• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ukraine

I’m worried it could be the last act of a desperate man, if Russia gets bogged down in Ukraine, but I’m optimistic enough to think the generals wouldn’t do it.
There’s been 2-3 instances where Russians have been given the order and disobeyed,
Vasily Arkipov
Stanislaw Petrov,
There was a nato exercise called able archer that bought us all closer to nuclear war since the Cuban missile crisis as well

If there's a "single-button launch" nuclear system in the world, I've never heard of it.

I think the general Russian knows quite well the horrors of a nuclear event, given they've seen it happen on their doorstep (more than once, depending on how you look at it).

Arkhipov also had final veto on the order, he was within his rights.

Just as there are Ukrainians sacrificing their lives at the moment I hope there will be a Russian that is prepared to do the same by assassinating Putin if he isn't first removed by collective action. No doubt the truth of what is happening in Ukraine will gradually work it's way into the general population of Russia and small anti-war protests will grow to the point where literally thousands show opposition and this might embolden some in Putin's inner circle to take action. We can but hope it happens before millions of Ukrainians are killed as he decides to go down the route of victory at any cost.

Problem is I don't see how Russia end this without losing face. EU are now arming the Ukraine and the world is pretty much against Russia.

Russian propaganda is a very powerful thing so I'm not so sure that there isn't anyone who isn't drinking the kool aid.

Germany have announced they're going to diversify their energy sources and spend more on defence. Sanctions are going to bite hard and I reckon their economy crashes tomorrow with a big run on the banks.

Russian military has been proven that it doesn't need to be feared. The only card they do have seems to be nukes.

Putin has proper fucked them, and that is a concern

Problem is I don't see how Russia end this without losing face. EU are now arming the Ukraine and the world is pretty much against Russia.

Russian propaganda is a very powerful thing so I'm not so sure that there isn't anyone who isn't drinking the kool aid.

Germany have announced they're going to diversify their energy sources and spend more on defence. Sanctions are going to bite hard and I reckon their economy crashes tomorrow with a big run on the banks.

Russian military has been proven that it doesn't need to be feared. The only card they do have seems to be nukes.

Putin has proper fucked them, and that is a concern
They get rid of Putin and withdraw immediately from Ukraine and the world will give them a break. As long as Putin remains it's hard to see a way out and he will become more desperate and civilian deaths won't bother him and it will be subdue Ukraine at all costs.

Just as there are Ukrainians sacrificing their lives at the moment I hope there will be a Russian that is prepared to do the same by assassinating Putin if he isn't first removed by collective action. No doubt the truth of what is happening in Ukraine will gradually work it's way into the general population of Russia and small anti-war protests will grow to the point where literally thousands show opposition and this might embolden some in Putin's inner circle to take action. We can but hope it happens before millions of Ukrainians are killed as he decides to go down the route of victory at any cost.
Tbf there are some extremely brave Russians protesting all over their country, whether that will have an effect I don't know, hopefully there are enough to force some sort of change

The stories of people staying to fight is just so heartbreaking.

So many people can't even fathom what having war in their homeland would be like. Myself amongst them.

This is going to sound made up, but stick with it,
I’ve a bus driving mate married to a Belorussian girl, who along with her family were evacuated to Ukraine after Chernobyl ( they were just over the border, soviet troops just bundled the village on a Kyev bus) her family have lived there ever since, anyway her parents are knocking on a bit now, so my mate and his mrs have moved to Kyev to look after them, pair of them popped up on Facebook last night, in full combat gear, armed with AK’s saying they’re ready to fight for their adopted country.
Hopefully it won’t come to that, is it daft of me to feel proud of him? I don’t think it is.

Pretty worried today for Ukraine, Russia getting bogged down in their invasion. How long before they ramp up the aggression with more artillery shelling and air power. Experts on radio 4 suggesting that Russia have a different mind set about nuclear options and would be prepared to use 'battlefield' nuclear weapons.

Listening to an expert on 5 Live, there seems little hope that anyone close to Putin is going to stand up against him, he's surrounded himself with 'advisors' who agree with him. The best possibility of getting rid of him is the mass protests taking place in Russia growing and gathering support from the ordinary troops and police who are sent to put the protests down. This is a possibility, and represents the best hope for bringing him down. Another Russian Revolution.

FMq1YNwXwAIqkAo

Boris just manages to become a bigger embarrassment every time he opens his mouth.
Eu waives all paperwork for 3 years and this fat cunt, doing everything to help Ukrainians offers room for direct relatives of British citizens. If the guy who shoots #Putler has a double barrell shotgun that would be a blessing.

Think we are still doing a points based system for them as well, dunno how many points invaded by Russians gives you, we’ve apparently shut the only place in Ukraine we had where they could apply as well.
Tories gotta Tory

Now limiting Ukrainian refugee numbers, because Russian fundamentalist/terrorists could be coming in pretending to be Ukrainian, never stopped them before when they were pretending to be tourists wanting to see Salisbury cathedral

Here comes Johnny to tell us that all these foreign policy experts are stupid and what they say is absolute bullshit...

Kissinger???? A bloke who probably played a hand in the assassination of Allende because the US saw Chile as part of the Soviet threat?

This is the 21st century, people want to be free and have the right to self-determination, not be shuffled around a chessboard within "spheres of influence" of empires fallen.

Back