• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

I dont get this whole 'i dont like him' bollocks.

It's sport, not a popularity contest. I like to see British sportmen and women do well because it reflects well on my country. A lot of winners are actualy people you probably wouldnt choose to go out for a beer with, thats often what gives them an edge. Nick Faldo was a right tosser when he had to worry about winning golf tournaments, now he's retired he's become a nice bloke, apparently. Kevin Peiterson comes accross as a bit of wanker as well, but guesse what, he's a winner.

As it happens I like Murray anyway. He doesnt play the media game, he does things his way and doesnt give a shit what people think of him. He seems like an ok sort of guy to me as well, very understated and probbaly doesnt like doing interviews which is why he comes accross a little awkward

His misses is very attractive as well, in a very natural kind of way. She most certainly adds to the spectacle whenever he plays.

Nick Faldo came across as dour when competing and fucking despised a lot of the media at the time (because of non-golf reasons). However, when I met him at Woburn one year and he was doing a tutorial he was genuinely hilarious. Drier than Ghandhi's sandals, and loved taking the piss out of Bernhard Langer who was on the driving range next to the exhibition.

Laura Robson is continuing her winning run. Into the quarter finals in china having beaten the 2nd seed...

Laura Robson is continuing her winning run. Into the quarter finals in china having beaten the 2nd seed...

She won her quarter final earlier and is in to the semis now.

That's very impressive, perhaps the Olympics was a turning point for her.

She is into the final now after a straight sets victory.

Great stuff. Fantastic progress the last few months. Hope she can grab her first WTA title!

Laura put up a great fight fight in the final, but was just edged out. Her turn will come.

Heather Watson now 4-3 down in the decider.

5-4 now to Sharapova who is serving for the match.

Sharapova wins its but it took her over 3 hours to do so. A great fight by Watson and lets hope that she can start turning these near misses into victories against the worlds best.

Unfortunately I overslept and missed this. Meant to be cheering Heather on at 7.30 this morning! Good to see she had another close game against Sharapova, and has bounced back from Robson passing her as British #1. Bit of healthy competition there and it'd be great to see them both top 20 by the end of next year.

Heather Watson has made here first WTA tour final in Japan and Andy Murray is into the final of the Shanghai masters after beating Federer. British tennis looks to be in very good hands right now in both the mens and womens game.

This is an another phenomenonal contest.

Congratulations to Heather Watson, who won her final!

Last edited:
I think that means she'll be into the top 50, rankings wise.
Robson is just outside too.

How is murray v djokovic going along?

Finished hours ago! Murray won the first set but threw away a load of championship points and Djokovic ended up taking it. Murray will actually lose ranking points because he won this tournament last year.

Novak won in three. Andy had 5 championship points in the second set but lost in an outstanding tie break. Pretty frustrating, but a brilliant game nevertheless.

Finished hours ago! Murray won the first set but threw away a load of championship points and Djokovic ended up taking it. Murray will actually lose ranking points because he won this tournament last year.

:icon_lol:

Cheers lads.

Come on Laura - 1 set all with the Number 8 seed - Kvitova

Back