly every fan and pundit shouting at them they think they are in the right.

Mostly you’ll still get the likes of Mat Le Tissier, Michael Owen etc saying offside is offside.
As I’ve said VAR was bought in to stop offside calls like we had against spurs last season, blatant handballs, red cards and penalty appeals. Of the 5 goals chalked of this weekend due to offside no one in years gone by would have complained.
The system is total hypocrisy, had VVD commuted a foul in the build to Liverpool goal it would be disallowed but a handball is to far back to call.
Don’t buy conspiracy theorist we’ve just had bad luck, it’s demoralising as a fan, player etc and an unfair momentum shifter.

Could lead to a problem in some situations though.

Say a fullback carries the ball forwards and his winger comes short for a pass in to feet. Ball played into him and he traps it as the full back makes an overlapping run beyond him. Winger then rolls the ball out behind him into the path of the overlapping fullback without ever taking his foot off the ball.

By the current ruling would you still have to judge whether or not the full back was offside at the first contact? He'd presumably still be deeper than the ball at this point but it could be a few seconds before that touch turns into a pass and he could be clearly in an offside position by then.

Would be interesting to see as he'd look blatantly offside at first view but that interpretation of when the pass commences would muddy the waters.
I agree, and you'd hope in those situations (much like Raul dragging it back to Doc against City) they'd use common sense and go to the last frame before the ball leaves the foot.

So what's your answer?

Just go back to opinions?

Yes but it's opinions with a replay.

Give them say 15 seconds and the best angle available to look at and if they aren't sure then it is onside. Basically bring back the concept that level means onside.

Okay some marginal ones might get argued over by pundits and fans but having seen what happens when we solve this issue, it'd be good to think even your average football fan will understand. it's what IFAB want by the sounds of it.

Just get rid of the lines full stop. Can the VAR review see an obvious error (I.e. Doc last season)? If not then the onfield decision should stand.

The fact that IFAB are wading in suggests they are not amused with the PGMOL interpretations. I expect significant changes to be ordered at the IFAB AGM and these will carry pretty much the weight of laws of the game so Reilly and his cronies will have no choice but to accept them.

the refs shouldn't have been let anywhere near this without someone sensible first defining things for them. i know that this was never going to happen upfront but they seem to be continually showing they have no feel for the game. I listened to Dermot Gallagher talking yesterday and basically saying VAR has got EVERY single offside correct. he then said he was a football fan and wanted to see more goals and raised a further point, that he hadn't realised until Ian Wright said it that forwards were trained to bend their runs and that as a consequence body shape could make a player seem offside. what did he think he's been watching and refereeing all these years - fucking subbuteo?

things like feet position were suggested an age ago, the concept of there being a visible gap used to be an unwritten rule, all because anyone that knows the game would have said it would be stupid to try to apply offside to any sort of extreme that is essentially an attempt to penalise a striker who is level, nevermind the ridiculous lengths and time spent they are having to go through to do just that. meanwhile, rather than using VAR to penalise players who spend their time simulating fouls that never were they are aiding the cheats by freeze framing on contact points, like the pricks they are.

Could lead to a problem in some situations though.

Say a fullback carries the ball forwards and his winger comes short for a pass in to feet. Ball played into him and he traps it as the full back makes an overlapping run beyond him. Winger then rolls the ball out behind him into the path of the overlapping fullback without ever taking his foot off the ball.

By the current ruling would you still have to judge whether or not the full back was offside at the first contact? He'd presumably still be deeper than the ball at this point but it could be a few seconds before that touch turns into a pass and he could be clearly in an offside position by then.

Would be interesting to see as he'd look blatantly offside at first view but that interpretation of when the pass commences would muddy the waters.

I"m presuming the call would be made as soon as the winger started to move the ball forward?

Dermot Gallagher is a patsy apologist, has been ever since Sky gave him a job

Question? Does the IFAB have any authority over PMGOL.

Christ this is boring. VAR has taken over everything. It’s all pervading, every comment, every match report, every newspaper article is all VAR. It’s dull, shit and got nothing to do with football.

I agree with you for not using it for offside, if it's tight you could go with the on field call (70% chance of being right) or give the advantage to the attacking team.

It's hard to know what a howler is if you don't define the rule though. I'd still like to know what your version of the offside rule would be.

I probably can’t articulate what I want to say very well. But basically the current rule.

Are you goalside of the defender and therefore gaining an advantage. Now you might say Jonny was goal side because his toe was, even though common sense tells you he wasn’t. But you can’t make a rule/law on common sense.

He certainly didn’t gain an advantage from where he was but again this is just opinion/common sense rather than a clear rule.

Now the rule could be “to the naked eye is he offside (ahead of the last defender)”. I understand this is opinion and not science. But we have created a problem which wasn’t there. People didn’t have an issue with Pukki, Jonny etc. Goals being given. People had an issue with Auba being flagged when he was 3 yards onside (a howler). It took one replay in 5 seconds to see the error, no one can argue with it, it was a howler.

Freeze frame, draw a line. The way sky have been doing it for 20 years. Make a decision. If you can’t the on field decision stands. It shouldn’t be this difficult and that was is how IFAB intended.

As I said, PGMOL have made an issue which wasn’t there.

Hypothetical question.Wolves are winning 1-0 and Liverpool score the same goal as we did. Do you think it would have been disallowed? I would like to think it would,but not confident it would have been.

Hypothetical question.Wolves are winning 1-0 and Liverpool score the same goal as we did. Do you think it would have been disallowed? I would like to think it would,but not confident it would have been.

I think it would. Liverpool had the first armpit offside goal ruled out v Villa

IFAB are the ultimate arbiters of the laws so I would imagine so yes. Mike Riley probably disagrees though.

Well Riley had the IFAB on his case last year when he instructed all Prem Refs that if they see a handball involved in a goal, delibrate or not to rule it out which went against the IFAB rules at the time, so he is happy to create his own version of rules it seems

While all this var shit seems to impact more on teams like us and Sheff Utd, I'm not buying into this conspiracy bollocks, just don't believe the officials are out get us or rule in favour of the big 6

IFAB are the ultimate arbiters of the laws so I would imagine so yes. Mike Riley probably disagrees though.

If Riley's not listening to the IFAB he should be sacked. He is not fit for purpose to do the job.

If Riley's not listening to the IFAB he should be sacked. He is not fit for purpose to do the job.

That's been known for a while. He never should've got the job in the first place, the mans a first class arsehole. Shitheads like him and Swarbrick should be booted by the FA who are the ultimate stakeholder the PGMIL are concerned with.

Not sure the blazered old bellends have it in them though.

Now this may be bollocks but I am going for it anyway. In for a penny and all that

VAR is detrimental to sides outside the big six as invariably they will create fewer chances against the big six so getting one chalked off could have been their only real strike. I believe you need to play really well to beat any of the big six at any time whoever you are. You hope that 1. they are a bit off colour and 2. you get the breaks.
VAR is neutralising number 2.

Back