• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

My niece with her double first in Spanish from Oxford and two years living and working in Spain as part of the degree would. You don’t think they teach dialect? Really? Fucking hell man

My niece with her double first in Spanish from Oxford and two years living and working in Spain as part of the degree would. You don’t think they teach dialect? Really? Fucking hell man
Mebbe
I asked for a Cortado in Barcelona did not have a fucking clue.

I walked into a Shop in Barcelona, Spoke woman started Laughing and said, You live in Andalusia, she was from Cordoba and recognised straight away.

Do an English degree do they teach Yam Yam, Geordie.

Fuck me i said in Glasgow look at the fucking Syrup in him that has no clue.

I speak English
Fuck me get some Southern Irish in the bar I struggle to understand them.

Syrup of Fig, Wig

Mebbe
I asked for a Cortado in Barcelona did not have a fucking clue
Even when I was doing basic business French to get by working for the owners of castorama I was specifically taught different dialects and accent recognition for places like Marseilles and Lyon as the basic language is taught in Parisian French.

And you don’t think degrees cover this? Really? Fucking give me strength. You are making yourself sound like an idiot.

Got a brickie coming round next week to sort me out a new wall. 20 years experience he says and he's listed all his professional qualifications.

I plan on saying to him "look pal, you might have watched a few episodes of Auf Wiedersehen Pet but that doesn't *actually* mean you know your stuff". Should go well.

I could go and ask for orange chips in cornwall and they wouldn’t have a clue what I was on about. I’m not talking a different language FFS. And this stemming from JL doing a fucking interview in English and it’s “lost in translation”

Even when I was doing basic business French to get by working for the owners of castorama I was specifically taught different dialects and accent recognition for places like Marseilles and Lyon as the basic language is taught in Parisian French.

And you don’t think degrees cover this? Really? Fucking give me strength. You are making yourself sound like an idiot.
It's not about dialects, it's about different words meaning different things

Cortado means cut in Spanish
It means strong Coffee or cut in Andaluz

Reactions: Doc
Lopetegui speaks Basque not Spanish.

I have nothing but Admiration for Deutsch ability.

I am sitting with Spanish Born Brits (Guiris) who are pissing themselves that you lot think you can just go that word means that.

They can't even do that, and with the biggest respect to Deutsche they speak English as well as you and Spanish 10 times better, they were schooled in Spanish school and speak Native

Oh, I get it.

What language are you speaking? It mustn’t be English.

Step back for a second.

I don't speak Spanish. I speak French and German. I've done so for around 30 years. I literally translate for a living. I'm telling you that a lot of the time, yes, there is a direct FR/DE->EN translation, you originally (days ago FFS) said there wasn't, that's bollocks, Spanish is no different. Not that Lopetegui was even speaking Spanish, or Basque, or anything other than English to English journalists.

Please do not try to lecture me on linguistics or say I've blagged it all off a free app :D Because you don't know what you're talking about. It'd be like me telling Brian Cox that he hasn't got a clue about Physics and he should have stuck to keyboards.

Breaking: different languages have different words for the same things!

Step back for a second.

I don't speak Spanish. I speak French and German. I've done so for around 30 years. I literally translate for a living. I'm telling you that a lot of the time, yes, there is a direct FR/DE->EN translation, you originally (days ago FFS) said there wasn't, that's bollocks, Spanish is no different. Not that Lopetegui was even speaking Spanish, or Basque, or anything other than English to English journalists.

Please do not try to lecture me on linguistics or say I've blagged it all off a free app :D Because you don't know what you're talking about. It'd be like me telling Brian Cox that he hasn't got a clue about Physics and he should have stuck to keyboards.
Qué Tal literally mean How Such
It means How are you.
I envy you being so good at languages. I would love to be able to chat to Spanish friends perfectly.
All I am saying is there is no literal translation between English and Spanish in every instance .

Glasgow, there is a thing in linguistics called intelligibility. You can have different types of intelligibility, asymmetric or symmetric depending on if the understanding is one way or mutual or whether the understanding is written or verbal.

Languages are split into different 'families' such as romantics, germanics, slavics etc.

Among others, Spanish, Italian, French are romantics.

Among others, Dutch and German are Germanic.

English is three languages in a trenchcoat masquerading as one.

My partner also speaks French and German and lived in Lille and Karlsruhe, but in her working life she has worked with a Dutch woman and based on her fluency German she was able to start deciphering written Dutch without studying it.

Her French fluency has yielded a similar ability with weitten Italian and Spanish.

To suggest there are no translations is bonkers.

Glasgow is conflating the point. He's actually right on the point he is making that the dialect in Andalusia is nothing like "normal" Spanish. I've actually lived there and had links to the area longer than him even if not there now. My brother is fluent in it. It's basically Geordie English. But it's still Spanish.

However that's not the point others are talking about "there is no literal translation" (you can literally translate geordie english too, even if google can't), and even further from the point about Julen's spanish (even though he spoke in english).

Errrr. That’s what a regional dialect is. Ask for a pint of Scotch in a London pub with a geordie accent and see the look you get

'Cortado' in that context is just a shortened (no pun intended) form of the formal 'café cortado'. The literal translation is cut cofee 'i.e. an expresso diluted (cut) with milk to reduce (cut) the bitterness of the coffee.

Last edited:
Back